Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Liqwid Rider
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken the four bolts out of the rear of the chrome fender baseplate (for mounting a sissy bar) to replace them with chrome or polished SS? I'm a little hesitant to try to remove them since you can't see what they fasten to.

·
Registered
885 Posts
AKvrod said:
Has anyone taken the four bolts out of the rear of the chrome fender baseplate (for mounting a sissy bar) to replace them with chrome or polished SS? I'm a little hesitant to try to remove them since you can't see what they fasten to.
They bolt into an extension on the frame which supports the pillion seat. It's no problem, do them one at a time. :thumb:

·
Liqwid Rider
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
african paul said:
They bolt into an extension on the frame which supports the pillion seat. It's no problem, do them one at a time. :thumb:
Thanks, I figured it would be OK, but I don't like removing something w/o knowing what's underneath. Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
885 Posts
AKvrod said:
Thanks, I figured it would be OK, but I don't like removing something w/o knowing what's underneath. Thanks for the quick reply.
Hang on a sec', I'm just gonna go look at my bike & check that.

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
The four bolts to the rear are cosmetic bolts. Their really short and only screw into the base plate.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
AKvrod said:
Has anyone taken the four bolts out of the rear of the chrome fender baseplate
There are a total of twelve fasteners in the chrome fender baseplate. There are four which are normally hidden underneath the pillion pad, which actually secure the baseplate to the frame. These, obviously, are the most critical.

There are two small fasteners on each side, which are used to hold the arms of the sissybar.

There are four short fasteners at the very back part of the baseplate. In my application these are cosmetic, and simply thread into the body of the baseplate. They do not contact the bodywork or the frame. They may (?) be used to secure the rear luggage rack.

H-D recently brought out a chromed set of dressup fender baseplate fasteners. These replaced the last eight ones I listed.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Yep those 4 bolts are to fill the holes if you don't have a rack they're only about 1/2" long.
Ed

·
Liqwid Rider
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vroddrew said:
H-D recently brought out a chromed set of dressup fender baseplate fasteners. These replaced the last eight ones I listed.
Yeah, I was only talking about the four seemingly cosmetic ones. Do you know the part number for the kit you mentioned?

·
Registered
885 Posts
vroddrew said:
There are a total of twelve fasteners in the chrome fender baseplate. There are four which are normally hidden underneath the pillion pad, which actually secure the baseplate to the frame. These, obviously, are the most critical.

Sorry, I thought these were the bolts you meant. :hmm:

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
I installed the chrome dress-up kit last weekend. You usually can't do much on the V-Rod for $10.

One word of caution when installing them: Be very careful you don't strip the heads removing the old fasteners. Because these screws are exposed to the elements they seem especially prone to galling. One of the 4mm screws that secure the sissybar to the baseplate had seized on mine (and I had already slightly damaged the head). I ended up having to take the baseplate off the bike, build a special jig to hold it, and then use a drillpress to remove the head. The best part of 45 minutes to remove one (1) screw..... Of course, the original had been installed before I discovered the joy of Loctite.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts