Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals, any of you installed the Fender base plate?
Any special considerations?
I don't know how easy it is since it looks like I'll have to drill holes in the fender to get the bolts through.
So I figured I ask before screwing something up.

If it is a touchy operation, then I'll probably just have the dealer do it. Would prefer to save the $ though, specially if it is a no-brainer.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
mvrod it is a five minute install. No drilling, no new holes simply longer bolts in existing holes.

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
yeh, you'll also need to go to Sears and buy one of the motorcycle stands (on sale for $99), a set of those cool new ratcheting wrenches (metric and standard), a battery tender, and a new leaf blower :sinister: ...I'm sure you will use those things sometime!

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
Hardest part is getting the adhesive pad straight on the bottom!
M~

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yeah... adhesive pad a little tricky to keep straight. You will also likely need to trim it a bit around the perimeter.

Also, note that your seat won't quite close as cleanly as before. But it does close.

If you didn't buy the sissy bar/backrest with it, you may not get the 4 chrome cosmetic screws in the kit. Mine came with standard screws. But the sissy bar came with chrome screws.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Yea, mine came with the chrome screws, 2 metric and 2 SAE :( Replaced them all with stainless metric bolts from the local ACE :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot for the info guys!
I will definitely do it myself.
I'll also ask for the chrome screws when I get mine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
mvrod, you might also want to put a strip of adhesive foam tape around the edges (like stuff you can put around doors and windows) to keep it from leaving marks and scratches on your rear fender. Works pretty well and I have never left a mark on my fender.

·
2,552 Posts
Ozzy,

Do you remove the base plate from time to time. The reason I ask is I want to use the base plate with my Corbin touring seat and remove it when I install my Corbin Hollywood Solo seat to show my V-Rod.

Frank

·
Registered
136 Posts
Frank, that is pretty much what I do. I have the dual tour for longer rides then remove for my solo seat. And if you don't put a little extra foam under it there will be an indention left right where the baseplate it.

I probably removed it 10-12 times this last year.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just put on my baseplate and I don't like the look of the side holes without the backrest in place. You get the four cosmetic screws for the top but nothing for the sides...what's up with that? I only use the back rest once in a while.

Has anyone found/made some nice looking pieces to put in place when I don't want the backrest on???

Low profile chrome pieces that screw in would be nice. I'd even consider black rubber plugs.

Any other creative ideas out there?

·
Registered
214 Posts
If I can find them, I'm going to put some polished stainless steel Set Screws in the side holes. They should sit nice and flush.

What would really be nice is 2 small chrome V-ROD logo plates with rubber shafts to put there.

Leon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts