Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi want to fit a fender baseplate but have not got the rubber gasket ?

does anyone know if you can buy this ?

or if you really do need it ?

or have you used something else ?

cheers

·
brett
9,338 Posts
not sure about a gasket ,but i have to replace mine. if i want to use the base plate again ,my gasket sort of melted to the fender last time i had it on and i plan to use some thin wet suit material i think it called neoprene,but i wouldnt just put the base plate on ur fender metal on paint isnt going to be good no matter how short the time is .its gunna mark it it

·
VROD JUNKIE
1,390 Posts
The stock gasket is crap.

I got some stick on felt and cut it to size once stuck to the base plate. It works OK but it still slightly marks the paint after extended use.

Neoprene is a good idea Brett... maybe an old mouse pad could do the trick.

I am starting to think the base pate is a fit or don't fit to your bike item. If you don't fit it paint is fine. If you do fit it, even just for those long trips to run the luggage rack, you are going to mark the rear fender in some way.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
yeah the stuff im thinking of besides thin wetsiut stuff is the stuff they put under the non mark bags and stuff cut to size and a couple of dobs of silicone to hold it to the base plate

·
~*~VDRNLN JUNKIE~*~
667 Posts
I used mole skin for a compound bow to make one for the base plate with the one piece rack, no longer can get the gasket for that one from Harley

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I used foam tape my gasket wore down and destroyed my rear fender paint under it...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
No matter what you use it will still mess up the paint. I used that thick 3M tape that is marketed as a skuff guards for skis and the original gasket.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
i just bought some stuff exactly the same and sticky on the back from a store called CLARKE RUBBER to put between my fender bracket and fender yesterday,,while ive got it im going to get the old shite off the base plate and repair that gasket also

any idea what to use to get the old one off with with out hurting the chrome

1 - 8 of 8 Posts