Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
'02 V-Rod #1910
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a bit long...

I'm trying to figure out what to do next and if my old and/or new battery is defective or if there is a problem with the charging system, or perhaps something else???

Last week, after leaving the ignition on all day and completely draining my battery, I charged the battery enough to get it started, drove it home, and charged it overnight. All seemed fine for the next week, other than an occasional stalling and rough idle (which was manageable, but far from ideal).

I made a service appointment the following week and dropped my '02 v-rod off at the local dealer for the 12.5K mile service and explained about the battery being drained/recharged and about the rough idle and stalling and the sporadic gas gauge. I picked up my bike the following day. The service was complete, except that they had replaced the airbox cover with the new air sensor, but did not have the correct cartridge for the ECM flash, and told me it was not a problem to ride it until the cartridge was available (3-5 days). The gas gauge remains unchanged. Regardless, the bike seemed to run better and they assured me that it would run even better with the new ECM flash.

So I'm on a poker run today, some 50 miles from home, and the engine light and battery light are on for a while, off for a while, one on then the other, then off 9for about 15 or so miles), then the engine starts losing power and all the gages bottom out and the engine quits, just as I am pulling into the midway stop of the poker run.

I jump start the bike with cables, it seems to be running OK but then dies again. After 3 attempts, I call my pals at the start of the poker run for some help and one of them hops into his truck, grabs his ramp, picks up a new battery and comes to bail me out. I put the new battery in, put it all back together and I'm good to go... for about 45 miles. The engine and battery lights come on again so I get off the freeway, make is another 2 miles and the bike starts running rough, losing power, the gages bottom out and the engine quits. There's not enough juice in the battery to start it, so my buddy, along with some random dude and I, pack it into the back of his truck for the remaining 3 miles to the dealer. Now I have 2 dead batteries (not even certain if the original one needed replacement), a bike that doesn't run, and a partially completed idle improvement upgrade.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the possible cause(s) and solution(s) to the problems at hand, and have an uneasy feeling that the service department's level of knowledge about the v-rod is less than optimal.

Thanks for reading my long-winded post. Any information, suggestions or comments are welcome.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Dave it does sound as though you have a charging system problem. When you left the key on for the day you very well could have damaged either the regulator or the generator field. Most likely the regulator got very hot and while not moving to get any air it damaged circuits inside it. It should be a simple test for the dealership to determine the culprit of your problems.

Max

·
'02 V-Rod #1910
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Max. The dealer's service dept. is closed on Mondays so hopefully I'll find out more tommorrow. I'll keep you posted.

cheers, :cool:

dave

·
found my old avatar
1,200 Posts
Max said:
Dave it does sound as though you have a charging system problem. When you left the key on for the day you very well could have damaged either the regulator or the generator field. Most likely the regulator got very hot and while not moving to get any air it damaged circuits inside it. It should be a simple test for the dealership to determine the culprit of your problems.

Max
I have had 2 new batteries since the bike was new. If these gel batteries go completely dead, are they toast? I boosted both and got the bike to run, but it died when the booster cables were removed. Is the alternator not enough to run the bike? This would be quite a pickle if you were in the middle of nowhere, but got a boost. On the first occasion, it would keep running if the revs were kept up, but then stall and fail to start if it slowed down. Obviously, the electronics require a fairly large minimum voltage to keep functioning. Other threads on this forum have indicated that these batteries are top-notch, but my experience has been different. Comments?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Kerryw many batteries simply will not discharge all the way and then recharge. Unlike a deep cycle battery that is made to go dead and then recharge most automotive batteries if done this way will fail. Same thing seems true with batteries that I get under warranty all the time. It seems like a trip to the body shop is almost always certain death for a battery. They either leave a door or hood open for days and give the battery a slow and complete discharge and many never return to life.

As far as leaving the key on by mistake I also see regulators fried and even ignition coils melted down from people leaving the keys on and forgetting about them.

Max

1 - 5 of 5 Posts