Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:
I have a couple of questions that I would welcome advice and comment on, but first a little background may help...Bought myself an '03 on Christmas eve...my first bike since I was a young teenager over 40 years ago. I was initially drawn to the V-Rod because of its artful form...this machine is sculpture! Took the local Safety Council training and got my license mid-Feb.and have enjoyed almost 3,000 km since then (in Vanvouver you can ride just about all year if you can handle some rain)...Chopper Steve did his magic and sent up the V-Modded SE's and PCIII, Doc shot me his spectacular lights (nothing but rave comments), got a Windvest (@ 6'3" I'm looking fwd to the 18" model) and a Corbin Touring seat setup. I am so thoroughly enjoying myself that I get cramps in my face from smiling so much as I explore the beautiful Pacific northwest on the V-Rod.
Now, to my questions (finally):
1. The V-Rod already has a relatively wide rear tire, and I see 200, 240 packages available, and PM I understand, is working on a 280 setup! My question is related to handling with a wide rear tire. Are there different handling characteristics because of this type super-wide tire arrangement?
2. Floorboards: Has anyone got any observations/experience regarding driver floorboards for the V-Rod. I see Cyclevisions has an adapter kit that allows you to use HD FB's.
Didn't mean to be so long-winded on my first post, but I want to close by saying how much I enjoy this forum. The level of knowledge and willingness to share experiences between this group's members makes this the top forum I've found anywhere...on any subject! Kudos to all those whose obvious efforts make this such a great site.
Looking fwd to participating more in this group.
Thx, Ted.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Welcome, Ted! Lucky you to live in Vancouver. What a beautiful city! And the riding must be fabulous around there.

Well, I've had a 200 on my bike since sometime last fall/winter and rode a stock 180 not too long ago. I couldn't believe the difference. I think my bike was in the shop a long time before I had the 200 put on, so when I started riding again, I didn't notice any difference. After being on the stock bike recently, however, I was surprised at how much easier the 180 is to turn. I'm probably going back to the 180 on my next set of tires, altho I've liked the stability of the 200 over rough roads, on gravel, etc. I also recently rode an Iron Horse with a 240 rear tire. The whole experience scared the living whatever out of me, but trying to initiate a turn with that 240 was WORK. Now, I'm not a big burly guy, so it's probably less of a problem for male types than for me, but I'm thinking the wider tires take some of the fun out of the v-rod.

Don't know about the floorboards. I have heel rests on my footpegs which cause them to extend out about 1/4" further than normal and the danged things scrape all the time on me now. Seems like it would be even worse with floorboards, but I don't have direct experience with them. They would sure be comfortable on long, straight rides, tho.

Again, welcome!

Val

·
Registered
69 Posts
Cobra floorboards

I have Cobra floorboards via the Cyclevisions mounts and I love them, but then again I love my Electraglide. The V-rod is a fabulous machine but nothing rides like the Electraglide.

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
See my posts (2)

epated,

See my post(s) of 3-5-04 and 3-16-04 in V-rod General section for photos and chat about the ones I adapted to my '03. I am still in love with them.
good luck. redrazor

·
1,738 Posts
Try the Kuryakyn Switchblades, best of both worlds. Extend the stirrips for the open road, and keep them closed for the twisties and short hops. Hope to do some BC touring this summer. Hasn't this been a great spring so far? Val moved from here just as the climate changed for the better.

Fred

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
You have what I would my love for my Vrod, a fantastic place to ride it. I'd love to live in Vancouver. but no chance unless I can invest millions.

I love the look of these big tyres too and have seen a few 280's and the tread does not appear to wrap around the sides much so they appear very flat. I would have to try a Vrod with the big tyre before I spend, could be a very exspensive mistake, albeit a very cool looking one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts