Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
backcracker
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we have a number of guys with the fat tire setup on the forum, so which is the best? Before we sink cash into the bike, cash to performance ratio, which ranks as #1?
I would hate to drop the coin and then be angry later.
Let's hear it guys!! :hyper:

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
I love the 240. Maybe 3/4" off center. The fender I have accounts for it and lines it all up cosmetically.

·
Registered
154 Posts
how much npicklo?

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
It was 3650 for the rims, 400 for the tires, 300 for the rear fender, then paint, suspension, etc....The bike handles fine, I do not swerve in and out of traffic so the little reaction time I lost was not noticable. I like it, I feel I have more control.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Didn't someone post a manufacture that would widen the factory wheel to allow the wider tire and does anyone remember who it was?

Max

·
Registered
582 Posts
Max said:
Didn't someone post a manufacture that would widen the factory wheel to allow the wider tire and does anyone remember who it was?

Max
I don't think that this is who you are thinking of Max, but Speed point (www.speed-point.com) will sell a fatter OEM tire. I think it runs in the drivetrain centerline.

Rodman

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
Max said:

Max
Speed Point will widen the V-rod rim to keep the stock look, but will allow for a wider tire. I am posting some excerpts from my e-mails with them:

- What do you to do the rims to make them wider?
welding

- Is the seam visible?
no

- Are the modified rims structural safe?
yes, they are german TÜV approved

- Does anything change with the pulleys, drive, etc.
you need front offset pulley

- What new / different parts do I need?
- offset pulley?
yes

- Brake rotor spacer?
yes, but we do not carry them for the moment. Sorry

- belt modification?
no

- stock fender or new fender?
stock fender with easy modifications on the black underconstruction

- what other parts...???
new axle spacers and washers for the front pulley cover and maybe washers for the shocks

I am going to ask Max how to add their price list to this post.

·
Submariner
186 Posts
Has anyone actually gone this route? I'd like to see the final product and get a feel for actual degree of pain.

·
21 Posts
npicklo said:
I love the 240. Maybe 3/4" off center. The fender I have accounts for it and lines it all up cosmetically.
What are the weight of the 8"x18" rear wheel from Ricks?
I like the look of these wheels!!

karera

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
I am slightly confused. Widening the rear rim is the same thing as buying a wider rear rim as far as the centerline goes. With Rick's I had to use an offset front pulley, no belt mods, and could have used the OEM fender with the minor mods. I think some may misunderstand. As far as the weight goes, it felt lighter than the OEM but I have no clue the weight. And yes that is a BPP fender.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts