Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what’s up ya’ll! I just got a 2016 night rod earlier today and when I rode it home (200miles) I noticed my clutch wouldn’t engage until almost all the way out. Since I come from having a sportster 48 I thought I could adjust the clutch lever, but came home to find out that you couldn’t do that in vrods since they have a hydraulic clutch. So my question is? Is it normal for a 2016 vrod with only 2200 miles on it to have that “problem”? What would you recommend? And by the way the clutch is not slipping and all the gears engage smoothly. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Hey what’s up ya’ll! I just got a 2016 night rod earlier today and when I rode it home (200miles) I noticed my clutch wouldn’t engage until almost all the way out. Since I come from having a sportster 48 I thought I could adjust the clutch lever, but came home to find out that you couldn’t do that in vrods since they have a hydraulic clutch. So my question is? Is it normal for a 2016 vrod with only 2200 miles on it to have that “problem”? What would you recommend? And by the way the clutch is not slipping and all the gears engage smoothly. Thanks in advance!
There is no adjustment for where the clutch engages on a VRSC bike.

Hydraulic clutches don't have free play. Every time you operate the clutch, the actuator piston moves against the clutch springs to release the clutch and then when clutch hydraulic pressure is released the springs push the piston back to the same resting position. As the friction plates wear, the resting position of the actuator piston moves further back sending the excess fluid back to the reservoir. IOW, the clutch reservoir level rises as the clutch wears.

When the clutch plates are worn out, the actuator piston will be moved back far enough to bottom out and prevent the clutch from engaging causing the clutch to slip. The slipper clutch (first used on the 2008 VRSC) has ramps that add dynamic clutch pressure that will somewhat offset this "worn out" slippage but there will still be reduced holding torque when the plates are worn.

If your clutch is holding and disengaging properly, the only maintenance required is fluid flushing and replacement at least every two years (more often in humid climates). DOT-4 is used for 2006 and newer models, DOT-5 for earlier bikes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.