Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Boss Noss'n Muscle
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thundermax's new map #550 turns the fans on at 219. The old map turned them on barely over 200.

From the research I've done on here, looks like stock is 217. This correct? If so, you guys like 219?

Thanks!
Tom

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I've had my fans turning on at 219 since the second week of purchasing the TMAX over 2yrs ago. Works fine for me.

·
Boss Noss'n Muscle
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was this on a stock Thundermax map or did you change it? All of my 1250 and test maps from James came on much sooner...

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
79 Posts
Its got to be hot...

I have noticed here lately that my fans are staying on longer than I have noticed in the past. This is what I have noticed.

Depart home in the a.m. and my fan might come on for a minute or two while waiting in line to get through the security gate. total trip = 25 miles.

Depart work in the p.m. and have come to a red light after traveling 8 miles at 45-70 mph and the fan is already on.

Most of my drive is spent moving with the exception of 2 traffic lights. Is it possible that I'm doing harm to the bike riding it when is this hot and humid outside. Temps this week have been around 100 with the feels like temp around 105 or more.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
re: MyMuscle

Just like most cars now days with electric radiator fans, as long as your cooling system is functioning properly you'll be fine. If it's warmer out, the fans will simply run longer to help with the cooling.

While in development the V-Rod was run to full temp on a track, then put in a roofless "shed" to bake in the Arizona sun / heat for long periods of time. Then it was taken right back out on the track for more abuse. Passed the test with flying colors. That's one of the amazing tricks your bike can do vs. any air cooled Harley... it will maintain temp to a fairly narrow window no matter what the conditions are.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
I have noticed here lately that my fans are staying on longer than I have noticed in the past. This is what I have noticed.

Depart home in the a.m. and my fan might come on for a minute or two while waiting in line to get through the security gate. total trip = 25 miles.

Depart work in the p.m. and have come to a red light after traveling 8 miles at 45-70 mph and the fan is already on.

Most of my drive is spent moving with the exception of 2 traffic lights. Is it possible that I'm doing harm to the bike riding it when is this hot and humid outside. Temps this week have been around 100 with the feels like temp around 105 or more.

Any ideas?
Good heavens NO. THe fans coming on says the bike is getting warm. IF it gets to hot the ECM will shut the engine down.

You might want to check the coolant for air however.

Remove the top of the air box. There is a rubber plug right side front. Remove it to expose a brass hex screw. This is the coolant system bleeder screw, remove it. If you see coolant you should be OK. If not fill it until it is full of coolant and no more air. Use a turkey baster of some similar specialty tool.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Mine come on at 200. I think this is good as getting cooled never hurts. My dad actually had to buy an over ride switch for his Honda so he can manually turn the fans on as the stock system doesn't turn them on sufficiently.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts