Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow 'rodders,

I recently had my 2012 dx in to the dealer to check for electrical issues. When I got the bike back it began exhibiting strange behavior with the cooling fan. The fan runs far more often than it used to and will even run while traveling above 50mph when the air passing thru should be enough. Any thoughts on what could be wrong or how to fix? I did unplug the maxi fuse for a good 20 minutes but no luck. :hmm::helpme:

Thanks!

Steve

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Did you check if you have tripped any errors? :) Is there coolant in your reserve bottle?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you check if you have tripped any errors? :) Is there coolant in your reserve bottle?
There is coolant but I haven't checked for errors. How do I do that?

I am hesitant to take the bike back to the dealer for fear of something else getting goofed up.

Steve

·
Registered
655 Posts
First thing I would do is check to see if the bike is in fact getting hot enough to warrant the fans to come on.Has the temp light come on?What was the electrical issues you speak of?A simple IR gun on the water pump will tell you.At 205 they need to run at 180 the do not.Find out and you will know if it is a hot issue or an electrical issue.Then go from there.If the fans are running on the highway and it is indeed warranted I would look at the triple sprocket bolt,the thermostat and the water pump in that order.

·
Registered
655 Posts
You need to see if the fans need to be on when they run without delay.It can have an ominous consequence to your motor if they run at highway speed as it could mean there are mechanical issues in play as they never should.You should also see the red key come on and stay on to indicate a stored code when riding unless that has changed on the 2012.Actual heating issues rarely throw codes from what i have seen.But of course check for them even if there is no indication.Hopefully the dealer didn't clear any.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help, guys. I think I'm going to take Dr Dave's advice and take my bike back to the dealer. What a pisser...

Steve

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Steve, Just a thought or some FYI, when the air temp is as hot as its been the road temp can be hotter, I have an infered thermometer and checked the blacktop at work yesterday just for fun. It was 120 degrees. The radiator is living in that hotter air than your feeling on your face. Air temp was 92 degrees. I think I remember something about temps over 104 degrees a human no longer cools off but can start heating up. I asume that if our bikes are to run at about 200 and the air going though the cooling system is only 80 or less cooler the efficency may not be as good as if the air temp was 80 degrees. You may not have a problem but Mother Nature may be playing some games.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve, Just a thought or some FYI, when the air temp is as hot as its been the road temp can be hotter, I have an infered thermometer and checked the blacktop at work yesterday just for fun. It was 120 degrees. The radiator is living in that hotter air than your feeling on your face. Air temp was 92 degrees. I think I remember something about temps over 104 degrees a human no longer cools off but can start heating up. I asume that if our bikes are to run at about 200 and the air going though the cooling system is only 80 or less cooler the efficency may not be as good as if the air temp was 80 degrees. You may not have a problem but Mother Nature may be playing some games.
Thanks, Chuck. This is a good theory and one I would accept but the fan was behaving the same way during a cooler morning ride as well. All this because I asked the dealer to check the electrical system for grounding issues (I have been losing taillights for no reason - on my 4th one in just over 6 mo). It would have been easier to just keep buying lightbulbs!! :banghead:

Steve

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Thanks, Chuck. This is a good theory and one I would accept but the fan was behaving the same way during a cooler morning ride as well. All this because I asked the dealer to check the electrical system for grounding issues (I have been losing taillights for no reason - on my 4th one in just over 6 mo). It would have been easier to just keep buying lightbulbs!! :banghead:

Steve
I was having the same issue, I went to a truck garage and got the heavy duty 1157 bulb. Its now been in there for about 14,000 miles. The crap at your local parts house like Auto zone and Advance are not the same quailty. HD is supposed to also carry Heavy Duty bulbs. The filiment and supports are stonger. Walmart is also crap. I think I paid about $6 for a single bulb. I also have the same bulb in my Shovel for over 40,000. My Dad workd for GM car hauling division and thats where I found out about them.

ANother thing to check is if its a snug fit in the socket. If it is loose it will kill the bulb.

Bulb grease is good but only a tiny amount.

Fan issue thats another deal, make sure the connectors are clean and the Temp one is pluged in snug.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts