Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
06 VRSCR
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand why is it necessary to loosen the triple clamp pinch bolts in order to check fall-away? Can anyone explain?

06 VRSCR

·
Kaboom
4,336 Posts
I am interested in this too........from what I understand, the "fall away" is the culprit of the infamous VRod "clunk." Right or wrong?

·
Go IRISH!
727 Posts
If you don't loosen the top triple tree clamps there will be a slight gap between the top triple tree and the adjusting nut - which in-turn would allow it to loosen again. You have to tighten the nut under the triple tree then the nut on top of the triple tree so it is a must to have the pinch bolts loose.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
You don't loosen the triple trees to check the fall away, but you will have to loosen to adjust the fall away.

·
Ron Cooper
1,809 Posts
Some one told me something about between the trees the pressure accumulated there would be like putting one hand on top of a beer can and one hand on the bottom and when you tighten the fall away nut it would be like applying pressure with your hands and squishing the can. Or something a long those lines.

·
06 VRSCR
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spaz said:
You don't loosen the triple trees to check the fall away, but you will have to loosen to adjust the fall away.
Spaz - that's what I thought, but the service manual has you loosen the clamps just to check fall-away.

nd2 - thanks also for your explanation, and for everyone else's replies too!

Now I'm ready to tackle the 1000mi service checkup and save a couple hundred bucks.

jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts