Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have this FXRT fairing sitting in my man cave that will soon enough find a home on a Street Rod. There is a fairing bracket that bolts into the fairing behind the headlight, and bolts on to the steering head of the FXR frame. It looks like it wraps around the side of the steering head and bolts on to the side of the neck or perhaps to the gusset behind the neck. I do not have an FXRT handy to see the original set up but BMW mounts their frame mounted fairings in a roughly similar way.
I would like to mount it to the steering head of the Street Rod in the same way but am unsure what I can get away with in terms of welding threaded mounts to the steering head area. How is the Road Rod fairing mounted up to a V-Rod? Do they have a way to mount that fairing to the steering head or is it supported only from underneath?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Cyclevisions kit ties in at two main places (depending on model). It ties into a bracket behind the steering head (for the ECM) and sandwiches the bracket that the air box cover connects to. Depending on model, it may also sandwich a gusset in the frame for extra support (3rd point). Unfortunately CV has hosed up their website so that the links to the pictures don't work anymore. I think their are some of the members that have pics of their installs.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used a memphis shades mounting kit for my fairing. Mounted to the forks and handlebars. But i raised my headlight and gauge risers also. Just an idea..
Thanks. This is a frame mounted fairing from the old FXRT. It's pretty large compared to yours.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was thinking same thing except my RT fairing is being used on my RT. Been trying to find another. I actually have the Road Rod kit from Cyclevisions on the V Rod now with the Road Glide fairing mounted and think with a little fabrication it could be made to work with RT fairing. If you fail to finda use for the Rt fairing you have I may be interested in it.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
I will take it if you don't use it, Phil. Just buy cyclevision brackets, and mod them a bit. It will work. I just missed a set from sharkey. I will keep looking. Joe

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will take it if you don't use it, Phil. Just buy cyclevision brackets, and mod them a bit. It will work. I just missed a set from sharkey. I will keep looking. Joe
Oh, I'll use it! I am looking at the Cycle Visions Road Rod fairing mount on their web site and am curious how the center bracket attaches to our bike. From their web site it is not obvious.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Goes around the neck, and then fastens to a bracket that connects to the outer airbox front mounting bracket, with the 2 holes. Once you have it, it will make more sense.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Goes around the neck, and then fastens to a bracket that connects to the outer airbox front mounting bracket, with the 2 holes. Once you have it, it will make more sense.
Does this require drilling holes in anything on the bike? Will an air box mounting bracket take the weight of a fairing? I imagine the triangular covers at the front of the frame have to go for this bracket? How is the clearance for the coolant bottle and battery?

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
No holes to drill. the lower bracket takes the weight, the upper just keeps it away from the forks. You still use the neck covers. Clears the bottle and battery, no problem. Buy a PTFE Plastic cutting board. Use it to flange the CV bracket so you can mate to the RT fairing. Not positive on the lower mounts and the RT. Joe

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No holes to drill. the lower bracket takes the weight, the upper just keeps it away from the forks. You still use the neck covers. Clears the bottle and battery, no problem. Buy a PTFE Plastic cutting board. Use it to flange the CV bracket so you can mate to the RT fairing. Not positive on the lower mounts and the RT. Joe
I can see this. What does the lower bracket mount to and do I have to trim any plastic pieces around the radiator or re-locate any electronics for clearance?
I was sizing the thing up to one of my R's and noticed the the opening in the bottom won't fit around the R's forks. This will be an interesting project.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Phil, It fits an R. No cutting, gutting or scaling. No relo of electronics. The lower mount bolts to the upper set of bolts that hold your lower frame rails on. It goes around (actually behind) the forks, no problem. Do a search on road rods. You will see the brackets. It will make sense. I can take pictures of anything you need. Joe

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Go in my gallery. Click on picture 5. Enlarge. see bracket. It is black, but you can see it. It will make more sense. Joe

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Go in my gallery. Click on picture 5. Enlarge. see bracket. It is black, but you can see it. It will make more sense. Joe
Ok, I see that. I assume the bracket fits into the bolt holes in the frame and comes with longer bolts.

No problems with it being strong enough to support that fairing? The fairing is tight and doesn't shake?

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In addition to the mountings you see, there is a bolt that pushes against the headstock to stabilize the bracketry.
This may be the excuse I need to take a sojourn to San Diego.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts