Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
VRSCX #293/1400
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know why FAIC changed the routing of the rear header pipe? See attached pix; they've rerouted the back header around the front like the Destroyer pipe but only half as nice to make room for their charge enhancers. It is probably to better match the two header's lengths but were they having issues in the field? I'm thinking of getting thier system for my X but like the older version better. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Anyone looking to sell theirs?

Attachments

·
Tribal Blades
110 Posts
Think it is to more closely match pipe length. The newer pipes are within about 2" of each other in length (I measured them myself). Older ones look good too. That's my bike, the black 07 AW.

·
VRSCX #293/1400
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice bike! I'm sure you're right but wonder if there were problems with the old style. Could you damage your engine if the pipe lengths aren't properly matched or is it a performance issue?

·
Tribal Blades
110 Posts
RazoRRBlade said:
Nice bike! I'm sure you're right but wonder if there were problems with the old style. Could you damage your engine if the pipe lengths aren't properly matched or is it a performance issue?
No the different lengths won't hurt the engine, it is a performance issue as the un-equal lengths cause each cylinder to have it's own HP and TQ peaks. Since the cylinders don't peak together, a loss of top end power is possible.

·
VRSCX #293/1400
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for the info. Now I just need to decide what I want to do. Did you have any issues tuming 'er with the FAICs? Did you use a PCIII?

·
Tribal Blades
110 Posts
RazoRRBlade said:
Thanx for the info. Now I just need to decide what I want to do. Did you have any issues tuming 'er with the FAICs? Did you use a PCIII?
I have a PCIIIusb and I had the pipe dyno tuned by Eastside Performance. They got me a 13% gain in HP over the factory pipes. This pipe needs an experienced tuner, but I'm guessing that any pipe that can give a 13% boost in performance would need that. I also get good mileage 38-39MPG even though Eastside left my bike running a little rich to protect the motor. I now have a WEGO II AFR logger and I am using the PCIIIusb to lean things down a bit. I understand why tuners always go to the rich side, because they don't want to have a customer burn up a motor and give them a bad rep.

·
VRSCX #293/1400
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx for the info and tips. I'm torn between the FAIC, the V&H Indy Pipe and a few others. All cost $$$$ so I don't want to regret it...

·
VRSCX #293/1400
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tapman,

Any chance I can get more pix of your system. I just can't stop looking at them. Nice setup. Look forward to hearing from you.

Later!

·
jacket off!
9,720 Posts
I just ordered my 2nd FAIC yesterday. Tapman hows your leg clearance with the new style? Sweet set BTW!

·
jacket off!
9,720 Posts
The reason I'm getting a second set is because I (or someone else) must've hit something and dented the sh*t out of the forward facing hole and cracked the front pipe about 60% of the circumference, 2" from the manifold.

I really had my eye on the Rinehart 2-1, but the sound and numbers (hp & tq) is what drove me back to the FAIC.

·
Ricky Love MooreHead
1,440 Posts
******* said:
The reason I'm getting a second set is because I (or someone else) must've hit something and dented the sh*t out of the forward facing hole and cracked the front pipe about 60% of the circumference, 2" from the manifold.

I really had my eye on the Rinehart 2-1, but the sound and numbers (hp & tq) is what drove me back to the FAIC.
Hey ****,, how do they sound compared to Rineharts, either 2/2 or 2/1,, 2/2 are loudest I've heard.. but don't want to lose HP.

·
jacket off!
9,720 Posts
QuickTripp said:
Hey ****,, how do they sound compared to Rineharts, either 2/2 or 2/1,, 2/2 are loudest I've heard.. but don't want to lose HP.

I've never heard the 2-2's but at the spring rally I did hear some rinehart 2-1 and there were a few comments made that my bike was louder. (jleaky was one of them) I do think the FAIC has a bit of a "lower" tone to it. It's not quite as raspy. It's tough to explain the note that comes out of the end of this thing, alls I know is that is does have a sound unique to it.

·
Rallycaust Survivor
11,141 Posts
I am still enjoying the sound of mine as well and have had no trouble with it. It was/is harder to tune and I did loose a bit of top end HP but that is fine with me. My gas mileage is between 33-35mpg. I like the pics at the top but like ******* I am curious about the leg clearance. :thumb:

·
jacket off!
9,720 Posts
Troy said:
I am still enjoying the sound of mine as well and have had no trouble with it. It was/is harder to tune and I did loose a bit of top end HP but that is fine with me. My gas mileage is between 33-35mpg. I like the pics at the top but like ******* I am curious about the leg clearance. :thumb:
I hope I'm screwed with that leg clearance. I knew there was a design change but didn't think about how it may affect the toasty skin on my calf. We'll see!

·
Rallycaust Survivor
11,141 Posts
Hard to tell with that pic but it does look a lot closer than the original route. I am sure it will be ok. I am looking forward to seeing and hearing it at the rally.

·
Tribal Blades
110 Posts
******* said:
I just ordered my 2nd FAIC yesterday. Tapman hows your leg clearance with the new style? Sweet set BTW!
I'm tall with a 36" inseam so I have no issues with leg clearance. My Right calf ends up being about 3" away from the forward part of the rear primary pipe. When stopped at a light, I do feel some heat rising up, but it's not enough to cook me and I usually put my right foot down at stops anyway.

·
Tribal Blades
110 Posts
RazoRRBlade said:
Tapman,

Any chance I can get more pix of your system. I just can't stop looking at them. Nice setup. Look forward to hearing from you.

Later!
My bike is all part at the moment, so I don't know if that is what you are looking for in pics. Should be together soon. Waiting of the UPS man to deliver more V-Rod parts.

·
jacket off!
9,720 Posts
tapman22 said:
I'm tall with a 36" inseam so I have no issues with leg clearance. My Right calf ends up being about 3" away from the forward part of the rear primary pipe. When stopped at a light, I do feel some heat rising up, but it's not enough to cook me and I usually put my right foot down at stops anyway.
Damn, you got me thinking now. I've been compared to that of pygmy stature, at a towering 5' 7" with 32" inseam. Awe the hell with it, I'll just wait till it comes in.

·
VRSCX #293/1400
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm 5'8" with 32" inseam too, ****. Which coating did you get: Black, chrome? I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts. What are your plans for tuning? My biggest worry is getting these suckers tuned properly. I don't know who can do it 'round these parts.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts