Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We or (someone:D ) should compile a short list of the common facts on the V-Rod and put them in one place so new people don't have to ask the same questions so often and the crabby older members won't just tell them to try the search button.

i.e. which years which was made, what each model designates, when changes were made to sprockets etc.

If the info was in the first post and could be edited and updated. Maybe there is more then comes to mind but, the basics for those looking to buy a V-Rod or those that have just bought a bike. Seems like it could be helpful to more than just a few? People could still ask questions but, have the one central place to start at?

I know there are folks on here that know these bikes forward and back since the begining.

·
Jay Johnston
1,732 Posts
Kind of like an FAQ section, now that's a good idea!

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
The problem is that no one will look at the fact sheet before asking the question, so now the grumpy old members will just get more grumpy when they tell them to look at the fact sheet. :D

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Vrod-Mike said:
The problem is that no one will look at the fact sheet before asking the question, so now the grumpy old members will just get more grumpy when they tell them to look at the fact sheet. :D
True, I hear that you can tell how Grumpy someone is by how long they keep the same avatar.:hidesbeh:

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
JSC said:
We or (someone:D ) should compile a short list of the common facts on the V-Rod and put them in one place so new people don't have to ask the same questions so often and the crabby older members won't just tell them to try the search button.
Sounds like a good idea, this could be placed into a new section for newbietards. This will keep the crabby older members from wasting their time rehashing old topics and allow them to discuss more important matters such as; Is the V-ROD a real Harley?, Is the V-ROD a Buell, Is the V-ROD a Vespa? and the ever popular, My paint job (or lack of it) is better than yours! :dance:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Fact: V-Rod, cause everythimg else just SUCKS! Not only is this a fact, but its written in ink on a Tshirt. Way to go Max.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
sammy said:
Sounds like a good idea, this could be placed into a new section for newbietards. This will keep the crabby older members from wasting their time rehashing old topics and allow them to discuss more important matters such as; Is the V-ROD a real Harley?, Is the V-ROD a Buell, Is the V-ROD a Vespa? and the ever popular, My paint job (or lack of it) is better than yours! :dance:
Don't forget all those meaningless replies to posts...

BTW good idea. How about you start.:D

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
luxlamf said:
True, I hear that you can tell how Grumpy someone is by how long they keep the same avatar.:hidesbeh:

Ouch!....... Although I happen to be a very cheerful person. As long as you're not asking my wife. She might have a different opinion then me. :D

·
Bad luck depository
545 Posts
sammy said:
You forgot, "Is the Vrod faster than a ......" :spank:

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
sammy said:
Is the V-ROD a Vespa?

How did you know... you just have to drop by Mackie HD just outside of Toronto to see the proof.

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
....and with a fact sheet it could possibly stay on topic-:)

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
JSC said:

i.e. which years which was made, what each model designates, when changes were made to sprockets etc.

If the info was in the first post and could be edited and updated. Maybe there is more then comes to mind but, the basics for those looking to buy a V-Rod or those that have just bought a bike. Seems like it could be helpful to more than just a few? People could still ask questions but, have the one central place to start at?

I know there are folks on here that know these bikes forward and back since the begining.
Sounds like a really great idea. When are you going to get started on it?

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok- 04 A's were the best ones produced, have the highest resale value and are the best to customize.... how'm I doing?

Really tho if we start from the beginning and keep adding the info maybe we could put it into an organized post.

They began production in 2002- the fenders, airbox cover, and radiators covers were all anodized silver. They had a 3.? gallon gas tank. A 180 x 18 rear tire. They made these til 2003?
In 2004 the color of the frames changed to a brighter silver and the bike was offered as an "A" model or a "B"
Pulley size changed to a 28 tooth. All wheels were still stock solid. More color combinations were now available.

What all am I missing? -Engine size 69ci 1130cc

I'm not sure about when all the changes took place and what bikes started to get the brembo's etc. etc.

If everyone keeps chiming in about their own bikes I'm sure we could compile this to make sense.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Vrod-Mike said:
lol. They won't press search now. I doubt anyone will press a fact button. That said, I think it wouldbe great to have something that highlights each model with unique attributes. Good luck with that.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Its a nice idea.

Its also a heck of a lot of work. And honestly, you would need someone with an unusual set of skills to do it. You would need someone who at least understands the various technical issues being discussed; combined with a certain amount of practical experience. You would also need to be able to write clearly and understandably. And lastly you would need someone with sufficient html experience and knowledge to put it into a format that would be readable and usable on a vBulletin system - there is no point writing a 2000 word discussion of (for instance) battery charging when the board won't support files that big.

To get some idea of the magnitude of the task - think about just one item that gets discussed: Exhaust systems. Does the FAQ include the (now discontinued) Screamin' Eagle systems? How about the various fuel maps for each model year? And then we get into the whole "drill it out yourself" school. How do you deal with that - without making basically editorial judgements. And no matter how diplomatically you handled these issues - I'm sure some people would be unhappy with what was written.

After doing all that work - I'd bet dollars to donuts you'd still have people asking the same questions.

Note: I did put together a rough outline of such a FAQ a couple of years ago for a book project. This was before the introduction of several new models, as well as the changes that came with that - ie. Brembo brakes, larger frame, gas tank, etc. I've attached it in MS Word format.

Attachments

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry Drew the computer I'm on right now doesn't have Word so I couldn't open your attachment.

I think maybe tho some might be making it more complicated then it would need be?

Things like when they changed axle size, frames, fenders, what options were available that year- that kind of thing.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
JSC said:
Ok- 04 A's were the best ones produced, have the highest resale value and are the best to customize.... how'm I doing?

Really tho if we start from the beginning and keep adding the info maybe we could put it into an organized post.

They began production in 2002- the fenders, airbox cover, and radiators covers were all anodized silver. They had a 3.? gallon gas tank. A 180 x 18 rear tire. They made these til 2003?
In 2004 the color of the frames changed to a brighter silver and the bike was offered as an "A" model or a "B"
Pulley size changed to a 28 tooth. All wheels were still stock solid. More color combinations were now available.

What all am I missing? -Engine size 69ci 1130cc

I'm not sure about when all the changes took place and what bikes started to get the brembo's etc. etc.

If everyone keeps chiming in about their own bikes I'm sure we could compile this to make sense.
In 2003 they did the Unthinkable and started Painting Bikes, HD Knew it was wrong thing to do knowing Anodized was like Original Coke and everything after would be like New Coke, You can tell they knew it was wrong because they painted them Silver with "That" black strip down the middle (That Black Strip always represented the Death of an Innovative bike and saw it as HD's way of showing respect for the dead as someone wears a black band on their sleeve after a death). The year the Vrod lost its independence and became a 2toned Follower instead of staying an Anodized leader.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
JSC said:
Sorry Drew the computer I'm on right now doesn't have Word so I couldn't open your attachment.
Sorry - need to remember that not everyone has Word on their computer. I've converted the file to a .pdf so you can take a look at it. This file runs to five pages - and that's just the outline I came up with two years ago. A current one would probably add two or three more pages to cover things like the Destroyer drag bike, the new braking systems, wider frame, ABS, etc.

A couple more comments on the concept of a V-Rod FAQ:

You have to remember, its no good just typing a list of V-Rod facts out randomly or as the occur to you. They have to be organized in order for them to be searchable and useful.

The creation of such a FAQ; properly written and organized; fact-checked for accuracy; with well-maintained links; illustrations; etc. would represent a tremendous amount of work. Even using a lot of previously-written material - I'd estimate it would take month or so of work. Unfortunately, once that work was posted online - there would be little we could do to prevent "scraper" search bots from copying that work, and posting it on their own sites next to banner ads, etc. Given the amount of copyright violation that goes on this would be pretty much inevitable. Its one thing to volunteer time and skill to help out a community you believe in - its another thing entirely to be blatantly ripped off.

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Why not just add a newbie area where the less experienced could have their questions answered by newer members or those that don't mind rehashing old subject matter? I use the search function often but it can be time-consuming sorting through all the unrelated topics that don't get filtered out.

Mike

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
HighTechHarley said:
Why not just add a newbie area where the less experienced could have their questions answered by newer members or those that don't mind rehashing old subject matter? I use the search function often but it can be time-consuming sorting through all the unrelated topics that don't get filtered out.

Mike
Well it Is a Motorcycle Forum so how much New Stuff (Especially with this bike) can possibly be discussed? Personally I dont mind the tire, oil, exhaust questions that come up from new owners etc.. I was one of them once and found this place to very helpful. We all know that the Dealerships are mostly assholes that don't know very much, so if someone wwnts to know the difference in models, oil, etc.. let them ask.Its better than "I hate m109's, or Can my bike beat a ......, or Its not a real Harley" threads that are always being rehashed and beat to death and really don't say anything. Most Forums are run by Snobs that will insult you and make you fel like an idiot if you ask a simple question, thats why this is pretty much the only one I am on unless I need certain answers I cannot find elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts