Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Jon45
Discussion Starter #1
So I was out for my usual Sunday ride and about 45mins into it, noticed the Key icon in Red highlighted? at first thought of battery fob is RS, then further down the road all gauges dropped off and came back on. Then it started getting micro engine shutdowns with a few backfires and went on, no probs for a while. So these little issues became more frequent so I'm heading home and 10min from home, and she backfires and just dies, Kilometer digits just flicker then fade out and battery is dead,No Go and ring for pickup 2hrs later Tow truck takes me home and I'm done.
Q..Is this just the battery shit itself, about 2yrs old, or is it something else electrical?, anybody else had a similar situation?
Any assistance would be appreciated,馃憤
DONT EVEN WANT TO THINK ABOUT GETTING A 'STEALER' INVOLVED!馃槤馃槀

VRSC est -03
Measure voltage battery, charge it, measure one more time, shouldn`t drop below 12v.
Check battery connections, may be loose? Check ground connections, top engine and bottom part/oil pan engine.

Registered
Also, battery voltage shouldn鈥檛 drop excessively while loaded (cranking engine). Anything below 9.6v and the ECU won鈥檛 work.... if she starts should charge around 13.5

Jon45
Discussion Starter #6
So I was out for my usual Sunday ride and about 45mins into it, noticed the Key icon in Red highlighted? at first thought of battery fob is RS, then further down the road all gauges dropped off and came back on. Then it started getting micro engine shutdowns with a few backfires and went on, no probs for a while. So these little issues became more frequent so I'm heading home and 10min from home, and she backfires and just dies, Kilometer digits just flicker then fade out and battery is dead,No Go and ring for pickup 2hrs later Tow truck takes me home and I'm done.
Q..Is this just the battery shit itself, about 2yrs old, or is it something else electrical?, anybody else had a similar situation?
Thanx for the input guy's,I will try all suggested..I put battery on charge and it was drained,so i will test under load ,but Im thinking the battery's RS?

Registered
My 014 muscle did similar things a couple years ago. Turned out to be a faulty voltage regulator.
Replaced it has been good ever since.
Best of luck I know stuff like that can be scary from experience.
I was even gun shy because of it for a while.
Not any more though, also if you get a HOG membership free towing comes with it. That's how I got over the gun shyness.

Registered
Happened to me about 6 months ago. Had to be towed into the dealership. Was told that it was an electrical system failure due to overheating. The clutch was also flushed.

Registered
Heck battery cables they could be loose or dirty.

QuickRick
Heck battery cables they could be loose or dirty.
I had this on my Muscle where it stalled, gauges did goofy things, and the turn signals were not working correctly.
In my case it was the crank position sensor as documented in this site.
QuickRick

Work in Progress.
My 014 muscle did similar things a couple years ago. Turned out to be a faulty voltage regulator.
Replaced it has been good ever since.
Best of luck I know stuff like that can be scary from experience.
I was even gun shy because of it for a while.
Not any more though, also if you get a HOG membership free towing comes with it. That's how I got over the gun shyness.
Mine was playing up a bit the same, coughing, spluttering and gauges mucking up, I had been through a few lithium batteries and thought that I had a charging problem as one of the batterries had buldged and the supplier claimed that it was being overcharged. I took it in to be checked, Harley told me it was the battery and everything else was fine with the bike. I was not happy with their diagnosis and took the air box off and connected a multi meter to it and went for a ride. Suspicions confirmed when it just stopped charging for a short time and the voltage was dropping. Went straight to the stealership and asked for a new voltage regulator, non in stock and non due for four weeks (sucks being here for parts, cost and supply wise). When I finally got the new regulator, all was well and has been ever since. Lithium batteries will also bulge if they are drained down and then charged back up as my bike was doing. Mine for some reason also reset itself to 0 an the kilometres started again, very confusing and the stealership told me that it was impossible for the ECU to do it and that I was mistaken. My bike and I don't know what is going on with it according to them.

Registered
Yeah I mounted a led volt meter. I was riding home one night and my leds went from green to red and the battery light did not come on. It did it again. So I replaced voltage regulator and led meter was showing in the green again. So I feel led meter saved me.

Registered
Yeah I mounted a led volt meter. I was riding home one night and my leds went from green to red and the battery light did not come on. It did it again. So I replaced voltage regulator and led meter was showing in the green again. So I feel led meter saved me.
Yup, I run voltage as one of my PV screen signals so I know what the charging system is doing.
Ron

QuickRick
Yes,
I failed to say that you always do the simple stuff first ( check for loosened cables and battery state etc.) then proceed.

Glad you have it under control.

Qui

Registered
I Had a simular problem. It was the turn signal / security sensor on the rear fender under passenger seat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts