Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The MoCo or whatever you guys call it, are sinking to a new levels of being assholes. The word has just hit the Harley community over here that the dealers in the US can now no longer sell us foreigners genuine parts via the internet and ship them over, bowing to threats of losing their dealership if they do. It seems that our own 'stealerships' have complained that they are not making enough money because we're sick of being ripped of by their hugely overinflated prices, instead, sourcing the US. Finally, after 20 or so years, our dollar is at parity with yours, so parts and accessories including shipping, are now at a third to half the price we pay here (in Australia). An informed member on the Aussie forum says it's happening in England as well. Since we have a "free trade agreement" with the US, it certainly sounds illegal.
I paid $31,000 for my 2010 NRS, and I'll be damned if I'll give them another cent!

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Sounds like it's the "stealers" in your country that caused this... I'm no fan of the MOCO believe me but this sounds like they are "protecting" your local stealers so they can stay in business... You guys pay thru the nose for HD's, more than I would pay that's for sure... The brand loyality you downunder folks show for this motorcycle is unreal... Do you know about Biker Bandit? They can get OEM parts for you...

http://www.bikebandit.com/?WT.mc_id=77792&WT.mc_r=2&WT.srch=1

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The talk amongst the HD riders here is (apart from the guys that need warranty work) is either buy aftermarket (my top choice) or use a mob that supplies a US mailing address and shipping service. I won't name them in case those thieves are watching. Here's an example of our dealers protecting themselves. I got a quote on a support base plate, sissybar, pad and packrack for my DX...$1090 Aust. Bought from Sun HD in Colorado, landed at my door for $370. I ended up buying another $500 worth of stuff off them. From the anger I am seeing, I really think HD have shot themselves in the foot... but then again, aren't they good at that!

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Wow, one hellava mark up, your stealers are making some serious cash for parts because I know dealers here in the States have a 60% markup so even with having to get parts from the MOCO, that's one heck of a markup, I can see why your pissed...

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I don't know where you guys get your figures,but Harley dealers work on a 100% mark up on clothing and PA.In layman terms,this means if they pay $100,they sell for $200,simple math.Most all retailers in the U.S. deal on a minimum 69% mark up to meet expectations.I round mine up to 70% so I can figure my profit in my head.
If you are old enough,this was taught beginning in 5th grade school.Nowadays,a person has to buy this information through a college course.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
I don't know where you guys get your figures,but Harley dealers work on a 100% mark up on clothing and PA.In layman terms,this means if they pay $100,they sell for $200,simple math.Most all retailers in the U.S. deal on a minimum 69% mark up to meet expectations.I round mine up to 70% so I can figure my profit in my head.
If you are old enough,this was taught beginning in 5th grade school.Nowadays,a person has to buy this information through a college course.
They may sell at 100% markup but the dealer markup from the MOCO is 60%, atleast that's what it was in 98 so maybe it is 100%, that wouldn't surprise me in the least... I got my figures from the Authorized Dealer Confindential Price List... In the late 90's when I had my shop I had a deal with a HD dealer for selling OEM parts... They gave me a 25% discount on all parts and accessories... In order for me to know what the MSRP was for these parts and accessories, they sent me the MOCO dealers confidential price list... The MSRP is suggested, dealers can sell them for whatever they want... It's called greed...

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Why wuld a company choose to sell 9% less than the mark up should be? Unless that particular dealer was moving enough clothes and PA to make the difference up,all retail companys need a minimum of 69% to keep the doors open.This includes Ekerd drugs,Target,McDonald and so on.in small operations like I run,if a product costs 100 dollars or less,the suggested mark up for overhead and profit should be 225,or as close to what the market will bear.Meaning if I pay $100 for a torque converter,I need to mark it up to $225 in order to meet my expenses.Anything less,I need volume to make the difference.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
There are lot of generality's in that statement Elrod. Margins are for the most part what ever you can get. Any company that isn't willing to follow the downward economic trend by offering discounts, warranty's or other freebies is likely to end up closing it's doors.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Well I know that when things get shitty prices have to come down. When the bottom fell out of natural gas drilling in 2009 we cut prices from $11,000 a day down to as low as $7500. We're back up to $10,000 now. It sucks and hurts but if a competitor cuts their price then you really have no choice. Cut prices, lose money and hunker down or close down.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The MoCo or whatever you guys call it, are sinking to a new levels of being assholes. The word has just hit the Harley community over here that the dealers in the US can now no longer sell us foreigners genuine parts via the internet and ship them over, bowing to threats of losing their dealership if they do. It seems that our own 'stealerships' have complained that they are not making enough money because we're sick of being ripped of by their hugely overinflated prices, instead, sourcing the US. Finally, after 20 or so years, our dollar is at parity with yours, so parts and accessories including shipping, are now at a third to half the price we pay here (in Australia). An informed member on the Aussie forum says it's happening in England as well. Since we have a "free trade agreement" with the US, it certainly sounds illegal.
I paid $31,000 for my 2010 NRS, and I'll be damned if I'll give them another cent!

Dude,
Sell your Harley and buy an Aussie brand, what's the problem. If you don't like the price, don't buy, but I sure wouldn't blame Harley. There are PLENTY of brands to chose from, buy one and ride.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Dude,
Sell your Harley and buy an Aussie brand, what's the problem. If you don't like the price, don't buy, but I sure wouldn't blame Harley. There are PLENTY of brands to chose from, buy one and ride.
Arg!!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
The MOCO has their panties twisted because a lot of "genuine" merchandise is showing up on ebay on what they consider to be 3rd party websites. Basically the dealers are unloading their older, obsolete P&A (and maybe some newer stuff too) thats been sitting on the shelves for years. They will find a way around this.

·
Registered
399 Posts

Don't worry mate, the USD is going down the shitter as soon as we print a few more trillion. Oops.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,531 Posts
The MOCO has their panties twisted because a lot of "genuine" merchandise is showing up on ebay on what they consider to be 3rd party websites. Basically the dealers are unloading their older, obsolete P&A (and maybe some newer stuff too) thats been sitting on the shelves for years. They will find a way around this.
Yeah the MoCo saddles them with stock so much inventory, largely stuff they'll never sell anyway. Then they get upset when the dealers find a way to sell the stuff.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Rob, dont you think partially its because of your local import tax? I am from Indonesia and in import business, so i know a thing or two about tariff. A new DX in Indonesia cost about USD 42,000 OTD. 40% are the "luxury goods import tariff". Minus shipping cost, document fees and bribery left and right, that leave the dealer about 18-20K. so if they buy from moco for 10-12K each, their net profit average is 8K. compare to the selling price, that is 20% margin, which is fairly standard in retail business. Nobody wants to do business if it is less than that percentage.

·
kelrushNZ
122 Posts
Dude,
Same thing happens over here i got quoted $1999nz dollar for chrome brake clutch levers the whole deal from the local harley moco got same parts sent to me from US for less than 1000 nz dollar
and DUDE who else do you blame, don't blame harley Shite

·
brett
9,338 Posts
stupid assesin govenment ,whats to stop us from getting mates in the states to buy it for us and sending it on ,at least u will get it packed correctly and npot get raped on postage ,NOTHING ,unless they bring in a law that says u must not have any american freinds ,lol

and ultra ,im an aussie ,and i gotta say ,i cant think of an aussie bike we make here ,i dont think we have any at all ,,

·
Registered
245 Posts
and ultra ,im an aussie ,and i gotta say ,i cant think of an aussie bike we make here ,i dont think we have any at all ,,[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was my point. If you wanna play, you gotta pay.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
and ultra ,im an aussie ,and i gotta say ,i cant think of an aussie bike we make here ,i dont think we have any at all ,,
Yeah, that was my point. If you wanna play, you gotta pay.[/QUOTE]

Yeah right, like you wouldn't bitch if you had to pay twice as much for your parts, accessories and bikes. It's statements like yours that companies use to justify their price gouging. I read here quite often of US riders complaining of prices, well pal, try walking a mile in our shoes.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts