Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just signed up for EZ Pass. Any ideas on where I could put the electonic thingamajigee? Can I keep it in my pocket?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
If it is anything like the TXDOT toll tags we use you don't even have to have it with you. If you trigger the toll it takes a picture of your tag and matches it up and bills the account. If they are like texas toll booths they have never registered my v-rod correctly. The only time I get billed is if I take an entrance or exit at a small booth. The major toll plazas never pick the bike up or bill me. It's like the bike has stealth built into it. But to answer your question about location, your pocket or anyplace that no metal is between it and the toll booth should work.

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
I'd throw it away. On "Law and Order" they catch more criminals because of those damn things.

Not that you're a criminal :D

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
Max said:
If it is anything like the TXDOT toll tags we use you don't even have to have it with you. If you trigger the toll it takes a picture of your tag and matches it up and bills the account. If they are like texas toll booths they have never registered my v-rod correctly. The only time I get billed is if I take an entrance or exit at a small booth. The major toll plazas never pick the bike up or bill me. It's like the bike has stealth built into it. But to answer your question about location, your pocket or anyplace that no metal is between it and the toll booth should work.
Damn, forgot about the cameras :banghead:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vrod-Mike said:
it won't work through a jacket pocket. I tried it in both my leather and denim vests an it wouldn't trigger through either pocket. I bought a nice handlebar mount here:

http://www.qualityclamp.com/products.html

They are in Clifton if you want to take a ride there.

Thanks. This looks perfect except for the price. I'm going to try to duplicate this and make one myself.

·
Aces & Eights
154 Posts
robbwest said:
I'd throw it away. On "Law and Order" they catch more criminals because of those damn things.

Not that you're a criminal :D
:them:

Don't know if it's urban legend but I've heard that EZ-passes can be used to issue speeding tickets. Your entry time is logged, the distance to your exit is known, and your time out (exit used) is logged. The time it takes to travel that same distance moving at the posted speed limit is pre-calculated and if your exit time is less than the legal time you get a nice little speeding ticket (based on your average speed I would imagine) arrives in the mail. I've had some great lawyers get me out of a lot of speeding tickets but I would imagine that it's tough argument to convince a judge that the laws of physics cease to exist in the city in which you live.

Has this happened to anyone here?

Regards,
-Ted

2007 VRSCDX Denim

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quite honestly, this has been an argument for years. The thought that big brother is watching you and knows where you are. Actually in the news they caught cheating husbands using EZ pass records. On a motorcycle, I'm more concerned about stopping for a toll which is usually an oil slick from all the cars that go through. I don't trust those behind me either. This ranks up there with "there is a cure for cancer but the pharmaceutical companies paid someone off to keep it quiet".... Just my opinion here.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Max said:
In New York if your EZPASS doesnt register they snap a photo, match it up with your plate. Then they charge you for the toll and give you a $20 ticket. I have the small windshield on mine and use a suction cup mount so I am not left with those velcro strips when it is not in use. A friend of mine without a windshield rigged up a ram mount on his handle bars.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
EZE RIDER said:
In New York if your EZPASS doesnt register they snap a photo, match it up with your plate. Then they charge you for the toll and give you a $20 ticket. I have the small windshield on mine and use a suction cup mount so I am not left with those velcro strips when it is not in use. A friend of mine without a windshield rigged up a ram mount on his handle bars.

If you have your plate registered with EZPASS then you won't get a ticket just the toll charge. The battery went dead in my pass last year and i went 2 months before I got a new one with no problems and I use over $100 a month in tolls.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vrod-Mike said:
If you have your plate registered with EZPASS then you won't get a ticket just the toll charge. The battery went dead in my pass last year and i went 2 months before I got a new one with no problems and I use over $100 a month in tolls.
Really? I was not aware of this. If this is true then I won't bother with it. I did indeed register the plate.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I never carry my texas toll tag with me either. The only time I get billed is when they match the plate and never gotten a ticket.

·
Fade to Black
2,526 Posts
Do they send you a bill if you live out of town? I went to Chicago a few times and used the EZ pass and have never got anything but dont want to get pulled over sometime there and get arrested for a outstanding bill.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I spoke to my riding buddy who got the $20 ticket. It turns out it was his car EZPASS so his plate was not registered. So I guess you can go thru without your pass.

·
Peaked At Birth
5,198 Posts
Vrod-Mike said:
:them: Same thing here in Cal with FasTrak.

·
Rallycaust Survivor
11,141 Posts
Max said:
I never carry my texas toll tag with me either. The only time I get billed is when they match the plate and never gotten a ticket.
Yep Max told me about this some time ago and every since the turnpike has been a much more enjoyable experience. Fishing out change or even keeping up with the toll tag is a real PITA IMO.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Tedhase said:
:them:

Don't know if it's urban legend but I've heard that EZ-passes can be used to issue speeding tickets. Your entry time is logged, the distance to your exit is known, and your time out (exit used) is logged. The time it takes to travel that same distance moving at the posted speed limit is pre-calculated and if your exit time is less than the legal time you get a nice little speeding ticket (based on your average speed I would imagine) arrives in the mail. I've had some great lawyers get me out of a lot of speeding tickets but I would imagine that it's tough argument to convince a judge that the laws of physics cease to exist in the city in which you live.

Has this happened to anyone here?

Regards,
-Ted

2007 VRSCDX Denim
That urban legend is :bs:

·
Sinner
105 Posts
sudolg said:
Just signed up for EZ Pass. Any ideas on where I could put the electonic thingamajigee? Can I keep it in my pocket?
In Maryland, which uses the EZpass system, you can buy a handlebar mount for $8.00. But I just stick the transponder in my jacket pocket and wip it out as I blow through. I have thought about getting one as a cheap mount for my Garmin GPS though. Anyway, just swing into your toll center and pick one up--in Maryland, the main facility is located at the Harbor Tunnel.

Tex :guns

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Reading this thread makes me even more happy to live in the great Northwest, the world of open roads! (so far)...:D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts