Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been getting around 90 miles per fill up out of the first 3/4 of the tank, before the low fuel indicator comes on. In the past I think it came on around 80 miles.

What am I doing different? Before I would always stop filling it up when I thought it was full and wouldn't hold any more fuel. Not any more, I don't stop now until I know it's full. If there is a puddle under it from fuel exiting the overflow tube, that's the definition of a successful fuel up in my mind. If I have to stand it up in order to get the fuel cap on, well that deserves an extra pat on the back (even though all this really means is a larger puddle).

My riding group likes to go around 120 miles before pulling over. Always made me a little nervous in the past. Once my needle hits "E" I'll take it about another 10 miles, I don't like to push it beyond that.

Most of my trips are long trips at 70-80 mph, so this may also be contributing to the extended range.

:biker:

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
maybe it's partly because it's finally warming up a little, dereck. On those cold-weather rides we were doing at the end of Feb, I was only getting about 70-80 miles on a tank. It was up to 70F the other day, and I was back to my normal gas mileage.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
dereck said:
My riding group likes to go around 120 miles before pulling over. Always made me a little nervous in the past. Once my needle hits "E" I'll take it about another 10 miles, I don't like to push it beyond that.
Speaking as someone who has been foolish enough to actually run my V-Rod right out of fuel, I'd say you can push the range on the V-Rod - but only with some caveats.

First - I have my doubts about exactly how accurate the fuel guage is. Most of the time, with the needle stuck on empty you'll struggle to get much more than 3.2 gallons in - indicating that there should be almost half a gallon still in there. Possibly by standing the bike up, etc. you might get some more in - but we're talking a few ounces of gas here.

Secondly - a lot seems to depend on how the bike has been ridden. If you are on a group ride, and the bike has been warmed up - I'd say you could safely push the range to 120 miles+. But if most of the tank has been burned up in short (<10 mile) hops, then the fuel economy has (pardon the pun) gone in the tank - especially in cooler weather. Likewise if you have been generous with the throttle.

Lastly, on longer rides at higher speeds gas mileage can suddenly get very much worse. It seems to be pretty good at around 70 mph - but increase the speed to 80 - 85 and it starts dropping off pretty fast. The upright riding position etc. is not at all aerodynamic, and as we know drag increases with the square of speed - i.e. you'll use almost 40% more energy at 85 mph than you would at 70.

·
Todd
482 Posts
Don't know about ya'll but I was fed up with the gas gauge and only putting in 3 gallons so once and only once on my trip to Milwaukee I decided to go for it. I got 140 miles on a full tank of gas and filled about 3.6+. Won't try it again.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
whew, Todd, that's scary. The one time I tried running it out, I went 128 miles before I ran out and then it only took 3.2 gals. But that was with my v-mods and the 089-020 richer map than I have now.

·
Todd
482 Posts
Yes, It was last August for the 100yr ann. I had no mods at all just a brand new ann. bike with a bunch of chrome and a long flat highway.

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
The short range of the VROD is a problem. I'll be covering 520 miles of Nevada high desert between Reno and Las Vegas this Sept. and wonder if I'll have trouble with low fuel issues. Running the tank dry can damage the impeller blades of most electric fuel pumps as the fuel serves as a lubricant. How about filling 1.4 liters of a "Camelbak" with fuel instead of water!

Attachments

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
danafwelch said:
How about filling 1.4 liters of a "Camelbak" with fuel instead of water!
I guess I would rather risk running out of gas than turning myself into a human torch.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yes I'd be concerned the fuel would eat through the bladder in the camelback and get on you or worse run down onto your hot engine/exhaust and then bingo, instant roman candle :eek:

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
vroddrew said:
I guess I would rather risk running out of gas than turning myself into a human torch.
I hear you on that one!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I get in between 22 and 30 miles to a gallon depending on my wrist action.I don't trust my fuel gauge since the recall,it's never the same twice.I go by milage,and fill-up at around eighty miles,usually holds 3 gallons.The fuel milage has increased since the V-Mods and PC111.It was absolutly terrible when it was new and stock,and of course Harley told me that I was the only one with a milage problem.They told me that my average should be 56 MPG. HA! :rofl:

Elrod on the V-Rod :biker:

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Even at 47MPGs. HA! :rofl:
I modified my original stock exhaust at about 600 miles.I drilled holes around the out let.When I started the engine it blew solid black soot out for a while.It still ran rich with the factory settings.Has any one remapped their engine with SE filter and stock exhaust with PC111? Is there some paranoia of lean burning the pistons,even in stock form? :hidesbeh:

Elrod on the V-rod :biker:

·
Registered
150 Posts
5 gal dune buggy fuel cell bolted to luggage rack? Could possibly run a T to a fuel line. Gravity fed resupply line. Works on cars and buggys, think it'll work on the rod? dunno haven't tried it yet.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
More city than highway riding, as oahus roads are clogged. Filled up at 123 miles and still had a tad of fuel to go. maybe another 15 to 20 miles or so.
It took 5.86 worth at 2.04 a gallon. Been running regualr with no problems either.

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
I like it! To add longer range capability, the P 51 Mustang fighters were fitted with an extra 70 gallon fuel tank on the fuselage. When a pilot was entering into a dog fight, he would jettison the tank allowing for extra manuverability. To prevent an unintentional jettison of the tank, the pilot had to push both of the "PT" buttons on either side of the control panel at the very same time (not easy to do since you have to take your hands away from the other controls like the throttle, trim tab, stick, etc...while all juiced up on adrenalin). The nickname "PT" switch came from "push tits" which helped the pilots remember to push in both switches at the same time. Source: Mustang Ace, by Robert Goebel. Perhaps the "PT" switch on our VRODs could be worked into the turn signal emergency flasher when entering into a combat zone such as a 3 lane highway during rush hour?

·
Registered
283 Posts
:confused: Got the rod set up with S.T's, filter with top, and REV TECH DFO set to their baseline. Got to do a decent ride yesterday even though it was still could, about 56. Thought the bike was running rich but did 90 miles on 3/4 of a tank. I was running a lttle easy was out with the FAT BOY gang, but still did some little rips. Think the mid might be fat in the mid. Gonna check the plugs after Easter lunch. The only thing is i'd like to check my plugs in low, mid, and top, but you gotta pull the airbox to get to the plugs. :hitfan: On our sleds we do a good run hit the kill switch and check the plugs. I had to idle down the street to my house cuz streets are still covered with sand. So i think i won't get an accurate reading? :chair: :chair:

·
Registered
974 Posts
The only time you should fill it up to the "tip-top" is when you are getting on it and riding at least 20 miles(basiclly to use the extra gas). This is my experience from last summer...........
It was a nice warm 85 degree day and I stopped for fuel. Then ran into a Farm Supply store to get some medicine for an animal....When I came out there was a puddle under the bike(yet I had not spilled a drop at the station two miles away).It had to just be the heat,venting fumes, percolation-I do not know but I learned a lesson)
That taught me when TO and when Not To lean the scoot up and top it off.
Just my two cents. :cheers:
BobT

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
For 5 years I rode a Sportster before I converted to the VRSC (Man, I am a HAPPY convert too!). I notice that on my usual routes, I can go just about 20 miles further for a fillup. To me, the fuel capacity is just right. I need a smoke or a piss break by the time I run low on fuel anyways so it is all good to me. Also, I think I am the only one that feels the stock seat is a very comfortable seat! LOL Still might get the Sundowner for the ol' lady, but the front is perfect for me as is the fuel capacity.

I see the fuel capacity issue as that being the "sport" design side of the "Sport/cruiser" the VRSC is. They cannot all hold the amount of gas the Road Kings and FatBoys can I guess.

On another note, I have a 40 mile drive to work. I can goto work and back and then to work again before getting gas at the neighboring station to my GM plant I work in. This is all Interstate (I-75 to be exact) and cruising around 75-85, which in Michigan is "keeping up with traffic". Even our senior citizens have heavy footsin this state! LOL

As a new V-Rodder, I find this bike to be on par with what I want/need from my bike in all aspects including fuel capacity. I once stretchedmy Sporty 1200 to 140 miles before a fill up while touring north at 75 mph on interstates so I "imagine" similar results could be attained with the VRSC with a conservative throttle hand. Right now, hopping around town with a little liberal throttle twisting, I am around 110 miles between fillups. Keep in mind that I only get on it once in a while as I am only at 430 miles so far. My Sporty sucked gas if I rode it hard too, but if I was conservative with it, it'd get me much farther per tank.

Later,
Gary

1 - 20 of 20 Posts