Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Phil Z.
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so I didn't really pay much attention to the speal they gave me when I bought my bike and the extended tire warrenty, but I thought it was good for when the tire wears out. I asked the service manager at bob schultz how much wear the tires have to have before I could get them replaced. he said that the extended tire warrenty was only good for damaged tires, not worn tires. anyone out there had any experience with this? is it true that the tire has to be damaged for the extended tire warrenty?

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
zman said:
okay so I didn't really pay much attention to the speal they gave me when I bought my bike and the extended tire warrenty, but I thought it was good for when the tire wears out. I asked the service manager at bob schultz how much wear the tires have to have before I could get them replaced. he said that the extended tire warrenty was only good for damaged tires, not worn tires. anyone out there had any experience with this? is it true that the tire has to be damaged for the extended tire warrenty?
I think a few have it here and the biggest draw back is you Have to get the crappy Dunlops everytime.

·
Phil Z.
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I had read where someone had payed the difference to upgrade to metz's?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Tread depth can be no less than 3/32. And yes I'm almost sure the tire has to be damaged and not just worn. I would suggest you "accidentally" run over a screw if you have 3/32 or more tread left.:hidesbeh:

·
Phil Z.
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol thats what he said.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
zman said:
I thought I had read where someone had payed the difference to upgrade to metz's?
i had a blow out of my metz 200 and took in into the dealer to get replaced (i bought the wheel/tire warranty). The warranty paid for the cost of a dunlop and the labor to put it on. I paid the difference in price from the dunlop to the metz, about $60.

so....just put a nail in your tire and go get a new one! :D

·
Registered
494 Posts
tnvrod said:
Tread depth can be no less than 3/32. And yes I'm almost sure the tire has to be damaged and not just worn. I would suggest you "accidentally" run over a screw if you have 3/32 or more tread left.:hidesbeh:
I have the plan and have had two rear tires replaced under warrantee for screws (believe it or not, legitimate claims). My dealer will pay the cost of replacing the Dunlops w/Dunlops and accept the difference from me for the Metz upgrade (180 or 200).

·
Phil Z.
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess thats what I'll do, I just thought it would make better sense to honor a worn tire also.

·
Registered
156 Posts
zman said:
The warrenty covers Road hazzards on the bike and will replace the tires and rims if nessisary. they will only replace them with the stock stuff. I have used and paid for the insurance on my bike I had a blowout on my rear wheel at 2500 miles and it wrecked the rim too (was goin about 70mph when it happend) they fixed it all free of charge and it more than payed for the insurance. if the tire is worn out to the point of needing replacement and you get a nail they will not replace it. you have to have a certain amount of usable tread on the tire for the insurance to cover it. now I think it was worth it, but that maybe only because I used the insurance.

As a side note: I ran into a guy who was dishonest with the insurance and when ever his tires where getting close to being worn out he would take a screwdriver and screw it into the tire. and he never payed for replacement tires. I dont recomend that behavior, but theres always someone out there trying to get over on someone.

·
Registered
156 Posts
zman said:
I guess thats what I'll do, I just thought it would make better sense to honor a worn tire also.
why would a worn tire be under a warrenty? you used the tire to its full service life. most of those type of insurances are pure profit for companys and if they replaced everyones tires they wouldnt make anymoney they would lose money.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
The tire warranty will cover any brand damaged tire as long as it has at least 3/32nds left for tread and does not nessessarly have to be taken to a Harley dealer.
There is a ceiling on how much the policy will pay per visit on damaged tires with no deductable and only a disposal fee.If the policy is abused,like every 8k miles you need a set,the warranty company can refuse the coverage.
Most dealers only stock Dunlops and when they order Metz or other brands they usually charge list price,this is where the added charge comes into effect.
I had mine changed under the warranty because they were cupping real bad,they were hazardous.I paid the difference for the wider rear metz and some shipping.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Phil Z.
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so if I buy a set of metz's as replacements then the warrenty will cover them and replace them with the same type if something happens to them. well then thats not a bad deal. its more of a peace of mind thing in case of something out of the norm happening.

·
Registered
258 Posts
zman said:
so if I buy a set of metz's as replacements then the warrenty will cover them and replace them with the same type if something happens to them.
NO. They will replace them each time with stock Dunlops and you will have to pay the upgrade difference each time if you still want Metz's.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Experience with rear tire warranty - positve.

The only problem was the dealer did not fax the Warranty purchase to the third party warranty dealer so they may have to eat this tire. My tire and bike warranty MAY start as of today instead of two years ago, Don't know yet.

The tires were over 6K miles, they checked the tread depth and replaced it for free.

Dunlops are fine with me. I've never had any issue with them.

I bought the warranty in a heartbeat. On my '02 Deuce, I replaced a tire because of a nail. Didn't know the tires were not repairable.

The service guy told me he did the same thing then got another nail within 2000 miles and had to buy another tire. No tire warranty option back in '02.

·
Hang up and Drive!
83 Posts
Soooo along with the whole tires thing. I was riding today and got back home and saw that I had a screw in the tire (Dammit!). So I just bought the bike two weeks ago and am wondering is that covered under the extended warranty too?

I'm just glad that I noticed it today but, I'm pissed since I was going to go on the local poker run tomorrow.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Terrible T said:
Soooo along with the whole tires thing. I was riding today and got back home and saw that I had a screw in the tire (Dammit!). So I just bought the bike two weeks ago and am wondering is that covered under the extended warranty too?

I'm just glad that I noticed it today but, I'm pissed since I was going to go on the local poker run tomorrow.

Did you opt to purchase the tire hazzard warranty? Some dealers include it into the Extended warranty as a bonus.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Hang up and Drive!
83 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
Did you opt to purchase the tire hazzard warranty? Some dealers include it into the Extended warranty as a bonus.

Elrod on the V-Rod

Yeah I looked over the paperwork and the tire/wheel extended warranty is included.

·
Hang up and Drive!
83 Posts
Sweet. Since it was the back tire and they have to replace, do I need to do anything special to fit a 260 instead of a 240 on the rear.

I asked the dealer that and they said that I would need and aftermarket kit to fit the tire.

Is that true???

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I called Harley directly on this. There is nothing saying you can only use Dunlops or that you have to pay the difference. All it says is the tire going on the bike must state that it is for your specific model. Now there is a cap on how much over the lifetime they will spend. I do not remember the exact number but it was around $1,000 US. I did ask if the Dunlop went flat and i wanted Metzlers will the dealer do it. He said that yes they should at no charge to me. Now what he did also add is that I may want to pick up the extra shipping, or special order price because that comes out of the cap. Aftermarket wheels are also covered but only the first $500 per wheel. That can kinda hurt but still better than nothing. He did say that rotors, cogs, bearings, speedo sensors and ABS sensors and sprokets if you still have one are not covered under the wheel and tire deal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts