Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering about the experiences of member with Zippers Performance products. For the V-Rod they offer a service to enlarge the bores of the throttle bodies that includes larger diameter velocity stacks and a K&N air cleaner. Has anyone tried this and what were the results. I'm thinking of using this on an otherwise stock Street Rod with a Super Tuner and perhaps a few strategically placed openings in the top of the air box. I do not want to open the engine up. Iv seen some posts mentioning shaft breakage on big bore throttle bodies and that concerns me. Were these TB's bored out by Zippers? I will stay with stock cams on this engine if that makes any difference in intake resonance.
Zippers also offers a 1325 big bore kit and a 1450 kit that includes a stroker crank and bigger bore. Has anyone tried these and what were the results? I'm thinking of using one of these to power an R with hard luggage and FXRT fairing. Ought to make enough power to move all the extra weight (factor in the girl unit I'll be hauling with this ) but I wonder about drivability and durability. It has to be civilized enough to tour on and durable enough to stand up to hard day to day use and long trips. A hand grenade would be useless.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My buddy had one of Zippers 58mm TB that broke and cost him a 1550 cc engine.
Ugh!
Stock cams and stock engine or was the engine already built to 1550? I'm trying to figure out if the throttle shaft breakage is related to hot cams or if it is something that happens even to stock displacement engines with stock cams. I'm also trying to decide if I need to warn a friend about this.

Thanks.

·
Trouble Maker
1,078 Posts
From what I gather some factory TB's are breaking also. Jim

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I'm wondering about the experiences of member with Zippers Performance products. For the V-Rod they offer a service to enlarge the bores of the throttle bodies that includes larger diameter velocity stacks and a K&N air cleaner. Has anyone tried this and what were the results. I'm thinking of using this on an otherwise stock Street Rod with a Super Tuner and perhaps a few strategically placed openings in the top of the air box. I do not want to open the engine up. Iv seen some posts mentioning shaft breakage on big bore throttle bodies and that concerns me. Were these TB's bored out by Zippers? I will stay with stock cams on this engine if that makes any difference in intake resonance.
Zippers also offers a 1325 big bore kit and a 1450 kit that includes a stroker crank and bigger bore. Has anyone tried these and what were the results? I'm thinking of using one of these to power an R with hard luggage and FXRT fairing. Ought to make enough power to move all the extra weight (factor in the girl unit I'll be hauling with this ) but I wonder about drivability and durability. It has to be civilized enough to tour on and durable enough to stand up to hard day to day use and long trips. A hand grenade would be useless.
To answer your question(s);

Zippers has been in the racing, performance parts and machine shop business for over 25 years. They do things right and are very highly successful in their field!!

Many, many members here with V-rods and many others with V-twins have done business with them successfully over the years.

To your comment about the 58mm throttle body I would like to know more about specifically what happened. Over the years there have been issues with the shaft but that was not limited to 58mm throttlebodys. I have seen and experienced a shaft breakage (not theirs) and it did not cause any catistrophic damage to the motor itself.

To your question regarding the two big bore options I would recommend either with a very high degree of confidence.

In other word "this ain't Zippers first rodeo". Their products can and do prove their worth.

Thats' my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The shaft broke where the screw goes.
So the shaft broke at one of the blade screw holes and you sucked the screw into the motor??? If so there is an extensive thread on this very subject about 10 down from this one. It seems that the shaft breakage issue is fairly wide spread and notlimited to a Zippers product.

When you get a chance see what you think. I used locktite on my bored and stock throttle body and didn't have any more issues.

I am however interested in the enhanced throttle body shafts being discussed.

Regards

Jerry

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
So the shaft broke at one of the blade screw holes and you sucked the screw into the motor??? If so there is an extensive thread on this very subject about 10 down from this one. It seems that the shaft breakage issue is fairly wide spread and notlimited to a Zippers product.

When you get a chance see what you think. I used locktite on my bored and stock throttle body and didn't have any more issues.

I am however interested in the enhanced throttle body shafts being discussed.

Regards

Jerry
I wasn't picking on Zippers the guy asked and I just posted what I saw.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To answer your question(s);

Zippers has been in the racing, performance parts and machine shop business for over 25 years. They do things right and are very highly successful in their field!!

Many, many members here with V-rods and many others with V-twins have done business with them successfully over the years.

To your comment about the 58mm throttle body I would like to know more about specifically what happened. Over the years there have been issues with the shaft but that was not limited to 58mm throttlebodys. I have seen and experienced a shaft breakage (not theirs) and it did not cause any catistrophic damage to the motor itself.

To your question regarding the two big bore options I would recommend either with a very high degree of confidence.

In other word "this ain't Zippers first rodeo". Their products can and do prove their worth.

Thats' my 2 cents.

I know Zippers has a great reputation. I am looking for input from owners who have these products on their bikes and know about them from first hand experience.

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
let me know if I can help you save some money on the Zippers parts...

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
The issue I see with the Zipper BB kits is the use of Wiseco pistons which have had multiple occurances of breaking off the piston skirts. You are better off piecing a kit together using CP pistons.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
o2man98:

Is this a recent issue?? I used Weisco pistons with a couple of my Big Bores and helped do several other upgrades and never had an issue.

Some of these bikes ran in the AHDRA circuit for multiple racing seasons and were torn down between races. No issues whatsoever turned up.

I'm just asking not challenging your experience.

Regards

Jerry

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
o2man98:

Is this a recent issue?? I used Weisco pistons with a couple of my Big Bores and helped do several other upgrades and never had an issue.

Some of these bikes ran in the AHDRA circuit for multiple racing seasons and were torn down between races. No issues whatsoever turned up.

I'm just asking not challenging your experience.

Regards

Jerry
Jerry,

Off the top of my head the one's that come right to mind were Frank and Noel. The other negative IMO is they are only a 2 ring piston.

Noel

Frank

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Jerry,

Off the top of my head the one's that come right to mind were Frank and Noel. The other negative IMO is they are only a 2 ring piston.

Noel

Frank
Damn!!! I agree that's NOT good.

Is it possible that the stroked crank is hitting the piston skirt in that area? I don't see any marks on the rod in that area in your pictures but thought I would ask.

I'm real sorry for the damage but thanks for sharing the trauma.

Have you talked with Weisco??

Regards

Jerry

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I've been thinking more about the shaft breakage and am wondering if you also experienced "blade flutter" at idle due to your high lift cams.

This issue drove me crazy for awhile until I resynced the blades at WOT and at idle and increased the idle speed to open up the blades a little more until the flutter went away.

What I am trying to convey is that the constant flutter may cause a load on the shaft that it isn't designed for.

Just personal thoughts and experiences to throw in the mix.

Regards

Jerry

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Damn!!! I agree that's NOT good.

Is it possible that the stroked crank is hitting the piston skirt in that area? I don't see any marks on the rod in that area in your pictures but thought I would ask.

I'm real sorry for the damage but thanks for sharing the trauma.

Have you talked with Weisco??

Regards

Jerry
There plenty of crank to piston clearance in both of these cases. Never contacted Wiseco about it as CP makes pistons that are better in all areas from machining to plain ole design. My father prototyped pistons for almost 30 years for companies from GM, Ford, Mercury Marine, to HD and Nissan and more. He saw my CP's and said there is no reason to look any further for a better piece.

I've been thinking more about the shaft breakage and am wondering if you also experienced "blade flutter" at idle due to your high lift cams.

This issue drove me crazy for awhile until I resynced the blades at WOT and at idle and increased the idle speed to open up the blades a little more until the flutter went away.

What I am trying to convey is that the constant flutter may cause a load on the shaft that it isn't designed for.

Just personal thoughts and experiences to throw in the mix.

Regards

Jerry
Jerry,

I truly do feel that it is a harmonics issue with the Stage II cams primarily that is causing fatigue and ultimately failure on the shaft.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
I'm certainly no expert but I have to agree with Ken on the harmonics issue. I can tell you running these cams that between about 2500-3000 rpm there is a highly elevated noise profile coming out of the intake that disappears after passing through 3000. It's very possible that the shafts are getting beaten to death passing through that range.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
o2man98

Well I wouldn't question your dad either!!!!!

I would be curious as to what Weisco knows about this issue. If you get curious too I recommend a call to Neil Taylor Service Manager at Tilley's HD in Statesville. He and Don Tilley may know more about this issue.

Regards.

I agree with you on the shaft issue.

Regards

Jerry

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
o2man98

Well I wouldn't question your dad either!!!!!

I would be curious as to what Weisco knows about this issue. If you get curious too I recommend a call to Neil Taylor Service Manager at Tilley's HD in Statesville. He and Don Tilley may know more about this issue.

Regards.

I agree with you on the shaft issue.

Regards

Jerry
Jerry,

I did not put Dad into it to "brag". I hope it did not come out that way. I just put it in there as a reference from someone that has a long history of pistons and the makings of them. He examines everything down to the pin hole honing angles.

Ken

1 - 20 of 33 Posts