Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bladerunner
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on wrapping the head pipes this weekend on my D&D FatCat 2:1 because at only 2 months old the ceramic coating is bubbling off. The turn around that D&D has shown thus far has proven too long of a time for me to send them back now.

My question is: should I wrap the whole pipe, with the heat shields on, or remove the heat shields, then wrap?

I wrapped the 4:1 pipes on my Honda, but they had to heat shields so it was never an issue.

So what should I do??

Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I havent wrapped pipes on V-Rod but have on a couple of other bikes I own. I removed heat shields and wrapped pipes, then reinstalled heat shields.

·
Bladerunner
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, my guess was that wrapping the shields on the pipes would create a possible trap for air/moisture...

·
all or nothing
1,372 Posts
Don't wrap the head shields. You can fit them back arter wrapping, by using longer bands.
I have done it that way, with double layers.

·
Bladerunner
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't wrap the head shields. You can fit them back arter wrapping, by using longer bands.
I have done it that way, with double layers.
Yeah, if I decide to put them back on, I'm going to have to paint them since that's what is bubbling. If that's the case, the paint will not match the can which will still be factory black ceramic. Unless I re spray the whole thing... Ugh, why did I pay $700 for this crap?!

Anyone know what will happen of I spray over the ceramic coating with that 2000-degree header paint??

·
Bladerunner
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what about getting them recoated with another cermic company like Jet-Hot
Well even the front head pipe itself that is exposed is eff'd up. So I'd have to coat the entire system...

·
Registered
246 Posts
i had my standard headers on my 07 dx wrapped until recently when the pipes cracked underneath.. the mechanic was saying they draw moisture and it cant escape maybe that cause mine to crack

·
Trouble Maker
1,078 Posts
I dont see how moisture could make them crack? Making them rust or rust out I could see. My V&H pipe is stainless so I wrapped only part of my pipes as they were melting my pants. I was told by many that wrapping most pipes has caused cracking. I used this stuff on a street/drag car of mine a couple years ago and it caused my very expensive headers to rust away QUICKLEY. Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts