Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my story:

Took my 09dx in to my local dealer to get an exhaust leak fixed, long story short, I wound up on the hook for a new rear header pipe, as the old one was tweaked(the raised ridge was missing some material, and the flange wouldn't catch it). Went to the shop today, and they still couldn't get the exhaust to seat. The flange that was on there was bent, so they replaced it, and proceeded to bend that one, as they couldn't get it to seal either. When they tightened it down, there was a considerable gap at the bottom of the port, and no gap at the top. Now they are suspecting that the head may be warped (at the exhaust port) just enough to prevent a seal.

Any of you guys experience anything like this, or have any tips that could save me some time and/or aggravation? At this rate, I'm starting to think about parting it out & going back to a jap bike...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Are you running the stock exhaust? I would get a second opinion from another shop. I've never heard of any v-rods with warped heads but I guess it could happen.

·
Registered
655 Posts
No never heard of it and I've Mcgivered some pretty f up headers on bikes.Who had the header off last,likely they didn't seat it by HAND before torquing it down.Also I don't see how they could bend the new flang without knowing it wasn't lining up unless were blind and went at it with a tool and didn't tighten it evenly since you can see the gap at the bottom only.I take the system off in pieces and do not take it off as a whole unit as the service manual describes,maybe they let it hang.
Everything goes together hand tight first to so it finds the seat and torqued in sequence If not thats how you break a stud and bend stuff.What do the studs and retaining ring look like (crooked).
I cant see the port warping on it's own.Could a motor mount be the root cause and how far does the lower volume sit from the bottom frame rail?Was the bike dropped or hit?When did it start to leak?If It wasn't going on they should not have tried to force it period.Sounds like it may have been messed up before they worked on it and they made it worse.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the stock exhaust. Bike wasn't dropped or hit. The studs are new, as they said the old ones came out when they took the exhaust off. The bike only has about 3K, so I'm guessing the motor mounts are ok. It started to leak after I put the stock system back on, and after trying it a couple of times with no success, I took it to the stealer ship...I doubt that 80 in/lbs of torque was enough to bend the flange, so I'm stuck shaking my head...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got off the phone with the stealer, and I'm having another shop come by & pick it up from them & take over this job...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts