Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Luke
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recenly just purchased a v&h competition pipe for my 2010 vrscdx. I also got the k&n filter and a pcv. Well I had heard some bad experiences with the pcv from a close friend that works at the harley dealer, so I returned it and was planning on just getting a download from harley. He got the pipes on and test rode it to see how it done. He said it hesitates a small bit when you roll on the throttle hard and would probably need a tune. He took it back and removed the top of the airbox and test rode it topless and said that it doesn't need a download anymore. It runs strong with no decel popping or backfire what so ever. Have any of you guys had an experience like this?

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Get it tested on a dynamometer. You should get a print-out of Horsepower, Torque, and Air/Fuel ratio.

Post the results print-out on this website for scrutiny. :coff:

·
Registered
727 Posts
From what I read around this forum. You are lucky that it doesn't run rough. I did similiar mods and my bike ran ok but was to lean. I added the SERT and had it dyno tuned. Let me tell you it really woke the bike up. If your bike starts running funny then you may need to go with a different tuner but that seems unlikely the tuner was at fault. You may need a better tech guy to tune the bike. A tuner with your mods will get you the most out of your bike with the right tune.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
From what I read around this forum. You are lucky that it doesn't run rough. I did similiar mods and my bike ran ok but was to lean. I added the SERT and had it dyno tuned. Let me tell you it really woke the bike up. If your bike starts running funny then you may need to go with a different tuner but that seems unlikely the tuner was at fault. You may need a better tech guy to tune the bike. A tuner with your mods will get you the most out of your bike with the right tune.
Yup I agree... To the OP, your changes require some tuning to get your AFR's in the right range especially at WOT... All the motors coming from the MOCO are set very lean (14.7 AFR) to meet EPA standards... You want your AFR to be between 12.5 and 13 thru out your RPM range but especially at WOT, your risking burning valves in your motor without a proper tune to get your AFR's where they're suppose to be... Just my 2 cents :)...

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Just to add to the great advice... Your tech is not very experienced if he does not realize that your bike is running way too lean. Get a tuner ASAP. PCV is a great tuner!

·
JCCS Customs
43 Posts
Today I asked my local HD Dealer what tuner is best for TAB slip ons and k&n filter. The mechanic told me not to get a tuner then showed me a dyno sheet for a new VRSCF they just put the mufflers and TAB K&N type filter on. There was no baseline but the initial run was 122hp without a tune at 13.5. He told me not to waste my time getting a tuner. I dont believe the hype......any comments, get a tuner or not???

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
do the pipes and dyno without a tune and see for yourself.
I do know that when I added a tuner to my stock AW, it improved the performance and responsiveness.

·
Muscle Man
868 Posts
Today I asked my local HD Dealer what tuner is best for TAB slip ons and k&n filter. The mechanic told me not to get a tuner then showed me a dyno sheet for a new VRSCF they just put the mufflers and TAB K&N type filter on. There was no baseline but the initial run was 122hp without a tune at 13.5. He told me not to waste my time getting a tuner. I dont believe the hype......any comments, get a tuner or not???
this isn't directed at you, jccscustoms, but I smell :bs:

no freakin' way they got those #'s w/those mods ONLY and NO TUNE :bs:

these are my numbers after 8 HOURS of tuning:

Attachments

·
PEPE
617 Posts
Burnt valve here :tmbsdow:, learned the hard way. Have exact same set up as you. Indy Pipe, K&N filter, PC. GET IT TUNED!!!!!!!!

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
The only way to know is to do a few pulls on a dyno, shouldn't cost more than $50 and sometimes you can get them for free. Post your results, I would love to see them.

·
JCCS Customs
43 Posts
I appreciate all the help

Maybe my local dealer was trying to save me some money. My bike with 350 miles is non responsive now and that is what I am trying to get corrected. I dont have a clue about V Rods this is my first rodeo with them that is why I am putting all my information to use to make sure i dont screw my bike up. I thought the dealer was pretty good but I will take the advice to get the tuner. I have read everything on the forum about tuners but I am still not sure which one to get.

Anyone know a reputable tuner in Houston/ San Antonio/ Dallas Areas?

·
Muscle Man
868 Posts
I have read everything on the forum about tuners but I am still not sure which one to get.
Anyone know a reputable tuner in Houston/ San Antonio/ Dallas Areas?
what I did was after going cross-eyed from reading posts/making phone calls/sending pm's was got a TTS MasterTune, used a dealer listed on the TTS MT website, spoke to Doc of Doc's performance in Florida who trains techs to tune with the TTS MT product as to which of those dealers I should choose, went and got it dyno tuned by the closest shop to me that was recommended (4 hours away) and now enjoy a kick ass tune done for my bike!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
IMHO...yes..
Many believe that simply changing the exhaust will NOT cause any harm to your AFR. However, none of those people have ever offered to pay for our engine rebuilds after we lean out and cook the engine.

·
Muscle Man
868 Posts
IMHO...yes..
Many believe that simply changing the exhaust will NOT cause any harm to your AFR. However, none of those people have ever offered to pay for our engine rebuilds after we lean out and cook the engine.
:them:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Need for a tuner

I put the baffled tab performance mufflers on. I do get a miss here and there, and the engine light comes on and off.
I ordered the tab filter and tuner and plan to put it on. So even with just pipes I do believe a tuner is needed.
I don't know if the dyno is worth the price though. The Harley dearler here in Omaha charges $243 for a dyno run.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts