Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know (ballpark) how hot it gets at front end of the cans, just aft of the 3d volume?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
hot enough that you will need to install something inside the muffler of your new Mega-line exhaust or it will blue/turn brown within 30 miles. I used a piece of 4" long scrap iron tubing and slid inside the muffler at the 3rd volume end.
Next time I take the bike for a decent spin I will shoot the 3rd volume w/my IR thermometer.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The collector is already brown. I'm thinking of getting some high-temp tape to wrap the front end of the can so that the new heat shield rests on the tape instead of the can's chrome.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
good idea! On my first top can "wicked-line" it turned brown a good 6" up the can. On the one I have on now I rode 15 miles before sleeving the can & it had already started to go brown. since installing the sleeve, it has not gotten worst.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My collector is over 11" long. I know that's not a lot of difference in temp LOL, but maybe. My can is still blue/white chrome, but it's a junk/experimental can that I will run for a while before replacing it with a new one.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
is the collector gutted? Since it's a "junk" can I say run it and see if the blueing gets worse or not.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
exactly

The collector is just a straight stainless Y pipe kinda like this...

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
you will have to space that heat shield off the muffler otherwise it wll wear its way through the chrome.dont ask me how i know this.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what the tape will be for. I just need tape that will stand up to the heat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts