Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
backcracker
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am swapping out the exhaust in the garage, and I think every bolt is loose and I still can't get the darn thing off. Am I missing something? Any help from you guys would be great.

BTW, am I wrong in seeing that the hex bolts are metric?
Kinda pi$$ed after buying my Snap-on hex set in standard.

:confused:

Dan

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Dan most of the exhaust bolts are metric. If your taking off the slip on pipes you have the two band clamps that are 15mm to loosen, then remove what seems like is one 8mm hex from the bottom of the lower pipe and then pull the two 8mm hex out the connect the top muffler to the bottom muffler. Then get ready to start working the pipe around to loosen it at the front. If your taking everything off all the way to the first collector you have a lot more screws to remove to do that but I prefer to remove the mufflers first.

·
backcracker
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Max, I am having a he!! of a time getting those 8mm bolts that connect the top canister to the bottom one. I'm probably gonna just take the whole darn thing off. More bolts but seems like it will be easier in the end. Thanks again. :notworthy

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Heh..... I remember before I swapped out I had read many posts on how difficult it was to remove the pipes. Got the top one off with no problem, but then...... the bottom. What the???...... bang-bang-bang-bang. Not a smidge....bang-bang-bang. Nothin'....bang-bang-bang. Jeeze Leweeze!!...... ???? Oop. I had failed to remove the bolt underneath the pipe..... came off easily. :rolleyes:

·
backcracker
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL, too funny, I will maybe inspect the bike a little better tonight before I get the hammer out. Thanks. :rofl3:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Always remember to put something on that swingarm to protect it. scars very easily. Just ask my dealership (knobs).
Glad it worked out.
BobT

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
After making sure that you've got all the required fasteners out (the diagram in the Service Manual is helpful here..) the best things for getting the exhaust off are are generous squirt of WD-40 and a certain amount of wrestling.

I usually squirt some WD-40 on the junction between the muffler and the "secondary volume" can - on the spot where the band clamps go. Allow this to work its way down between the metal.

Then, you can usually get the muffler cans off by carefully wiggling them back and forth (a little at a time) - while applying firm "pulling" force towards the back of the bike. The mufflers overlap the secondary volume outlet by about an inch and a half - so you've got to move them a fair bit before they come apart.

Its not a bad idea to have a towel spread out on the floor, since the mufflers themselves are suprisingly heavy (especially if you take them off together.)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I agree with Bob.
My swing arm has scares as well. My fault though.
Put a towel between the arm and the pipes or else!
And watch the hernia when you remove the OEM pipes.

Best wishes.

Ken.

·
backcracker
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again guys, I will get the towel, WD-40, and start working out today to make sure I don't blow a tube when they finally come off the bike. Why would they make the pipes so darn heavy anyway???

·
Registered
284 Posts
Don't know, but I wish i had read this before I removed my pipes last month!

Best wishes mate.

Ken

·
Registered
454 Posts
The easiest way to loosen the upper bolts is to use a ball-end hex key that lets you work at an angle. Especially helpful for the bolt that's closer to the shock. Before you put the new pipes on apply some Loctite anti-seize, this way next time you have to take them off it'll be a breeze.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
V-Man said:
The easiest way to loosen the upper bolts is to use a ball-end hex key that lets you work at an angle.
What I did was cut a 8 mm allen wrench long enough toreach on top of the muffler, and stuck it in a 8mm socket.:D

·
backcracker
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the WD-40 and some yanking worked just fine. It came off after I let it soak into the crack. Is it me or does this post sound a little strange? :diablo:

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
I just swore a lot!

·
Registered
284 Posts
G'day Dan.
I used KY gel to remove my V Rod pipes, are we doing something wrong? :)

Ken
:cheers:

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
swing arm protection

Toured the factory last week and they had a set of covers for about every piece of chrome. The swing arm covers stood out in my mind, wish I had them before I switched out the pipes. Not sure how to get ahold of a set.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey guys, I just got the wife to help. She handled that muffler without scratching the swing arm.
Sorry, I don't loan her out.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Ken did you use the new hot KY? Seems to me that if you did it would expand the outer pipe for smooth removal.Would probably work good for inserting too!

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Registered
373 Posts
The loud pipes sound great,but how many Harleys can you fire up in the middle of the night and slip off without waking anyone up. LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts