Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my TH today, and I am ready to put that baby on. But I remember having trouble removing the center piece on my stock nightrod exhaust. Last time I tried to disconnect it from the head pipes, it did not budge an inch. I gave up on it (because I really didnt have to remove it anyways, I was just tinkering). Now I will have to take it off. Anyone have any tips for me? Will a shot of oil do the trick? I'm trying to avoid beating on it. Thanks

·
Registered
531 Posts
LIUNARep said:
Penetrating oil, Liquid Wrench, did the trick for me. No effort at all.

Add a rubber mallet for me.. Use anti-seize when you reassemble so it will come off easy next time..

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
I agree with DJ and the General...penetrating fluid and a mallet. If it doesn't work right away, soak the buggers down and let them sit overnight then take the mallet to them again! :bat

·
03 A
1,506 Posts
I had same problem when I was installing the TH last year. I was adviced to use penetrating oil and not to be gentle shaking it towards left and right sides, top and bottom sides while pulling. I acutally used WD40 then wiggled it and let it seat the following morning I pulled it and it came off easy. Good luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
WD40 and my rubber mallet...best tools in my box...I've had my exhaust on/off many times...I did get another figure-8 clamp at one point...good luck

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
cutting torch. Kidding. Penetrating oil is the ticket for this.

·
Wretched Excess.....
2,067 Posts
You just have to show it who's in charge. Some sort of penetrating lubricant and shake it to the left, shake it to the right, shake it up and down.......Maybe this would be more appropriate for the bar........

·
Registered
86 Posts
cutting torch might help , works on stubborn old car exhausts- just heat it up slightly red then break it loose, if all else fails. I've used a plumbers kind of torch in desperate circumstance, they are cheaper!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I heard somewhere that the mounting bracket holes are a little off when mounting it on a nightrod. Two of the 3 holes line up, and the other one is off I hear. Anybody experience this?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used penetrating oil and a rubber mallet. 3rd volume came right off. The mounting bracket required modifications, just as I thought. I trimmed the front of the bracket to fit the contours of the frame, and three of the four bolt holes had to be redrilled. The pipe sat a little too high, causing the heatshield to contact the bottom of the peg mount, so I had to elongate the rear hole (downward) a tad. The TH website shows the new mounts, and they look like the problem has been fixed, and all the holes are in the right places now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts