Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
come here dummy
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got delivery of my R last week. The dealer had already fitted a set of Caliber pipes on the bike and threw away the stock pipes.

I love the bike, rides great, but the sound is deafening. I wear a full face helmet, 33db N.R. earplugs and I get off the bike after 30 min and my ears are ringing.

I've searched on the forum and found 'reviews' of the calibers and they say it's louder than stock, but no one said that it's like holding a .45 to your ear and letting go.... is the bike setup right? (also came with a Racetuner and Stage I air filter).

1) Is there any way to quiet these pipes, they really do look nice.

2) Are the cans from the DX compatible?

Thanks,
ESP

·
Registered
317 Posts
Had i kept these on my R i would not have gone deaf, i would have been shot with that .45 by all my neighbours, you know, the ones that live THE OTHER FRIGGING SIDE OF TOWN!!!

In my mind ditch em and get some Super Trapps

·
beer me
240 Posts
No Way

I have the same set up & theres no way I would change it. The dealer threw away my old cans even after I requested them to save all old parts. I was told by the tech before I had them installed that they would be loud, or louder than the SE cans, but thats what I wanted. Everythings dialed in after the dyno & I get a lot of compliments, its definately a head turner.:cheers: :

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's all what you are into. I had the Caliber exhaust on my bike for one week. Whaaaaay louder than stock. Too loud for me. I like a good sound but don't want to get a head ache from pipe drone on the highway. I went back to stocks for a year. Now I just received my V+H 2 into 1. I think it will give me sound I want with just a little more volume than stock. (at least I hope).

The Caliber pipes have removable baffles that you can pack with fiberglass. I didn't try it but my understanding is that they are still pretty loud packed.

Does anyone else have a really hard time believing that a dealer 'threw away' A brand new set of stock pipes?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I get an echo inside my helmet from my exhaust too. Not so bad without a full helmet. Keep looking, I'm sure someone has a quieter pipe for the R.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have stock pipes on mine, just purchased hollow points. I would sell the stock ones pretty reasonable, I am in LA area.

If you are interested, send me an e mail

[email protected]

We are on our way home from bike trip to Alaska, will be home this week end.

·
beer me
240 Posts
Old Parts

The dealer changed my exhaust, seat, and air filter and the only thing I got back was my seat. I asked if they would be willing to compensate and they said yes, I'm not sure what to ask for in return, not sure what the stock cans are really worth?

·
Paintless Rider
1,326 Posts
JUMPINSTEVIEG said:
The dealer changed my exhaust, seat, and air filter and the only thing I got back was my seat. I asked if they would be willing to compensate and they said yes, I'm not sure what to ask for in return, not sure what the stock cans are really worth?

Tell them you want to buy a stock set of cans, and then you will know how much they think they are worth.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have the Caliber pipes and for the money, less than 300, I am happy with them. I agree that the noise in a full face helmet is very loud. You can wrap the baffle with muffler wrap. The stuff I use has fiberglass and stainless steel mesh in a dual layer and works quite nicely. I might try something else like taking some large washer's and cutting them in half. Then weld one on the front of the baffle on top and the other half on the other end at the bottom and maybe that will change the sound and increase back pressure.
When I wear a half helmet and ear plugs, I have no problems. My wife wears a 3/4 helmet and she thinks the pipes sound good. Guess it is just a full face helmet reverb issue.

·
Registered
112 Posts
JUMPINSTEVIEG said:
If someone here can give you a part number for the stock pipes, you can go to www.chicagoharley.com, enter the number and get the price of the stock parts. That is great that they are going to make it right.

·
V-Mod.com
581 Posts
These Baffles are not wrapped from Samson. If you wrap them you may like them. Just use regular fiber glass and masking tape. Tape the glass , re-install the baffles and enjoy. Same goes for the CFR or Rinehart.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I used masking tape 1st time. Second time I used light weight cotton twine and it sounded better and wrapping lasted longer.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Maybe someone can help me out here. I have an '06 that I drilled the end caps on. While I did unleash a little more rumble, have I increased the flow ? Is there a baffle on the inlet side that I should have cut out with a hole saw to make the mod effective from a performance perspective ?

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I have a sneaking suspicion that stock exhaust is in the dealer's attic and not the dumpster. Those things are gold when someone crashes their bike out and the insurance pays full pop for stock replacement parts. Don't kid your self, this is what dealers do.
Many many moons ago I had a 1980 Sportster that was becoming a bit of a sport bike. All my riding buddies at the time had Guzzi's, Ducatis, BMW's and Laverda's, so I had to do something. Among the changes were a set of the Siamesed Dual pipes from a 1979 Sportster, same style as those on the old Cafe Racer but in chrome. My dealer charged me all of $40 for the complete system, taken off a Sportster who's owner wanted staggered duals. I didn't mind the discount, but I have to believe your dealer is keeping that exhaust and is lying to you if he or she says they were "thrown out".

·
come here dummy
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah, thanks... I spoke to them again and they said they're not sure if they sold them on ebay or at a parts swap...anyway....

I had some steel wool in the closet and I wrapped the baffles last night with a thin layer. It really did help. I'm wondering if there's a performance hit. By the seat of my pants, the bike actually felt better, but I'm not sure if that's because the blood dripping from my ears stopped.

Also, I'm not sure if the bike was running hotter. It felt hotter on my leg, but the oil temp wasn't really any different.

I'll give it a few days with the current setup and then wither try more steel wool or fiberglass wrap if it's still too loud.

(I did this at midnight so I wasn't really too awake to enjoy the results.).

btw... this was an email I sent to my friend...
I can now hear the exhaust of other obnoxious pipes...
I can now hear the thumpin music coming from the boppin cars...
I can now hear (some) wind noise...
I can now hear the ringing of the tinnitus in my ears....
...over the blaring noise coming from my exhaust!

Allen Wrench - $8
Steel wool - $4
Being able to hear the ringing in your ears... painful.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Cdale136 said:
It's all what you are into. I had the Caliber exhaust on my bike for one week. Whaaaaay louder than stock. Too loud for me. I like a good sound but don't want to get a head ache from pipe drone on the highway. I went back to stocks for a year. Now I just received my V+H 2 into 1. I think it will give me sound I want with just a little more volume than stock. (at least I hope).

The Caliber pipes have removable baffles that you can pack with fiberglass. I didn't try it but my understanding is that they are still pretty loud packed.

Does anyone else have a really hard time believing that a dealer 'threw away' A brand new set of stock pipes?

"threw away" on Ebay, most likely. I know my dealer has an online store...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts