Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alright guys I just recently got my hands on a 2009 Night Rod Special and I'm looking for some tips on the best sounding and performing exhaust for the ride. I'm a big believer in Vance & Hines pipes however I found another brand that appears to be the same pipes. The following links are to the two pipes I am comparing and trying to decide from:

View attachment 603776

View attachment 603777

Both of these pipes have the same general shape and appear to have the same steel ratings. The only two primary differences I have is the O2 Sensors and the big price difference hence my hesitation on spending the money.

Also if you guys have any better suggestions on pipes you use please let me know.
Hi, I have had the highway man on my 07 dx for probably 6-7 years now. Its a bargain, but sits low and drags in some corners, Got it stretched and lifted. But if I were to do it over again, id look at the thunder header. As I found out the short drag pipes like the danmoto are designed for full throttle (drag racing), so are not optomising your torque at lower street usable rpm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I have had the highway man on my 07 dx for probably 6-7 years now. Its a bargain, but sits low and drags in some corners, Got it stretched and lifted. But if I were to do it over again, id look at the thunder header. As I found out the short drag pipes like the danmoto are designed for full throttle (drag racing), so are not optomising your torque at lower street usable rpm.
And yes as others say the coating is not great, but I ceramic coated mine when it got modified.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alright guys I just recently got my hands on a 2009 Night Rod Special and I'm looking for some tips on the best sounding and performing exhaust for the ride. I'm a big believer in Vance & Hines pipes however I found another brand that appears to be the same pipes. The following links are to the two pipes I am comparing and trying to decide from:

View attachment 603776

View attachment 603777

Both of these pipes have the same general shape and appear to have the same steel ratings. The only two primary differences I have is the O2 Sensors and the big price difference hence my hesitation on spending the money.

Also if you guys have any better suggestions on pipes you use please let me know.
I have a 2010 NRS with Supertrappslip, a Power Commander and Dyno Tuned. Everything I could ask for!
Great Sound and Extra Power!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I like my SuperTrapps with no end cap, they sound great.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
?That single Supertrapp V5 was the exhaust Dyno shootout winner some years ago, but like njgvrod says " As I found out the short drag pipes like the danmoto are designed for full throttle (drag racing), so are not optimizing your torque at lower street usable rpm." that's true - at least with the Supertrapps we can adjust back pressure for low end torque - on the Akro, Danmoto & V&H etc. you can insert a db reducer but that restricts flow, which snubs Hp but does help move torque down low. I used to race a WR400 off road with high flow 5 valve head and DSP Ti pipe, a 45mm outlet and I'd install a 38mm outlet reducer to tame it for Enduro's but ran it open for high Rpm hare scrambles. Big huge difference. The Revo';s got two large 4" pistons, a short stroke, & higher Rpm so there's lots of big exhaust power pulses trying to get thru some of these small pipe outlets - not a real recipe for high Hp - no sense in having a high flowing Revo head if the spent gases can't flow easily out of the exhaust and create suction on the other cylinder for scavenging. A 2.5 " baffle & outlet is 7.85 sq. inches, seems about right at 18" long, could probably go larger diameter than that at 24" length which stops at the rear axle. All I'm sayin' is - Let those Two Big Revo Jugs Breathe ! (y):D

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought the Akra to drop 30lbs off the right side of the bike. That's 3 sacks of potatoes that aren't trying to make the bike fall over in a turn.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
I bought the Akra to drop 30lbs off the right side of the bike. That's 3 sacks of potatoes that aren't trying to make the bike fall over in a turn.
I only dropped 24 lbs. The Supertrap fatshots were 6lbs lighter then the stock mufflers. I did weight the two complete systems and wondered WFT, the remembered I changed the mufflers when I first got the bike. As for hands off, my bike does it with either system. Must be my anal alignment process.
Ron

·
Registered
15 Posts
Head tubes are 51-52mm OD so 1.75" ID is probably right. Mid pipe to muffler is just over 60mm so I also think you're 2.25" ID is accurate.

@rbabos The outlet of the baffle on my Akrapovic is 44mm View attachment 603845 View attachment 603847 View attachment 603848 View attachment 603849
Let me pic your brain for a second as I see some bolts that catch my eye. Your heat shield bolts are not stock and something tells me they work better than the ones that have fallen off of my heat shields on my akrapovic. Care to share the secret? lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Let me pic your brain for a second as I see some bolts that catch my eye. Your heat shield bolts are not stock and something tells me they work better than the ones that have fallen off of my heat shields on my akrapovic. Care to share the secret? lol
If your referring to me and my bike in the pic above, its the stock bolts that came with the Akrapovic. They have the "seal" between the bolt and the shield ( installed like the instructions stated )

·
Registered
277 Posts
If your referring to me and my bike in the pic above, its the stock bolts that came with the Akrapovic. They have the "seal" between the bolt and the shield ( installed like the instructions stated )
Yea I was going to say I have the bolts that came with my Akra (I bought brand new) and I have the same bolts as pictured. Fiber washer on both sides per the Akra instructions. You can really see what I'm referring to on my video here at the 9:20 mark:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yea I was going to say I have the bolts that came with my Akra (I bought brand new) and I have the same bolts as pictured. Fiber washer on both sides per the Akra instructions. You can really see what I'm referring to on my video here at the 9:20 mark:

What happened to that belt tension video you was suppose to do?

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Regardless of fiber washer on the inside or not, a dab of red loctite is desirable . Yes it works at that temp to prevent the heat shield bolts from loosening. The grabbing effect of the fiber washers is lost just about the first snugging of the shields.
Ron

·
Registered
171 Posts
I searched High and Low for the Akra system (here in Canada) to no avail. I'm currently using a CFR slip on that replaced a set of VH BlackWidows. The CFR's sound deep and throaty vs the VH's....the downside is they're LOUD :)

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
I searched High and Low for the Akra system (here in Canada) to no avail. I'm currently using a CFR slip on that replaced a set of VH BlackWidows. The CFR's sound deep and throaty vs the VH's....the downside is they're LOUD :)
Got my Akro form Biohazzard Cycles in Florida. Best price. No point even looking in Canada for that pipe, like just about anything else v rod related.
Ron

·
Registered
171 Posts
Got my Akro form Biohazzard Cycles in Florida. Best price. No point even looking in Canada for that pipe, like just about anything else v rod related.
Ron
Thanks for the heads up Ron!

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Great looking pipe kntdrv & power wise it'll blow the Akro away since it's an open pipe -all it needs to quiet it down is a longer muffler or do what I did add a carbon fiber resonator on to the back of it and tilt it up a few degrees - I used a SS & C/F BMW car one with a 3.5 " outlet - it lets the engine breath while taking the LOUD away - and they look great ! I love the Akro but the muffler is too short and restrictive in order to keep it quieter - the longer the muffler is on a Revo the more open it can be at a certain db rating and the better the engine will run and easier to be able to be tuned. That CFR is a really good pipe, be proud of it !

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sold my V&H to get the Akrapovic and haven't looked back sense. Just depends on what you like and your budget. Taking out the baffle, opened the flow up and sounds so much better.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Looks like I'm late to the party but I can answer this.

Akra changed the heat-shield bolts from 10mm hex to T30 Torx somewhere along the production line. I bought my Akra back in 2015 that used 10mm hex. This sucks for me because when you now order a replacement bolt and gasket kit (PN P-HF95/1) as I did, you get the Torx one.

Now I need to order 5 more to keep the symmetry ffs.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts