Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I just recently got my hands on a 2009 Night Rod Special and I'm looking for some tips on the best sounding and performing exhaust for the ride. I'm a big believer in Vance & Hines pipes however I found another brand that appears to be the same pipes. The following links are to the two pipes I am comparing and trying to decide from:

Both of these pipes have the same general shape and appear to have the same steel ratings. The only two primary differences I have is the O2 Sensors and the big price difference hence my hesitation on spending the money.

Also if you guys have any better suggestions on pipes you use please let me know.

·
VRSC est -03
2,582 Posts
Alright guys I just recently got my hands on a 2009 Night Rod Special and I'm looking for some tips on the best sounding and performing exhaust for the ride..........................
Also if you guys have any better suggestions on pipes you use please let me know.
Akrapovic: does not scrape the ground in right hand turns and perform well.

Yes, they also come in black.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
DanMoto is cheap CV19 China made item, great value but who wants to give China money after they infected the whole planet - V&H best U.S. Hp maker, both have rider heat issues, loud race pipes. Euro Akro few hundred more bucks, SS & Ti muffler is restrictive but saves a lot of weight, you can remove baffle, other length baffles available, looks cool more civilized. Also look at the US Fitzgerald Sucker Punch - a little longer muffler, probably sounds good not sure about muffler packing or welded cone. Also Bassani 2-1 stepped header longer muffler, looks & sounds great but steel a bit heavier, very nice US pipe. GOOD LUCK !

·
Registered
41 Posts
I run Bassani. Looks and sounds amazing. I'm Canadian but love Made In USA products. Stick to local and you wont be disappointed. V&H is a good option too but it sounds more V-twin and less Muscle. Bassani and Akra sound more like a Vrod should. Thats my $0.02

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
I think the Bassani is hard to beat ! if they made one to fit my R I would have bought one instead of my Bub7 - You may be able to marry the fwd head pipes ( lower ) of the Bassani early V rod pipe with the B1 muffler and it should fit below the mid footpegs but might require some bracket fab work to get it all mounted up. If I had a newer 1250 fwd controls V Rod I'd buy the Bassani right away, its great quality, looks great, sounds great, builds power plus the exhaust exits farther back to save whats left of my right ear. Win Win Win. (y) ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
The Danmoto is junk (I've seen a lot of fitment and quality issues). The V&H comp is also junk and poorly designed IMO. I had one and the coating wore off and the pipe scraped at even minimal right hand turns. I understand that pipe is designed for drag bikes only, but how hard is it to design the pipe at a slightly different angle to not scrape on basic right hand turns.

IMO it's either Akrapovic or Fitzgerald. I personally went with the Akra just because I love the look and I've had Akra exhaust on my previous bike. The quality and attention to detail is outstanding. I review it here:

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Nice video jfisher and yes, Akrapovic is an absolute top shelf pipe with no scraping. One never violate motorcycle rule I have is nothing should ever scrape on any of my street M/C's in normal operation. On the R that means 40-42 degrees, even took the feeler pegs off the mid footpegs, still no scraping the Bub7 pipe even with a 24" length that ends at the axle (it angles up a bit) IMHO therein lies the rub with the Akra - the diameter of the exit on the baffle is too small for Revo top flow and power production - probably why even their website claims only a small power increase, but with a short muffler the smaller diameter helps keep it quieter. It's Euro I get it - the problem I had with the 20" long 2.5" baffle core Bub7 I got was it was too high pitched and way too loud causing me to short shift it so my right ear didn't bleed, not good for performance so I welded a 4" long 3.5 "outlet diameter S.S. BMW Auto Exhaust Tip on an adapter that slides inside the Bub7 exit lowering the tone and the volume big time so now it's a 24" long muffler assy. I'm really happy with about 30 man hours later. Take away ? Try the larger baffle in the Akro it may be a bit louder but will put out lots more power as the Revo loves to breathe and doesn't like small pipe exits unless there's two of them ( but does need a little back pressure) BTW what is the inner diameter of the head pipes and the pipe to the silencer ? Thanks, & enjoy that well made beautiful pipe ! (y):D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Nice video jfisher and yes, Akrapovic is an absolute top shelf pipe with no scraping. One never violate motorcycle rule I have is nothing should ever scrape on any of my street M/C's in normal operation. On the R that means 40-42 degrees, even took the feeler pegs off the mid footpegs, still no scraping the Bub7 pipe even with a 24" length that ends at the axle (it angles up a bit) IMHO therein lies the rub with the Akra - the diameter of the exit on the baffle is too small for Revo top flow and power production - probably why even their website claims only a small power increase, but with a short muffler the smaller diameter helps keep it quieter. It's Euro I get it - the problem I had with the 20" long 2.5" baffle core Bub7 I got was it was too high pitched and way too loud causing me to short shift it so my right ear didn't bleed, not good for performance so I welded a 4" long 3.5 "outlet diameter S.S. BMW Auto Exhaust Tip on an adapter that slides inside the Bub7 exit lowering the tone and the volume big time so now it's a 24" long muffler assy. I'm really happy with about 30 man hours later. Take away ? Try the larger baffle in the Akro it may be a bit louder but will put out lots more power as the Revo loves to breathe and doesn't like small pipe exits unless there's two of them ( but does need a little back pressure) BTW what is the inner diameter of the head pipes and the pipe to the silencer ? Thanks, & enjoy that well made beautiful pipe ! (y):D
I thought the Akra's already came with their loudest / most free flowing baffle? That was my understanding from RBabos. I can measure the OD of those two sections, but I aint taking this thing off anytime soon to measure the ID lol.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
The Danmoto is junk (I've seen a lot of fitment and quality issues). The V&H comp is also junk and poorly designed IMO. I had one and the coating wore off and the pipe scraped at even minimal right hand turns. I understand that pipe is designed for drag bikes only, but how hard is it to design the pipe at a slightly different angle to not scrape on basic right hand turns.

IMO it's either Akrapovic or Fitzgerald. I personally went with the Akra just because I love the look and I've had Akra exhaust on my previous bike. The quality and attention to detail is outstanding. I review it here:

Pipe is outstanding. Rear mount not so much. The hard mount transfers vibes into the bike and since I don't need all the Muscle foot peg crap I came up with an isolation rubber mount.. The pipe is also going to be a challenge to tune, even with the TT you are planning. Lots of reversion spots where you need to bend the rules in tuning sometimes. Your PCV didn't use sensors so they could not skew with the open loop tune cal in the PCV.
Ron
I thought the Akra's already came with their loudest / most free flowing baffle? That was my understanding from RBabos. I can measure the OD of those two sections, but I aint taking this thing off anytime soon to measure the ID lol.
Just measure the outlet of the pipe ant the cap. Compare that to the pics I sent and measure the length with a tape measure from the end. Mine came with the standard loud baffle.
Ron

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Funny ! yea don't take it off to measure jfisher O.D. is fine -! I'm thinking 1.75" head pipe, 2.25" mid pipe to muffler ? Great mount Ron ! I had to use the original V Rod muffler mount for my Bub7 - the mounts quite heavy but its a rubber mounted slider very secure, up to the task of holding a long 24" steel muffler. BTW what is the outlet diameter of your loud baffle and does exhaust exit those small holes around the baffle ? Thanks -

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Funny ! yea don't take it off to measure jfisher O.D. is fine -! I'm thinking 1.75" head pipe, 2.25" mid pipe to muffler ? Great mount Ron ! I had to use the original V Rod muffler mount for my Bub7 - the mounts quite heavy but its a rubber mounted slider very secure, up to the task of holding a long 24" steel muffler. BTW what is the outlet diameter of your loud baffle and does exhaust exit those small holes around the baffle ? Thanks -
36mm on the small end and 43mm big end. It's 72mm long is the standard baffle. Resembles a venturi to some extent. Exit is center only.
Ron

·
Registered
289 Posts
Head tubes are 51-52mm OD so 1.75" ID is probably right. Mid pipe to muffler is just over 60mm so I also think you're 2.25" ID is accurate.

@rbabos The outlet of the baffle on my Akrapovic is 44mm

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Head tubes are 51-52mm OD so 1.75" ID is probably right. Mid pipe to muffler is just over 60mm so I also think you're 2.25" ID is accurate.

@rbabos The outlet of the baffle on my Akrapovic is 44mm View attachment 603845 View attachment 603847 View attachment 603848 View attachment 603849
We going to argue over a mill spec tube over 1mm? The inside part you can't see is 36mm. Standard baffle has two diameters which is what you have.. The TUV103 quiet baffle an option, is 36mm straight through and about 5 3/4" long.
Ron

·
Registered
289 Posts
We going to argue over a mill spec tube over 1mm? The inside part you can't see is 36mm. Standard baffle has two diameters which is what you have.. The TUV103 quiet baffle an option, is 36mm straight through and about 5 3/4" long.
Ron
Didn’t mean for it to come off as argumentative. Apologize if it did come of that way. I just wasn’t sure if the different inserts had very small differences. So I have the loudest baffle, correct?

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Didn’t mean for it to come off as argumentative. Apologize if it did come of that way. I just wasn’t sure if the different inserts had very small differences. So I have the loudest baffle, correct?
I was joking. I have an odd sense of humor that doesn't come across in print, I guess. Sorry about that. Yes, you have the standard loud baffle. Somewhere in the forum I took a picture of all three possibles of these baffles and sizes. Hard to search on this site or I would have reposted it. Oh wait, found it on my computer, at least the pics of them. The one in the middle is the optional DB Killer TUV-103 which many of us run. The one on the left , standard, which scares women and children. The one on the right is the Yamaha TUV-104. This would be good if trying to sneak out of the garage at 3am and not wake the neighborhood up. My view, too restrictive to be practical. It is not offered by Akro for this pipe but is a direct fit. Sound wise, there is quite a difference between the standard baffle and the db killer.
Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
I was joking. I have an odd sense of humor that doesn't come across in print, I guess. Sorry about that. Yes, you have the standard loud baffle. Somewhere in the forum I took a picture of all three possibles of these baffles and sizes. Hard to search on this site or I would have reposted it. Oh wait, found it on my computer, at least the pics of them. The one in the middle is the optional DB Killer TUV-103 which many of us run. The one on the left , standard, which scares women and children. The one on the right is the Yamaha TUV-104. This would be good if trying to sneak out of the garage at 3am and not wake the neighborhood up. My view, too restrictive to be practical. It is not offered by Akro for this pipe but is a direct fit. Sound wise, there is quite a difference between the standard baffle and the db killer.
Ron
Awesome pic, thank you for sharing that!

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
The Akro website claims + 2.9Kw and 2.4 Nm which is about 3.87 Hp and 1.78 Ft/lb using 125 Hp and 85 ft/lb as a base 1250cc stock power rating. That's about a 3% and 2 % increase respectively, not impressive for a $ 1000+ pipe. IMHO there's more power to be had from that pretty SS & Ti pipe - the head pipes are 1.75" that's great, the mid pipe 2.25" I'd prefer 2.5 " but that'll probably work fine so it's the small 44 mm 1.75" single outlet that's holding back its power potential. The stock 2-1-2 OEM H-D pipe has two muffler outlets about that size, and it actually flows pretty well ( but is WAY too long & heavy, the Akro solves that ). SO -I've always wanted to buy an Akro and install a 20-24" long, 2.5 " I.D. baffled Ti muffler that ends in a 3.5 " outlet like my Bub7 pipe ( or like a V&H " Pro Pipe" for the big V Twins) or fit the mid pipe with an up sweep "U " into a set of two stacked 44mm outlet mufflers to see how much more power that pipe would produce, while being tolerable noise wise. It's snubbed down to keep the noise down, I guarantee it - and it has to be for such a short muffler to be tolerable, see V&H open end Comp pipe, its LOUD. Generally the longer the muffler is the larger the baffle diameter can be ( while still putting out max exhaust flow & power ) but still keeping noise in control. Only the Super Trapp V Rod muffler gets away with short and not too loud using the disc side exit and the straight thru exit capped, but that's another story. So anyway, if one of you guys would go spend another $ 850 on that beautiful double carbon can muffler I saw on e bay, clamp or weld it up and let me know how much more power that beautiful Akro pipes got in it - you'll make my dream come true !! Hey with CV19 we got the time, anyone got the money ? (y) :D

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
The Akro website claims + 2.9Kw and 2.4 Nm which is about 3.87 Hp and 1.78 Ft/lb using 125 Hp and 85 ft/lb as a base 1250cc stock power rating. That's about a 3% and 2 % increase respectively, not impressive for a $ 1000+ pipe. IMHO there's more power to be had from that pretty SS & Ti pipe - the head pipes are 1.75" that's great, the mid pipe 2.25" I'd prefer 2.5 " but that'll probably work fine so it's the small 44 mm 1.75" single outlet that's holding back its power potential. The stock 2-1-2 OEM H-D pipe has two muffler outlets about that size, and it actually flows pretty well ( but is WAY too long & heavy, the Akro solves that ). SO -I've always wanted to buy an Akro and install a 20-24" long, 2.5 " I.D. baffled Ti muffler that ends in a 3.5 " outlet like my Bub7 pipe ( or like a V&H " Pro Pipe" for the big V Twins) or fit the mid pipe with an up sweep "U " into a set of two stacked 44mm outlet mufflers to see how much more power that pipe would produce, while being tolerable noise wise. It's snubbed down to keep the noise down, I guarantee it - and it has to be for such a short muffler to be tolerable, see V&H open end Comp pipe, its LOUD. Generally the longer the muffler is the larger the baffle diameter can be ( while still putting out max exhaust flow & power ) but still keeping noise in control. Only the Super Trapp V Rod muffler gets away with short and not too loud using the disc side exit and the straight thru exit capped, but that's another story. So anyway, if one of you guys would go spend another $ 850 on that beautiful double carbon can muffler I saw on e bay, clamp or weld it up and let me know how much more power that beautiful Akro pipes got in it - you'll make my dream come true !! Hey with CV19 we got the time, anyone got the money ? (y) :D
If you take the end cap and baffle out, that hole is as big as the collector or bigger. Don't think you could stand the noise but I've heard of some that run it that way. I agree, the longer muffler would likely increase hp and keep the noise at a tolerable level.
Ron

1 - 20 of 42 Posts