Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2003-and because I can not ride (too cold in WI)-I am getting a custom paint job done (will post pictures as soon as get done), and I am looking for some advice on the exhaust. I would like to keep the look of the stock pipes, and after reading many threads have decided to either v mod stock or get SE and v mod. Any suggestions or comments that could help me decide (I listened to vid's and hard to tell big difference)

Also looking for so help on what to do after get pipes installed-can I go with standard flash from HD dealer-don't really think I need power commander or race tuner for my use, but do not want to have flat spots or other issues--just want it to run smooth. Thanks in advance for the help!!

Todd

2003 soon to be custom v rod

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
:vrodforu: I'll let the rest of the Gang take it from here! :kaz:

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Mod your stock pipes with V-Mod, buy a K&N air filter and PCIIIr from V-Mod as well (have Chopper Steve load the map for that configuration. All for about $500). In one fell swoop you're ready to rock and roll. Oh, and don't allow yourself to get anal over couple of horsepower -- just enjoy the bike!!! :2cents:

If at some point you want to quicker at the git go, slap on 28T from TurboTech.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Todd V-mod the stock pipes if they are too loud for your taste get the se and mod them,the stock pipes will sell here with no problem. Install the se filter along with a pcr3 and the -20map. This will keep the stock look plus get some more hp and better sound.
Good luck Greg

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Todd,
you can get the power commander from ebay $259.99 new.around $200 used.
then get the k&n air filter.You can find stock mufflers on ebay.Buy them and have them shipped to Chopper Steve,you'll save on shipping that way. :vrodforu:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Here's your options:

Option 1: Good (cheapest route) ~$400
V-Mod stock pipes $150
SE Air Filter $60
SE Slip-on flash $150 + labor (dealer installed only) OR Techlusion $150 self installed

Option 2: Top Shelf setup ~$1100
V-Mod SE pipes $125 + cost of SE pipes (~$450)
SE Air Filter $60
Topless $0 (remove the airbox cover)
28T pulley $220 (Hd kit or Turbotec)
EITHER:
SE Flash for Slip-ons ('04 version) $150 + labor
Techlusion Box ~$150 (to compensate for lean condition with V-Mod SE's)
OR
PCIIIr ~$300 (Speedometer NOT Corrected for 28T)
OR
Race Tuner $350 (group buy on now) (Speedometer Corrected for 28T)
RT map in EFI section for this combo

These are just 2 of the dozens of potential combinations that work on our bikes.

Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Either way V-mod'ing rules (when wanting to keep the stock look). The sound will always gain attention, no matter where you fire her up. Like a great guitar through a killer tube amp - it cuts right throught all the other noise !

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
Following thread closely. One question: What difference is there if you vmod stock pipes over SE pipes. I cant imagine much difference in constructoin AFTER the baffels are removed. I guess thats the question- whats the difference in construction between stock and SE?
16 ga doesnt count, since it is entirly different.....
Sam

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
You're with "experts" here.

What they just said! I agree, the stock look is awesome.

But try the 28t at least :lick: . Give yourself this chance.
Option 1 if simplicity is important, it will run very well ;) .
Option 2 is better, more than just a couple of ponies :sinister: .
If your anus :moon: is getting involved in this leave it stock, don't even paint it.

For a more custom look try the aftermarket pipes. Get something that looks best to you and does not rob power. I agree also that restarting a discussion of power and pipes is a pissing contest and a cool one at that. Search the forum if you're so inclined.

The flash is simple and will work.
The PCIII is very cool, more power.
The RT is cool and fun, even more power, but can be very complex.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts