Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My R is a European model. The French slightly detune the engines because of their max motorcycle horsepower regulations. Additionally, I think there is a converter in the system since you could cook an entire dinner for 6 on the exhaust system. It can take your leg from rare to well done in mere moments. I have found a good price on a Vance and Hines System and I think I will make that my winter project.
My question is, Is it necessary to get a box to remap the FCU immediately upon changing to the V and H ? I assume the change will make the engine run lean, but will it be so lean as to cause damage or other problems?
I would appreciate any advise regarding the change out. These things are always more difficult then advertised and French shop raters are prohibitive.
Thanx
Ed

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The the heat from the exhaust is amazing and will catch your pants on fire, literally. Make sure your bike has the recall / technical service bulletin done that adds a heat shield.

The stock tuning is lean, so any modifications to the exhaust for more flow will make it leaner. Therefore, you should plan on a tuner.

Does the government inspect for aftermarket fuel controllers or other devices in France? If so, you may need to get a Mastertune or SERT to remap the original ECM (FCU).

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I think you might have smaller thottle bodies on your bike than US spec bikes have, and smaller diameter velocity stacks as well. I know the 2007 V-Rod manual shows these for a "105 hp" version of the V-Rod, but does not specify which nation(s) was(were) afflicted with the detuned version. I imagine you could obtain the larger US spec TB's, velocity stacks and a new map for the ECM and have real horsepower.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I'd suggest you make sure the V&H has bungs for O2 sensors. Then pick up a Thunder Max from the classifieds on the Forum. It will be the biggest bank for the Euro and will handle any future upgrades. Install is too easy... check Forum for videos.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I believe it is just reshaped velocity stacks, a cat converter and a different state of tune in the ECM. To make the 105hp version. To make the more powerful version you need the US spec velocity stacks and an exhaust without the cat in it. Once you do that you will need to re-tune to the new components anyway so that takes care of the lousy 105hp tune.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
what are the specs of the French velocity stacks as compared to the USA models?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I checked the parts book:
The velocity stacks are different for international use (HDI) and listed as 105H.P. They narrow toward the top.
The ECM is the same part number, but listed as 120/105 H.P. (DOM/HDI) with a note that it requires digital tech programing.
The third volume, or mid pipe is also different (listed as Auxiliary Volume).

The ECM retune would be the hardest thing to get, since I doubt any of the dealers would do it for you for fear of getting in trouble.

I plan to use a SERT for the project bike and have the stock ECM sitting in a box. Maybe a trade would fix your power shortage. I'll have to check the third volume from the project to see if it was damaged, but I think it may be okay.

If shipping stuff your way, I could also pick up the stacks locally. PM me if interested. Using all US spec parts would give you more power in stock looking package.

Oh, on the rest of your questions:
Yes, you will need to retune for the V&H pipes. Too lean = too much heat that leads to pre-detonation and could cause significant engine damage. If the cooling system can handle the extra heat, the bad stuff will be delayed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts