Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Which V-mod exhaust do you prefer for both sound quality and performance?

• Stock V-Rod mufflers (make no changes)

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Stock SE Slip-on's

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Classic V-mod

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • SE V-mod

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Other (prefer a complete exhaust system change)

Votes: 26 31.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Live Free or Die
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This discussion originally started on the old forum, I thought that I would resurrect it for the newer newbies (since I am still a newbie myself).

After waiting a longtime, my dealer finally told me that my SE slip-on's were on backorder (no availability date) with the Mo. I got Hale's to ship me a set in time for the weekend. Although I'm staring out the window at heavy rain -- tomorrow I should be able to get 125 miles on all kinds of roads. What little riding I got in last night after work, shows me that these Stock SE Slip-on's sound great!. What a difference! :)

I packaged up the stock units and on Monday morning they go out to be V-mod'd. I'll compare the two after the V-mods come back.

You guys had some informative comments about exhaust sound and performance, so I thought that I would put up a poll and get some of those comments onto this new forum.

Unfortunately the poll maxes out at 5 choices, so I only include the V-mod vs. stock options here. We can start another poll for the more popular full exhaust systems if this group has opinions about that type of product.

Please post your comments and tell us why...

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
SE 16 Ga

There are two different types of the SE slip ons as I'm sure you know.. the ones that appear stock with the "sweeping" style, and the 16Ga Dbl Barrel style. Both use the stock head pipes.

I had the SE 16 Ga installed even before I had my bike delivered. I ran them happily for about 2000 mikes. Then Steve at MainStreet Motorcycles agreed to V-Mod my baffles in exchange for my unused stock pipes. What a difference! I ride with a buddy who has a Texas Chopper. I use to not be able to hear my bike when riding with him! I can now!

Mike

·
Registered
601 Posts
It is my understanding, talking to a few guys who run the mobile dyno's, that H-D has done a very good job designing the SE's and the reprogram for the injectors. I was told if you go with a more open exhaust you can loose low end torque and HP in addition you'll have to fool with a power commander or some other form of fuel management system. Back when these things came out if the exhaust was too open you'd burn your back exhaust valve.

I went with the SE slip-ons and have been very happy with them, after 7000 miles it does have a nice rumble.

Dave

·
Registered
172 Posts
The SE slip ons (not the 16Ga) work great for me, just enough rumble to let people know your around but they won't wake up the neighborhood to announce your presence.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I'm into performance and NONE OF THOSE PIPES YOU PUT UP WILL SUPPORT THE KINDA OF POWER I'M INTO!For big power you just can't beat a 2 into 1 system for Our V-rods.There are 3 or 4 out there.I run Sam's Turbo Tec USA Equal length race system now.I had SuperTrapps before and was really happy with them in NA Trim!:cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
I put 3K on the stock exhaust, 5K on the SE slipons, and now have 1K on the VMODed SE Slipons. The SE pipes are great, but did not have enough bark. The VMODs are even better, not obnoxious, but loud enough to growl under acceleration. When cruising it's a nice deep rumble.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
You don't wear SHORTS,and your very careful!;) I put my feet on the rear pegs so I'm pretty safe in that position.For everyday driving I would just run the SUPERTRAPP's!:diablo:

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
Someone should copy across the analysis MonsterMaxx did on the other forum. I can't find it now for some reason. It was very concise.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am interested in buying some Screamin' Eagle pipes. A couple of you guys mentioned you had SE pipes and if any of you don't use them any more I would be interested in buying them. Email me ([email protected]) with a price if you are interested to sell.

Thanks,

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
17 votes so far and not a single stock exhaust, It should be an option to buy them with no exhaust at all and require an exhaust install before delivery.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I installed the D&D 2into1 system. They are pretty loud but did increase my acceleration some. I can now slowly pull away from my neighbor's 1800 VTX. It did not, in my opinion, add the amount of hp claimed by D&D on thier dyno sheet (not that I expected that). However, I haven't been able to test it yet as I promised on another thread. I hope to be able to soon, but will wait until I've installed the 28 tooth pulley and the RT program for the setup. Then I can tune some for the specific setup.

I have another neighbor that has the SE 16 Gauge and they are nice also. Quite a bit quieter than mine.

·
DX Rider
630 Posts
djoyce said:
The SE slip ons (not the 16Ga) work great for me, just enough rumble to let people know your around but they won't wake up the neighborhood to announce your presence.
Yep, these are my preference after looking (and hearing) around.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've got modded 16ga and they are nice, yea, I'm dragging them hard, but I'm dragging the rest of the bike on the ground too - they aren't limiting me much.

If HD hadn't made the stockers two pieces (with the huge gap) they would be the best looking of the bunch.

Makin HP begins with a 2 into 1, or so everyone says (I believe they are correct.) Though I've yet to see one that's pratical and attractive. Sorry to have to say this Kaz, but I want it to look good first, and perform second.

From all the research I've done on this subject the 16ga make the most power in the attractive (very subjective) catagory.

Mine are way too freekin loud. Fun around town, but on a trip they drive me nutz - just gets on your nerves.

·
Registered
61 Posts
V-Mod SE Slip-on's

V-Mod SE Slip-on's are the best.

They sound best and performance of the bike is great.

With the SE filter, PC3R and the 28 G change, the bike is almost as fast as my new 2004 Yamaha R-1.

This is the way to go.

Hope it helps.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Tim SE's are the Harley Davidson screaming eagle pipe. To get them v-modded you have to send them to chopper steve at v-mod.com and he will de-baffle them for a small fee.

Max

·
Registered
109 Posts
Max said:
Tim SE's are the Harley Davidson screaming eagle pipe. To get them v-modded you have to send them to chopper steve at v-mod.com and he will de-baffle them for a small fee.

Max
thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bruzer said:
I am interested in buying some Screamin' Eagle pipes. A couple of you guys mentioned you had SE pipes and if any of you don't use them any more I would be interested in buying them. Email me ([email protected]) with a price if you are interested to sell.

Thanks,
Bruzer, I noticed that you had the Great Lakes Superior Tour logo on your mail. Where you on the tour? Where you riding the V-rod?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Max said:
17 votes so far and not a single stock exhaust, It should be an option to buy them with no exhaust at all and require an exhaust install before delivery.
Unfortunately, Harley can't do that. Harley-Davidson is required by law to certify that their stock exhaust meets federal and state noise regulations.

If you look at the SEs (either one) in the catalog, they state that they are for racing purposes only and should not be ran on the street. They state this so if you are ever pulled over for making too much noise, their not liable unless you are running stock pipes.

-Bry

1 - 20 of 25 Posts