Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everybody,

I have a problem with my Vance and Hines Exhaust.

It is getting pretty frustrating.

I have horrible popping on decel.

I have tried tons of maps, working with Spaz.

The maps seem to work fine with other people's bikes, but not mine.

No matter what I do with the map it continues to pop, BAD.

Spaz mentioned I might have an exhaust leak, I found where I think the leak is, where the center pipe conects to the muffler.

I can feel the exhaust coming out there.

However, no matter what I do, I can't stop it.

Could this be a defect?

I have already had to return one exhaust to Vance and Hines, because the first one I got was manufactured with a sizeable dent in the muffler heat shield.

Could this tiny leak cause this ridiculous amount of popping?

I tightened the clamp down at the muffler / center pipe point, little by little, checking whether the leak stopped, it never did, I even tightened the clamp until the bolt snapped in half, so I get to replace THAT now.

On a scale from one to 10, it pops about a 9, loud and exceptionally often.

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated, thanks.

Morf

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
i would ask one of the guys in the EFI forum to look at your map.. tell them it is decel popping, send them a copy and they can fix your decel pop problem... there are several guys that are good enough with the pcIII to fix the issue...

just take a mental note as to what rpms the bike pops... for example If you are riding at 6k rpms and let off the throttle, the bike will begin to decel but may not actually pop until 4500 rpms, then it may clear up and start popping again at 3k. Just let them know what rpms you are having issues at and they can adjust your 0% throttle mixture to compensate.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
if you have the original exhaust you could put them on and see if the popping continues, then you would at least know it's the exhaust or not.

with all the maps you have used has it gotten better or worse?

sorry I couldn't be anymore help than that.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
edit...

definitely get that leak fixed first...then get with spaz again or myself if need be and we can look at your map for you.

if spaz hasnt been able to quickly adjust it then it definitely has a leak, which you admitted. Is there someone else that you can have look at it and offer suggestions.. sometimes the answer is right there but it just takes a fresh set of eyes to see it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Changing the map hasn't made a noticeable difference that I can tell.

It pops at all RPMs, it doesn't matter what RPM I am at, it will pop.

I guess you could say it is worse at higher RPMs, louder, I wouldn't say it pops "more often" or anything.

Confusing, I know.

Morf

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
morf said:
Changing the map hasn't made a noticeable difference that I can tell.

It pops at all RPMs, it doesn't matter what RPM I am at, it will pop.

I guess you could say it is worse at higher RPMs, louder, I wouldn't say it pops "more often" or anything.

Confusing, I know.

Morf
have you planned ay of the events in the near future? for example the rockingham AHDRA event next weekend? If you had planned on bringing the bike out, I am sure any of us would be glad to take a look at it and offer some suggestions to fix that leak.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lakedrunk said:
I tried finding some info for you, but had no luck. I did find this thread...
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75581&highlight=exhaust+leak

edit: actually on that thread the third post might be something to try :hmm:
Thanks for the head's up, I read through it, sounds like the same problem I have.

I do have a little bit of black soot showing around the clamp, but I tried tightening it down all the way until I did break the bolt off.

I will try and find a stronger clamp, and some high temp sealer.

Stay tuned, I will try and get it worked out this week.

Unfortunately, I will be traveling alot over the next few months, for work, so I am not sure what events I will be able to make, I am trying to get to the Dragon Rally, in late October.

Morf

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Have you set the zero throttle posiiton on the PC3 while it is hooked to the bike?

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
i didnt read that link, however I am having an issue with my clamp not getting tight enough, and my pipes keep sliding off the header about 1/4" and I keep having to re set my pipes every time I ride. I tired the gasket sealer and it didnt solve my problem. I just found out that the bolt (which is a high grade bolt ex. grade 10) doesnt thread all the way down. It may be that both of us arent getting the clamp tight enough because of the lack of threads. I am going to buy a bolt tonight and replace that so I can get a little more *umph* on that clamp. If that doesnt work I will try something else.

it may be something for you to look into as well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine is actually the muffler slipping of the mid-pipe, I think.

Spaz, I set the zero throttle position, like the Dyna-jet site says, it didn't seem to make much difference either.

The guys at the harley shop actually told me that they do not think they could fix it. They actually said:

"Those crazy V-Rods are too finikey about that electronic fuel stuff".

That didn't really inspire confidence in me, I don't think I am going to let them touch the tuning.

Morf

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Try the map I posted in the other thread and see if it makes a difference.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
morf said:
Mine is actually the muffler slipping of the mid-pipe, I think.

Spaz, I set the zero throttle position, like the Dyna-jet site says, it didn't seem to make much difference either.

The guys at the harley shop actually told me that they do not think they could fix it. They actually said:

"Those crazy V-Rods are too finikey about that electronic fuel stuff".

That didn't really inspire confidence in me, I don't think I am going to let them touch the tuning.

Morf
i understand that is is adifferent location, however the issue is still the same.. the pipes are most likely not getting tight enough due to the clamp

·
'06 night rod
567 Posts
hey... I had the same leak. After tightening the clamp harder and harder, I finally realized the clamp had stretched a little and could not be tightened enough to stop the leak. I almost made a shim from an aluminum can, but opted to replace it with a new clamp and it worked! I have a night rod, with a separate clamp for each pipe, not the figure 8 clamp... I no longer have the leak, but I do still have popping. I kinda like it now! Good luck in your quest!

·
Registered
497 Posts
When the pipes are hot you can torque the clamp more than when cold. Wich way are you doing it?

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
yzfguy said:
hey... I have a night rod, with a separate clamp for each pipe, not the figure 8 clamp... I no longer have the leak, but I do still have popping. I kinda like it now! Good luck in your quest!
Can you give the specs on the two clamps you got and where you got them from? Sounds like that could solve a few people's issues.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
NightMare said:
Can you give the specs on the two clamps you got and where you got them from? Sounds like that could solve a few people's issues.
+1

i had been thinking 2 clamps would be a possible fix, but had no idea where to look for a single clamp in that diameter that would be strong enough

·
'06 night rod
567 Posts
I actually bought a set of stock pipes from a member on here, then shipped them out to v-mod, so I used the clamps that came with the "new" stockers. I had been messing around taking the original ones on and off a few times before I settled on the v-mods, so I am relatively sure I had stretched them just a little from tightening them pretty much as hard as I could each time I put them back on.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
I'm not I'm understanding where the two clamps came from though. Are you talking about the ones that hold the cans to the 3rd volume on the side away from the headers? Are those the ones you used instead of the fig-8 or am I way off? :confused: :helpme:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts