Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been battling with an exhaust leak since I first brought the bike home. The leak is at the front cylinder header where it joins the right side exhaust pipe (right behind the radiator fan). The old clamp couldn't be clamped down tight enough. Got a new clamp (with a longer bolt), wrapped some exhaust tape over the area...and it held for a year or so. But alas...the fukkin leak is BACK!

Any solutions on this??? Does high-temp RTV actually work in these situations?

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,228 Posts
I've been battling with an exhaust leak since I first brought the bike home. The leak is at the front cylinder header where it joins the right side exhaust pipe (right behind the radiator fan). The old clamp couldn't be clamped down tight enough. Got a new clamp (with a longer bolt), wrapped some exhaust tape over the area...and it held for a year or so. But alas...the fukkin leak is BACK!

Any solutions on this??? Does high-temp RTV actually work in these situations?

Thanks in advance.
Are you talking about the balance tube between the left and right exhaust or the right head pipe connection to the head?
Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The balance tube. Upon some more research, there is supposed to be some sort of crossover seal in place there (soft metal composite sleeve) that mine is missing. Part # 66813-09.

Trying to find a place that has it in stock...or come up with an alternate solution.
608423
608424
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,228 Posts
The balance tube. Upon some more research, there is supposed to be some sort of crossover seal in place there (soft metal composite sleeve) that mine is missing. Part # 66813-09.

Trying to find a place that has it in stock...or come up with an alternate solution.
View attachment 608423 View attachment 608424
Yup. It will leak like a bitch without that in there. Too much gap for high temp silicone. Fiberglass cloth wrap or a sleeve made up out of header wrap might work. It's best to wait and get the real deal though. Too much pissing around to do it twice.
Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might need to expand the pipe now if you over crushed it attempting to stop the leak. Seal might not fit now. Keep that in mind.
Ron
Yah...I figured I might have to expand the pipe a bit to get things to fit properly. Thanks for the reminder/heads up, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MOTHERFUKKER!
Just took a look at what I have to do to get that insert in there. Gotta remove HALF THE EXHAUST! Seems as though taking off the front pipe (left side exhaust) will be my best/easiest bet. Anyone have experience with this that can offer some helpful tips? Thought this was going to be a 30 minute job in the driveway...NOPE!
 

·
VRSC est -03
Joined
·
3,092 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got this done over the weekend. Overall...not too bad. Removed the left side exhaust. While the right side was still bolted on, I widened (flared) the female end of the crossover tube to allow the new insert to go in smoothly and then allow the male end of the left exhaust to slide in. And here, if I planned ahead, would have saved a bit of aggravation. I had difficulty aligning the crossover tube with the right side still bolted on so I just loosened it (removed the bolts from the footrest bracket and loosened the nuts holding the header into the cylinder). This gave me enough wiggle room to allow the crossover tube to mate correctly and align the left side exhaust header (front) properly. I then snugged everything up...and realized I forgot to place the clamp on. This is where, had I planned ahead and while the pieces were separate, I could have EASILY placed the clamp on the right side exhaust where it would have patiently waited for me to get everything in place and then finally place it in the proper location and tighten it.

But...that is not what I did. So, for the next hour I had a forceful yet mostly peaceful coercive discussion with the aforementioned exhaust clamp. I was able to spread it open enough to get it over the left side exhaust. That wasn't the most difficult part. The difficulty came in trying to slide it over the the right side exhaust...over my previously flared side of the crossover tube. After some scraped knuckles (hey - you're not really working on a motor unless you scrape up some knuckles) and several combinations of squeezing with my channel lock pliers and leveraging angles, etc., I got the clamp on and tightened it down. Finished tightening everything else and was good to go.

Honestly, removal of the exhaust wasn't too bad. Combination of wrench, ratcheting wrench, and sockets got the header pipes off.

Hope this helps someone who might have to get into this.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top