Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My exhaust has been getting loose over time for awhile. Every so often I've gotta loosen the figure 8 clamp and kick or hit with rubber mallet to get the third volume back on the header pipes. Yesterday I took a ride and the third volume came all the way off of the header pipe.

You figure the figure 8 clamp is shot? Where would I order another one of them? I did a quick google search and didn't find any.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I tired that one with the cops one he didnt belive me.

THe figure8 clamp uses a torque to yeild bolt. One time torque and then it looses its clamping ablity. So my guess would be new figure 8 clamp. I think the book says something about replaceing the bolt and not to reuse it.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
My exhaust has been getting loose over time for awhile. Every so often I've gotta loosen the figure 8 clamp and kick or hit with rubber mallet to get the third volume back on the header pipes. Yesterday I took a ride and the third volume came all the way off of the header pipe.

You figure the figure 8 clamp is shot? Where would I order another one of them? I did a quick google search and didn't find any.
im sure hd dealers still sell vrod parts.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im sure hd dealers still sell vrod parts.
Yeah, I figured they would be way overpriced! I stopped by our local dealer today and ordered a new clamp anyway. $46 bucks.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
It's not the figure 8 clamp. The problem is the little 'L' shaped piece and the 13mm bolt on the bottom. That sucker has to be lined up right and tight. I messed with the 8 clamp over and over, and once I had that L thing right, it never happened again.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Yeah, I figured they would be way overpriced! I stopped by our local dealer today and ordered a new clamp anyway. $46 bucks.
let me dig through my box'o-parts in the garage and see if I have an extra figure 8 and needed fasteners for it.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
i just give one to ncvrodracer a few months back. i'll see if he really needs it.if he doen't need it you can have it. as far as it being a one time use, i call bullshit. i had mine off and on several times and it never failed................

·
George
5,411 Posts
as far as it being a one time use, i call bullshit. i had mine off and on several times and it never failed................
+1... what Robbie said.... BULLSHIT!

Now I have to admit to forgetting to tighten the frigging thing once and it fell off!

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
It is the bolt, not the clamp. Any hardware store will sell a replacement bolt and nut. Vic, Save the 46! I have replaced the bolt several times, and works great. Joe

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Have a look at the diagram. The rear pipes and 3rd volume are bolted together basically through part #14. That long bar at the bottom. It is rubber mounted, but that whole assembly can slide back and forth through the rubber. Part #25 has a "hook" and an elongated hole that if positioned correctly and tight, will bump up against #21 and not let anything slide.

You can crank that figure 8 clamp all you want, it aint gonna hold a 50 lb exhaust in place.

Try it and see if I am wrong. I bet your #25 is bent or on upside down (if ever removed by a dealer...:hidesbeh:)

Attachments

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the offers for spare 8 clamps. But I went ahead and ordered a new one. But apparently now I'll have a spare that just needs a new bolt, if anyone needs one.

·
Registered
684 Posts

say vic all you need is a real hammer six pack of beer and wire and you are good to go.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Have a look at the diagram. The rear pipes and 3rd volume are bolted together basically through part #14. That long bar at the bottom. It is rubber mounted, but that whole assembly can slide back and forth through the rubber. Part #25 has a "hook" and an elongated hole that if positioned correctly and tight, will bump up against #21 and not let anything slide.

You can crank that figure 8 clamp all you want, it aint gonna hold a 50 lb exhaust in place.

Try it and see if I am wrong. I bet your #25 is bent or on upside down (if ever removed by a dealer...:hidesbeh:)
You got it nailed. I had the same problem of the exhaust sliding backward because of the exhaust pressure on the pipes. Once Part #25 is correctly installed this movement of the pipes does not happen. It is the critical link in this chain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts