Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
05 Blue VRSCSE Owner
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my new Rinehart staggered 2-2's, and they sound great. However, I had a little trouble installing them, and I wanted to make sure they're good to go before putting miles on them.

When installing them, I replaced the exhaust gaskets with new ones. They fit in the head pretty well. But, when I was installing the exhaust to the head, I noticed the pipes didn't go fully into the head. Also, when tightning the bolts, the flange does not butt up to the head. (You're only supposed to torque these nuts to like 14 ft-lbs, and I probably torqued them to 30 ft-lbs to make sure they weren't leaking).

My question is, is the flange supposed to butt up to the head? Will I hurt the head if I over-torqued the bolts? I feel no leaks at idle around the heads, so that makes me think I'm good. I know those gaskets in there are probably squished pretty good. I thought the exhaust would enter the head smooth as butter, but not so much. What do you guys think? Thanks for the response in advance.:stilpoke:

·
enigmas
340 Posts
D_mac05, I have a VRSCA 04 that I've had apart quite a lot repairing fire damage. It still has the original HD exhaust system ( no longer chrome but now jet hot ceramic coated).

I've had the system off a number of times and do not use any gaskets but just use a smear of high temp silicone where it enters the port. This works fine on my bike. It doesn't leak or cause any problems. I do the exhaust stud nuts up moderately firm, that's it. It also comes apart very easily. I use a copper based grease (copper-eze) an anti-seize compound on the threads.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
The exhaust doughnuts are thick and keep the flange away from the head when new.They will compress over time and this ios why the flanges need attention during every 5k service.

·
Just a big ole Doof
919 Posts
It sounds as though you have everything installed correctly. You will need to do a re-torque after the pipes have been brought up to operating temperature and then cooled down.

·
05 Blue VRSCSE Owner
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gents,

Thanks for the help. BTW, the rinehart 2-2's sound awesome, almost too loud for my likening, so I'm waiting on my "Stealth" baffles to arrive. Thanks again for the reassurance. This board is awesome!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts