Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In light of this summers abnormal heat (in the north east, anyway) does anyone find that the turbo heat just makes it way too uncomfortable to ride? My turbo has exhaust outlet towards the front. I purposely chose that layout to avoid heat issues and to maintain the placement of the passenger pegs, but the heat is still uncomfortable on really hot days. I mean it feels like my foot is on fire. I can't imagine what it's like with the exhaust pipe running inches from the inside of your thigh (as in the Trask layout). Any feed back?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
F'ing Hot, especially since the humidity has been really bad too. I don't complain though, a lot of guys are running them in AZ & TX which is hella hotter than the NEast.

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
When its too hot, I don't ride. It's not fun.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I'm the opposite...when its below about 50 I don't ride! No upper limit on that. Then again I'm from Texas and you're from New Jersey...so it makes sense, I reckon.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What turbo setup is that?
Home made. 50 trim, .48 AR, T3 housing, 2.5" downpipe......most parts from Ebay some parts from Pep Boys...fabricated in my driveway w/ a $300.00 MIG welder. Total cost including welder: $1100.00. Felt like my hands were going to get ripped off the bars the first time I got on it.

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
As far as the pipe inside the thigh,Stop lights is the worst place for me, but its not so bad that it doesnt make me not want to ride. Just have to move leg out alittle while stopped but i could see a problem w/someone that has shorter legs. Otherwise i dont think its bad at all down the road. Its definatley not shorts friendly either.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Home made. 50 trim, .48 AR, T3 housing, 2.5" downpipe......most parts from Ebay some parts from Pep Boys...fabricated in my driveway w/ a $300.00 MIG welder. Total cost including welder: $1100.00. Felt like my hands were going to get ripped off the bars the first time I got on it.
Awesome. That's the kind of stuff I like to see. I'm just trolling right now looking for what items I want to shamelessly rip off of other peoples setups when I build mine :) Hell of a nice build you've done!

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Being that I'm across the ocean and don't take delivery of my F until November I have no way to answer my question without asking: Under the airbox cover would it be possible to mount an intercooler where the cut out "vents" could be ducted to the intercooler and vented out the bottom? Your install looks very clean, but doesn't look like it leaves a lot of room for an intercooler...unless you could mount it under the airbox cover...

I mean you could remove most of the air box stuff since its not needed anymore right?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Being that I'm across the ocean and don't take delivery of my F until November I have no way to answer my question without asking: Under the airbox cover would it be possible to mount an intercooler where the cut out "vents" could be ducted to the intercooler and vented out the bottom? Your install looks very clean, but doesn't look like it leaves a lot of room for an intercooler...unless you could mount it under the airbox cover...
There's a guy on the forum that did exactly that. He modified the top cover with scoops and put an intercooler under the cover. If you look all over this forum, you'll find a lot of different methods. Karzza has an amazing set up, though his intercooler is on the opposite side of the bike. When choosing a turbo set up, I think you have to seriously look at the type of riding you do. I cruise with my wife a lot. RPMs are usually around 3500. With my set up, if I go up a steep hill at 3500 in 5th with a passenger, I'll see about 3lbs of boost. I (almost) never test the upper rpm limits, but my waste gate is set at 11psi. I know a 1/4 mile run on a stock engine with 11 psi would probably be suicide, but I have no intention of running at a track, maybe just a second or two on a straight road. It's A LOT of fun!

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
I'm the opposite...when its below about 50 I don't ride! No upper limit on that. Then again I'm from Texas and you're from New Jersey...so it makes sense, I reckon.
Yea I wear alot of gear. Heat & High Humidity past 90* is no fun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have you considered having the exaust pipe thermal coated? it maintains a higher percentage of the heat in the pipe rather then radiating it on to your foot and leg, also they have some very nice looking finishes.

Regards,
Kent

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've 'branded' my calf more than once with my Trask. Trying a fabric style heat shield underneath the supplied metal heat shield. What have some of you done to reduce the heat?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just got back from a 150 mile ride yesterday and I think I need a skin graph on the side of my calf lol! I am only 5"8" and have the Trask setup. I was thinking about getting extensions for the pegs. Kick them out an inch or so. Does anyone know if this will help??? Any suggestions? Even though my leg was a little burnt, I was still riding with a smile. Nothing like a turbo on a v-rod!!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm 5'6" myself and use the reduced reach peg setup with Kuryagan 'mini wing' pegs. Sort of a triangular mini foot board. Allows me to shift my feet out-board a bit. My main problem is in cornering I lean off the bike a bit and tend to hug the bike with my outside leg. This is what gives me my burns.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts