Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick pic of my new SE exhaust.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They do look better (IMHO) than the stock DX cans. They have a really nice rumble through the entire RPM range. And they also have stamped into them "For Off Road Use Only". My next thing is to find a pinstripper to fill in the Scream'in Eagle logo with the color of the wheel stripe.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
That looks great, far better than the stock DX exhaust. Did you powdercoat it or paint it ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had the whole system Ceramic Coated. Only the shield screws are chromed. Thinking of putting on some chromed billet end caps to add some contrast to the rear of the mufflers.

·
Dean
775 Posts

·
riding Ocean
173 Posts
Now that IS nice!
Why they didn't choose this look over the beer cans is beyond logic..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ah I'm a jackass once I saw these I started looking for them and then reread the post where it states they were ceramic coated. Guess I'll have to wait until I return back to the states.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looking good.... are these made by Screaming Eagle? I looked in their catalog and found none :-(
Am I missing something.
Thanks. Yes they are Screamin Eagles. No you wont find them in the catalog, they stopped producing and selling them in 2008. You can however find them occasionally on ebay or in the 1130cc classifieds. I got very lucky and found a set just as I started looking.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks. Yes they are Screamin Eagles. No you wont find them in the catalog, they stopped producing and selling them in 2008. You can however find them occasionally on ebay or in the 1130cc classifieds. I got very lucky and found a set just as I started looking.
I see. I assume, it was direct fit though, given that yours is 2009?
Also, it seems that they look (almost) identical to stock early years such as this, please correct me if I'm wrong:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I wonder what the internal difference would be.... less/different baffles, or??

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see. I assume, it was direct fit though, given that yours is 2009?
Also, it seems that they look (almost) identical to stock early years such as this, please correct me if I'm wrong:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I wonder what the internal difference would be.... less/different baffles, or??
Actually, the SE mufflers that I installed were not meant for the DX. I had to purchase the 09 AW head pipe/aux volume, all the shields, the muffler clamps and mounting bracket w/rubber isolators.

The look is the only thing identical to the AW model. The internals are very different. If you hold the muffler up to light and look down thru the baffle you will see what looks to be a solid metal plug half way in, but you can see light coming from the other side of it. If it was a stock AW muffler, you would not be able to see any light what-so-ever.

The sound is also very different. A little louder than stock at idle with a nice rumble. As you start to climb thru the RPM range it gets even louder while maintaining that deep rumble. Ive had the following exhausts and would rated them as follows. 1 being quiet - 5 being loudest.

Stock - 1
Rinehart 2/1 - 5 (tinty sounding)
Supertrapp slip-ons - maybe 3 (depends on the # of disks you use) (quiet rumble)
Bub7 2/1 - 5 (tinty sounding)
SE mufflers - 2-3 (nice rumble)

There are all sorts of pipes available and each one has its own unique sound. The above notes are how the exhausts sound to me. Everyone has their own opinions, these are mine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Actually, the SE mufflers that I installed were not meant for the DX. I had to purchase the 09 AW head pipe/aux volume, all the shields, the muffler clamps and mounting bracket w/rubber isolators.
Thanks for an excellent explanation. Being new to V-Rod's world, I need to learn quickly :)

Just one more thing (his famous last words...) - would you be able to post the PN's for all the necessary bits and pieces (other than the SE mufflers) needed for this conversion? I just love the look of it. Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for an excellent explanation. Being new to V-Rod's world, I need to learn quickly :)

Just one more thing (his famous last words...) - would you be able to post the PN's for all the necessary bits and pieces (other than the SE mufflers) needed for this conversion? I just love the look of it. Many thanks in advance.
I see that you have an 08. The aux volume/ header pipe changed in 09. On the 08 model, the front header pipe is separate from the aux volume. In 09, the front header pipe was welded to the aux volume making it one piece. I like that idea because its one less place to develop an exhaust leak. So the part numbers I provide will be for an 09 model (which will fit an 08). And will include the lower mounting bracket and smaller parts.

64827-09 Auxiliary Volume
64966-09 Exhaust Pipe, rear (chrome)
64832-09 Clamp, exhaust
65112-01B Shield, upper exhaust (chrome)
65046-01 Shield, lower exhaust (chrome)
65113-07A Exhaust Support
65200-01 Rubber Isolator (2)
65107-01 Rubber Isolator
65106-01 Support bar
10346 Pin
65165-01 Bracket, exhaust support
3709M Screw (5)
6302 Washer (5)
65271-03 Chrome Billet Clamps
64971-09 Exhaust Seals (2)

The above list is not a complete list. You can reuse the following off the stock DX model to avoid duplicate parts. Remember the DX parts will be black and the AW parts will be chrome.

64801-07A Shield Exhaust Assembly, rear
64802-07 Shield Exhaust Assembly, front
4608MA Screws (chrome) (5)
6917M Washer (chrome) (5)
9955 Clamps (6) for attaching header pipe shields
65102-01 Flange (2)
65045-01 Retaining ring (2)

Thats about it. Now find a color you like (chrome, ceramic black or power coat black).

One more thing. Get yourself a Service Manual and a Parts Book. Those are indispensable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts