Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a bike with Jug Huggers recently installed on it. (like a week before I purchased it). It seems the exhaust has a gap at the engine connection. I've put a wrench on the nuts and they are as tight as can be on all 4. It doesn't seem to be loose. I was curious if this is a regular thing with different styles of exhaust of it the installer made a mistake. I saw 2 new gaskets were used, but it has a 1/8 gap between the collar and the engine.

Also the dealer did a quick download on the bike (it does not have a power commander or other tuner) is that going to be good enough or will it cause some kind of damage? The dealer seemed to think it will run fine, but said it "isn't and exact match" So that scared me a bit.

Any help on these topics would be great.

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
what year is your bike - if it is 2009 and newer you will need 2008 exhaust gaskets...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I guess I should have included that, it is an 04 vrsca. it seems odd to me because of the gap on the bracket, but like I said they are very tight and seem to have no exhuast leaking. It just doesn't look right.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
:worthless

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not trying to sound sarcastic, but im not sure what good a picture will do. The exhaust is installed. everything is properly in line and tight. The collar,bracket whatever you would like to call it is about 1/8 of and inch (equal all around) from being up against the engine like the stock exhaust was. I was just curious if some exhaust systems have this gap because of the design and fit, or if it was always wrong to have a gap.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
:vrodforu:
if there is not an exhaust leak at the headers, then no harm no foul. In regards to the dealer stating "it's not an exact match", find a different dealer or do the work yourself. I don't know of any tuner that is an "exact" match, not even sure what that would mean. If you want your bike tuned to near perfection, you will need to do a dyno and have a custom map created.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would love to do the dyno but just dont have the money right now to do it. It was around 220 for the download they did at the dealership. I wasn't sure what he meant by the "exact match" either. I got the impression he was trying to sell the tuner and dyno and was trying to make the download sound worse. I would like to get that done. They say what is installed now will not harm the engine (but with the jug huggers I get different noises that make me paranoid).

As far as the exhaust connection, I did have the dealer look it over when the installed the download and they told me everything was ok. However they were very busy that day and I didn't trust he gave it a great deal of time ( since they didn't charge me to look it over).

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Not trying to sound sarcastic, but im not sure what good a picture will do. The exhaust is installed. everything is properly in line and tight. The collar,bracket whatever you would like to call it is about 1/8 of and inch (equal all around) from being up against the engine like the stock exhaust was. I was just curious if some exhaust systems have this gap because of the design and fit, or if it was always wrong to have a gap.
some pipes have a small gap and some don't...it depends on the manufacturer...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you, I couldn't really find that information anywhere. It seems as if they are very snug and the gap is equal all around with no leaking of the exhaust. it just looks funny I suppose.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
The exhaust clamp bottoms on a spring keeper that fits around the pipe. The collar should not be tight up to the head. In fact, if the collar was cinched up solid to the head, it would probably leak for sure because the gaskets would not have been installed.

It sounds like your dealer sold you a download for the Screamin' Eagle pipes. If that's the case, it is not adequate for the Jugg Huggers. In fact, he charged you too much; that download retails for about $150. You needed a PC-III or PC-V or some other fueler to get the mixture richened up a bit for those pipes.

You don't have to get a dyno-tune to get your bike running properly with a tuner. You can seat-of-the-pants tune it, it just takes some time and dedication. For the Jugg Huggers, in my experience what you need is to add some fuel through the low and mid ranges in the partial throttle condition, to stop the stumbling and back-firing. I did this with mine with a Gil's Fuel Integrator (Gil's box) and when I did get it on the dyno found that my AFR was almost flat-lined at 13.2. I don't think I could get it any better over all with a dyno tune. With moderate riding I was getting about 42 mpg.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. On the cost I did only pay 150 for the download, they charged a fee for the labor for whatever was being done. They had the bike in the back for almost 2 hours. So that makes me feel un easy also. Like they couldn't get it right or something. What kinds of problems will I get if the download is what you assume they used and not correct?

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
1/8" sounds about right to me. That's what mine is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts