Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just recently bought a 2006 VRSCR. Its mostly stock with only 10K miles on it.
So far I love it, but I'm not crazy about the aftermarket exhaust that is on it.
For my taste, its too short, hangs down too low and it's too loud.
If I wanted to look for a OEM set up, what year and model exhaust is compatible with my bike without too much fabrication to "make it work?"
Know anyone that has one for sale?
Thanks in advance for all your help!

·
VRSC est -03
3,097 Posts
If I wanted to look for a OEM set up, what year and model exhaust is compatible with my bike without too much fabrication to "make it work?"
Models exhaust made to clear mid peg setup. VRSCR & VRSCD.
Or Vance & Hines #17535.
Ebay?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the same boat with an '06 Night Rod. I have an aftermarket exhaust and Power Commander. I want to to get rid of the Power Commander, and a quieter exhaust would be a plus. I recall that volume is an issue with the v-rod exhaust when the bike first came out in 2002. What pipes can I use without the Power Commander? Or can I just add baffles and then I don't need the Power Commander? Anyone on this thread know?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
If you really need to dial down the sound you can pick up adjustable baffles/dB killers on Amazon or eBay pretty cheap ($15) and try that first. You'd have to drill a hoke or two in your muffler though. I've used them on my ATV pipes and worked well. I'm just using 3.5" automotive exhaust tips as slip-ons for my R and will add the baffles for noise if needed.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Something I should have thought of initially is that your current pipe likely already has a hole drilled for the baffles that it came with so you may be able to use an existing hole if you add an adjustable dB killer.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
If you're putting in a db killer in any muffler all you're doing is sticking a cork in it's A$$. You'd be better off, and develop more power with a longer open pipe that kills the noise with length of the muffler. Ask me how I figured that out. The Revo needs to move lots of exhaust in big high Rpm pulses and it cant do that very well with a cork in it's A$$. Just saying let those 4 valve head's breathe - if you cant see the two pipes meeting at the collector when you look up your exhaust pipe's butt with a flashlight you're leaving Hp on the table. End of story.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Considering that lowflyer and jerseyjill are talking about switching back to stock exhaust and removing tuners it doesn't appear they're all that worried about maximizing noise and hp. A $13 baffle/dB killer is a lot easier to try out than sourcing a whole exhaust.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks Boo. But I'd have to keep the power commander, right?
I don't think it would matter what exhausts you put on your bike you will want to keep the power commander on there. If your bike is like most on here it will have a slight hesitation or stall at around the 3K RPM if you don't add a little fuel. You will probably have to retune the Commander if you change the exhaust.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input.
If I had to prioritize, I would have to say that noise reduction is at the top of the list. If I can get a stock system back on it, at least I won't be losing power.
Plus I get my ground clearance back so I can actually lean into turns.
Just coming off of an R1, it does take conscious effort to remember not to lean too much.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
lowflyer - Although heavy the stock system with the aux volume chamber makes really good power and has great flow with a set of H-D hollow point mufflers or a set of lighter slip-ons like Tabs, V&H, Supertrapp or Kerker. You can also buy an early Bassani Road Rage exhaust for about $ 700 or a early V&H 17535 system as mentioned for about $ 300 there's often one on e bay I saw one on there the other day - there was also a complete stock system and various pieces and many slip-ons available on e bay to create the system you want. Excessive backpressure from a db killer is not the most ideal way to quiet a Revo engine because it destroys the high Rpm Hp the engine was designed to create. Longer muffler systems can quiet it down and still allow flow which is why H-D made the stock system so long and in the R it's good for 120Hp at the crank, many aftermarket systems that match or better that are short and loud as hell, put a db killer in there and you'll watch any gains go away - some aftermarket systems actually don't do as well as stock because they don't have the two mufflers to keep the flow up even the 17535 has a built in db killer yes its sounds pretty good but probably down on max hp compared to a stock system with two free flowing mufflers - Good Luck with your exhaust !

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for all the input.
If I had to prioritize, I would have to say that noise reduction is at the top of the list. If I can get a stock system back on it, at least I won't be losing power.
Plus I get my ground clearance back so I can actually lean into turns.
Just coming off of an R1, it does take conscious effort to remember not to lean too much.
What aftermarket system do you have?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the stock exhaust for an 06D, but the baffles have been removed. It's pretty loud, but I'd let it go for a $100 plus shipping. Full headers back.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Great deal on Bikerboys stock pipe throw the heavy hogged out mufflers away save shipping $ just have him ship the pipes and aux chamber then get a set of aftermarket slip on's and don't look any further IMHO ! Those Dan Moto are Communist Chinese V&H knock off copies - I wouldn't have that loud hot crap pipe on my R either probably built by slave labor sick with CV19 of their own making and they're guilty of patent infringement for stealing intellectual property from a US company. Pull it, pack it with dog crap and lovingly ship it back to China lowflyer - I know it's kinda hard to tell how I feel about the CCP, I'm Sorry !

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Great deal on Bikerboys stock pipe throw the heavy hogged out mufflers away save shipping $ just have him ship the pipes and aux chamber then get a set of aftermarket slip on's and don't look any further IMHO ! Those Dan Moto are Communist Chinese V&H knock off copies - I wouldn't have that loud hot crap pipe on my R either probably built by slave labor sick with CV19 of their own making and they're guilty of patent infringement for stealing intellectual property from a US company. Pull it, pack it with dog crap and lovingly ship it back to China lowflyer - I know it's kinda hard to tell how I feel about the CCP, I'm Sorry !
Stop holding back! 😂

1 - 20 of 39 Posts