Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the board just bought my 2010 VRSCDX two weeks ago and really love the bike. The only thing I don't love about it is the quiet exhaust.
I'm looking to upgrade my exhaust and get a tuner but really don't want to pay the dealer $1400 for a set of slip ons and a tune, when I can get the parts and do it myself for quite a bit cheaper.
I also do not want to screw my warranty up by doing the exhaust, which the dealer says they can't even guarantee that the warranty will be good if they do the work. I'm looking for an exhaust that sounds good, isn't excessively loud, looks nice and will give me performance boost with a tuner.
I really like the Toxic exhaust on Ebay but some say that exhaust actually decreases HP. I've also heard that anything but the Harley Supertuner is just a piggyback system that tricks the computer by sending it false signals instead of actually remapping the fuel curve. Let me know what you guys think, I really want to give this bike more bark.

thanks
Dan

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
:vrodforu: Most of the tuners are piggy back, even the HD super tuner. Thundermax completely replaces the stock ECM and is an easy DIY. Even the piggy back systems are an easy DIY, but unlike Thundermax or the PCV w/auto tune, you will need a good dyno to get an optimal map.
Any open un-baffled exhaust system will cause you to lose HP, as well as most 2:2 aftermarket systems.
Good luck, and do as much wrenching yourself on your bike as you can. Only take it to the dealer for warranty work

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really don't have the money to spend on the Thundermax tuner. The Supertrapp pipes are looking the best to me at this point. What's your take on those pipes and what other tuner do you recommend? I see that Power Programmer has a autotuner add on that automatically tunes the bike on it's own.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I want to gain HP and Torque, not lose it. Steer me clear of any exhaust that lost HP and TQ and steer me towards systems that will gain.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
your best bet is to browse through the EFI section of this forum, way more information than I could ever offer to ya. I do know that a member here is selling his Thundermax set up for $500 in the classified section. Good luck:thumb:

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Supertrapp is a decent power pipe. I have one on my '05. The Harley SuperTuner (SEPST) and the TTS Mastertune are both tuners that ARE NOT Piggyback. You plug them in, download the tune, and then remove. Powercommanders are piggybacks and as AOW said the Thundermax replaces the ECM.

The TTS Mastertune also has features that will allow you to self-tune the bike while riding. You will have to keep the laptop connected to collect the data required to do the tune, but the feedback I have heard is that it works pretty well. I have a Mastertune for my '08 but had it tuned on a dyno, so I did not do the data collection that way. I think you will find that there are areas of the map where you won't be able to get good data points because they are hard to reproduce without a dyno, but for the most part you will be able to dial in the parts of the map that are most important and put in good estimates for the rest. it is a very well thought-of product.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I talked to a very well known local speed shop this afternoon and his suggestion is that I send my pipes to V-mod.com, then bring my bike in to them. The shop will then modify the airbox and intake runners to each cylinder, install a highflow airfilter and powercommander then dynotune the bike. He said they've done quite a few v-rods and the V-mod pipes work the best so far. So it looks like this is the way I will be going since his shop is well known around here and he says this is the way to do it.

Any thoughts on this? It will cost me

$150 to get the pipes modded and
$750 for powercommander, air filter and intake modification and dyno tuning

·
** Place ad here **
1,460 Posts
:vrodforu: Most of the tuners are piggy back, even the HD super tuner. Thundermax completely replaces the stock ECM and is an easy DIY. Even the piggy back systems are an easy DIY, but unlike Thundermax or the PCV w/auto tune, you will need a good dyno to get an optimal map.
Any open un-baffled exhaust system will cause you to lose HP, as well as most 2:2 aftermarket systems.
Good luck, and do as much wrenching yourself on your bike as you can. Only take it to the dealer for warranty work
The SEST is NOT a piggyback system.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
the hd tuner is not a piggy back and the mastertune isn`t either... as far as warranty the way the warranty is worded most modifications have warranty implications but i have seen very few problems not taken care of because of a pipe or other modification.. the only exception would be if you burned up a cyl running a pipe without a calibration upgrade. and that did happen in 2002 with burned up rear cylnders from people installing samson pipes without any calibration change..

·
Work in Progress.
448 Posts
I went to the extra expense of getting the dealer to install the exhaust, tuner and filter so it is covered. The little that you save doing it yourself and the agro that can come out of the "not covered" issue is not worth it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts