Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:
When I was cleaning the bike a little bit ago,I was drying off the front fork and noticed the nut was loose.There was no torque value whatsoever.
Thank God I had this erge to go clean the v-rod.and it was the last thing I was cleaning.
Man and I was putting it through it's paces earlier today.I noticed that the front end was a little wobble.I quess that's why :ithappen:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
It has been a problem all along, they even recomend that you replace the 02's front nut with the 03 style but it still needs to be checked on a regular basis.

Max

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
Vinnie, mine was loose after I got my bike..........scared the crap outa me!!! I torqued the sh*t out of it

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went with what the manual said 50-55ft*.I went 52 and put a dap of locktite.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shawn Nelson said:
maybe we should wire it, just to be safer.
That's not a bad idea.
I wonder why they don't have a c-clip on the axle like the rear has?

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
mines tight as a ____ _____ ! :twisted:

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
Tighten the nut appropriately then mark a line across nut and fork with a black marksalot, just one side of nut. Now you can visually see at anytime whether nut has moved, backed off.

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
FYI: Caution about "torque"

Harleyvrodguy said:
Vinnie, mine was loose after I got my bike..........scared the crap outa me!!! I torqued the sh*t out of it
Caution: Good you torqued to specs. If you over torque the axle nuts, too much pressure on the wheel bearings can cause the wheel to lock :paper: due to heat and excess bearing wear. The HDI manual recommends avoiding torque on the rear axle nut in excess of 105 foot pounds.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Put A Bead of silicone around the nut .When it dries your all set! :kaz:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts