Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or something. I can't tell what's leaking but something is..... Any ideas? While I love the bike, I've never owned a bike with so many
issues. Yeah this is my first Harley......

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
Do NOT see the leak in the pics. Can you pin point the spot where the oil is ?

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do NOT see the leak in the pics. Can you pin point the spot where the oil is ?
Sorry the top pic and it's in the shadow but the 5th/6th fin down on the rear. Oil is there. I wiped up but keeps showing up. I know they checked the valve lashing and said it was ok and that they put a gasket on when putting it back togehter. I just assume it's where the valves are. I never had any leaking before. It smells like oil. I wish I had better pics.

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
If that is the rear of the front cylinder, I am gonna guess the breather pipe under the lower section of the air cover is not in. Take the air cover off and look at the bottom to make sure the crank case breather is installed into the bottom cover of the air cleaner cover.

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
Also look for the O-ring at the end of that tube. It presses into a hole in the engine, on top of the front cylinder, on the left side of the head. This is a breather for the crankcase.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If that is the rear of the front cylinder, I am gonna guess the breather pipe under the lower section of the air cover is not in. Take the air cover off and look at the bottom to make sure the crank case breather is installed into the bottom cover of the air cleaner cover.
Will do and thanks.

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
There is also a breather hose on the rear cylinder to the air box lower half. It is under the plastic radiator resevoir, on the right side, almost under the frame rail. Make sure it is in the air box and the hose is clamped to the fitting comming out of the head. I use long flat nose pliers to grab the clamp and seal the hose on the fitting.

Wow my second post. I'm Helping!

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
There is also a breather hose on the rear cylinder to the air box lower half. It is under the plastic radiator resevoir, on the right side, almost under the frame rail. Make sure it is in the air box and the hose is clamped to the fitting comming out of the head. I use long flat nose pliers to grab the clamp and seal the hose on the fitting.

You poor thing. You're hooked already.:grouphug

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Cool. I appreciate it and will look at it tomorrow when I'm with the bike.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Oil what oil..... lol I used to have a shovel head with a 4 speed ratchet.... now that thing leaked.

Try to find the actual leak spot, if its the gasket bring it back and say hey you serviced it and now it leaks.

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts

Because of the location of the oil I do not think that this breather is the cause, but a good assumption on your end that this may be it.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Dang Bob, 3 years and one tiny leak, I think you got a lemon. :D

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jim-

1) Coolant hose blew off while crossing from NY to PA - nearly stranded

2) Clutch fluids contaminated (and I had in the shop for normal servicing). Shop said they never saw that before. Caused popping out of gear - and in turns, one tends to freak out a bit.

3) Now leaking oil but I can't find the source. Under breather I noticed oil - wiped up. Did not see where it was coming from and all looks fine.

One issue a year.....I suppose it's not bad :)

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Jim-
2) Clutch fluids contaminated (and I had in the shop for normal servicing). Shop said they never saw that before. Caused popping out of gear - and in turns, one tends to freak out a bit.
contaminated with what and how?

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
contaminated with what and how?
Dirt I was told. I suppose the paint coming off the reservoir should have been a clue. I was told if fluid is leaking out, moisture and dirt is coming in. I always had fluids replaced on a regular basis but also found out if you take the bike in for service, the shop only eyes the level and never really checked the clutch or brake fluids.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
The master cylinder covers will leak if over tightened. DOT 4 likes to wick in and absorb moisture from the air. (I found out the hard way) Living and riding in the humid environment such as VA, you really need to be diligent with changing out your DOT 4 fluids on at least a semi-annual basis.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The master cylinder covers will leak if over tightened. DOT 4 likes to wick in and absorb moisture from the air. (I found out the hard way) Living and riding in the humid environment such as VA, you really need to be diligent with changing out your DOT 4 fluids on at least a semi-annual basis.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I've started doing. Once a year just doesn't cut it.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's now more than a leak. Whatever is coming out is all over the left side. Screw it. I am dropping the bike off Saturday (at least that's the plan). Keep the bike and fix it. I have my car and too many deer are running around. My issue is the bike never leaked until after my 12k service.......

Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts