Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone uses this product, or something similar ?
thoughts? pro's? issues? etc etc
thinking about trying it.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Haven't tried it but read where one of the down sides is if the engine is overheating this stuff will continue to absorb the heat and compound the problem because it can withstand temps way higher than regular coolant and actually aid in further engine damage.
Probably an ok product until the shit hits the fan:D and then it can be more hindrance than help is my take on it.
Depends what your goal is I guess as to whether you would benefit or not.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
If you read your owners manual it will tell you what is acceptable. If it doesn't meet those requirements why would you entertain the thought of using something that can cause damage to your engine?
HD Owners Manual said:
If you find yourself in a location where genuine Harley-Davidson Extended Life Antifreeze & Coolant is not available, you may use a 50-50 mixture of de-ionized water and Ethylene Glycol-based antifreeze.

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,633 Posts
I have tried engine ice and it didn't drop the temperature any from the stock HD coolant, so basically a waste of money.
Interesting point. What many don't get, and it's a bit counter intuitive, is that the coolant indicating cooler is not necessarily an indication of the engine itself being cooler. Different fluids have different capability of exchanging heat. A coolant with less capability of exchanging heat can actually read cooler at the temp bulb in the fluid but the metal surrounding your exhaust ports can actually be hotter.

I would encourage anyone wanting to run these coolants do some research beyond internet forums. Now if a sanctioning body mandates coolant without silicates than you have to use what you can.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Straight water offers the best coolant but will corrode the system so any antifreeze that contain agents to lower the freezing point and have corrosion inhibitors in them will not cool as well. A compromise of 70/30 mix will split the hairs between a bit better cooling and still offer corrosion protection but not for as long. To me, it's not worth the trade off so 50/50 it is. If the engine is running too hot, it's not the coolant but mechanical in nature. Claims that lower the engine temp are mostly BS.
Regarding the EVANS, I've flown with it and the only difference was it didn't expand as much and showed a lower water pressure on the gauge. Engine cooling on the Rotax was not noticably improved.
Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts