Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some fairly simple bits for an AW: seat, sissy bar, bags, chrome chain covers, nothing much.

US price, around $1,200.

Europe price, €2,400, which is probably around $3.3K

That's an absolute disgrace, frankly. And I hear that US dealers are prevented from shipping to Europe so as to enable this farce to continue.

Is this right, or have I missed something somewhere?

·
fire up !
700 Posts
Louis said:
And I hear that US dealers are prevented from shipping to Europe so as to enable this farce to continue.

Is this right, or have I missed something somewhere?
there are many dealers in the US that do take (online) international orders & ship but you can't escape from those insane (UPS) shipping costs ... and import duties, taxes, VAT ... because UPS WILL declare the goods w/customs except when you manage to NOT have the goodies shipped from a company because they must declare the commercial value on each box ... let's suppose you have a relative/friend in the US who wants to send you a gift for your birthday via regular post, wouldn't that be nice ? bold printed words look soooo much better to me
grtz

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indeed. For the sort of savings involved, it would be worth taking a holiday in the US. Insane, completely insane. I'm an economist by training, and I don't see how this nonsense could happen: one quick post later, and I've found a friendly dealer, saving me about £1,000 ($2,000). So how do Harley make any official sales in Europe, are people stupid? (On second thoughts, best not answer that).

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup.

Bet Harley stop supplying them though.

Whole thing stinks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Don't Zanotti ship to Europe?
or plan B, like I do, get it shipped to a friend in the USA who then ships it to me in the UK.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well yes, I Have Found A Way (thanks all). But I shouldn't NEED to! Harley are careful to keep the bike prices more or less in line with the US (accounting for tax, exchange rate fluctuations etc) so why this self defeating, greedy, incompetent effort to rip us off blind for parts?

I will never knowingly buy ANYTHING from Harley in Europe again as long as there is breath in my body. Disembowelling would be too good for them.

1,501 Posts
I am sure i posted this before, the import duty on bike parts is 3.5% Leather goods 4%, shirts and clothing 12%.

Always get the box marked as Motorcycle Parts.

The cost last year of a very large and very heavy box was around $150-$200 shipping.

You have £12 parcelfarce collection of duty charge (thing that pi$$es me off about that is i end up going to collect the parcel as they hold on to it until i recieve a letter in the post telling me how much i have to pay and sort of defeats the opject of Express shipping when it takes a week for letter to arrive, twice as long as parcel to get to the UK!).

Try and get them to ship on a Monday, you should have parcel by the weekend.

VAT is payable on the declared value and the duty, it's about 50% cheaper with the $ being even weaker than it was last year with Zanotti's 20% discount.

They also charged me $20 per consignment for the extra work involved in export shipping.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Louis said:
Well yes, I Have Found A Way (thanks all). But I shouldn't NEED to! Harley are careful to keep the bike prices more or less in line with the US (accounting for tax, exchange rate fluctuations etc) so why this self defeating, greedy, incompetent effort to rip us off blind for parts?

I will never knowingly buy ANYTHING from Harley in Europe again as long as there is breath in my body. Disembowelling would be too good for them.
....I am not so certain that HD is the source of your problem. To really get to the bottom you need to find out several things.

How much of that cost is import and sales tax? How much is actual shipping to your local dealer? And, how much is local dealer mark-up so that they too profit in the end?

I am sure that these numbers will not be fair in the end, but I am willing to bet that HD recieves close to the same income on a part sold in the US as a part sold abroad. I bet most of that crazy mark-up is done right in your local dealer's hands.

Before I got into Harley my hobby was VW Beetles. I had them in the states and they were cheap. Came to Germany only to find out that everything was 2-3 times as expensive here. Shipping from the US, import duties, sales tax and local mark-up. It is not just Harley.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are right in principle, but wrong in scale I think. I'm not trying to be an arrogant git, but my degree is in economics, and I have a nasty camera habit that needs feeding from the US, so I follow this stuff.

VAT is ~ 20%
There is an import duty of ~5%
Shipping costs for parts, let's be generous and add ~ 5%
Volume is lower, so lets add another ~10%
The dollar is historically low at the moment, and companies don't like running prices up and down all the time, it frightens the consumers, so let's base it all on a historic exchange rate of $1.1 to the Euro.

so (1.2 x 1.05 x 1.05 x 1.1)/1.1 = 1.89, and I'm being very, very generous.

Since the actual number is ~3.2, what we have is a bunch of greedy, thieving bastards.

Now WHICH bunch of theiving, greedy bastards I can't say - I don't know enough about Harley's contractual relationship with its importers, or those importer's relationships with authorised dealers. But I CAN say that SOMEWHERE between Milwaukee and Fernando Olivera in Olhao is a tosser who wants to take me for a mug, and, since I'm not a mug, I'm not giving the git my money.

The odd thing is, at the moment, for the first time in my life, and it won't last long, I'm actually rather flush, and I COULD just give Fernando the money and save myself a load of hassle that I don't need. But, purely on principal, I won't. They can kiss my hole. Anyone who wants my money will have to do a bit more for it than present me with an outrageous bill and wait for me to pony up.

[Rage, froth, gibber]

By the way, there's a horrible irony here in that I used to be VERY close to someone who is (apparently) the part owner of a Harley dealership in the US. If I'd known I was going to end up as a Harley owner, I'd have made a point of parting on better terms, instead of packing her suitcase for her and throwing it into the street. The moral is, never fall out with anyone, however big a pain in the jacksie they are - you may need them later.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
If this helps...I was just at the HD dealer here. 5 minutes ago...

I am looking at a HD skull leather jacket. MSRP in the states is 420.00. I found it at a Dealer in the states for 359.00 Here in Germany, the same freaking jacket is €618.00. That is $ 870.00. Twice the cost!

I also noticed a pair of chrome axel covers, €59.00 ($83.00) and they are 39 from Zanottis.

At least the good new for Europeans...the dollar SUCKS right now so anything you can get from the US is dirt cheap...

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting. So Germany is double? Portugal appears to be triple, which gives me more of idea of where the rot lies...

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Louis said:
Interesting. So Germany is double? Portugal appears to be triple, which gives me more of idea of where the rot lies...

Yea...I'd bet a lot of that is either your local dealer or your local taxes, import - But like you said, the latter you can verify. :deal:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts