Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eureka Springs, AR – with Natalie – 07-16-10 – 07-19-10

It’s not often that both Natalie and I do not have something that must be done on the weekends and aren’t needed for someone, with DJ at camp over the weekend we thought this would be a great time to go for a weekend trip. It’s the middle of july, in Oklahoma, it’s freaking hot…but at least there isn’t much rain in the forecast. I called to find a cabin to stay at in Eureka Springs, AR and was having a difficult time. I ended up finding one available at Bear Mountain Cabins, it just so happened to be their nicest one bedroom. A bit more than I had planned to spend but it is what I could find on such short notice.

We left Friday after lunch, took some of my favorite twisty roads in Oklahoma and made our first stop in Grove for gas and to cool off…

we were not the only people in town with this idea on a day like today

I checked the radar on my phone while we were stopped; there were some stray thunderstorms south of our route. What a relief as we didn’t pack rain gear with limited luggage space. I headed on to hw-90 in Missouri for some more of my favorite turns

We made it to our cabin about an hour later than planned due to the wet roads, my normal average speed was not doable in these conditions

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The cabin…like I said it was more than initially planned dollar wise, but wow. What a place. Worth EVERY penny. And the view!

very remote, couldn’t hear or see another soul….I loved it

As we walked in, this is the first view we have of the cabin

opposite view from behind the kitchen island

coming in from the back porch

the bedroom, my “point and shoot” camera really couldn’t get a wide enough angle to capture it well

The Jacuzzi tub ;-)

another view of the living room with 20’ high ceilings

screened in back porch with dining, this was one of my favorite places to spend the mornings while Natalie was asleep.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We were hungry and it was getting late in the evening, there was light rain in the area and without rain gear we wanted to find food nearby. Angler’s grill and pub was a couple miles down the road, they’re famous for all you can eat catfish…I’d been there before with Mark Webster and knew the food was good. No pictures, you all have seen catfish before. But, they do have their own beer brewed for them…I have my priorities straight.

Angler’s Pale Ale

We had plans to ride an Arkansas all-star route of highways Saturday so called it an evening.

Remember that view, well this is what I awoke to Saturday morning

this is a dream come true for me to be in such a remote location. Someday I hope to have a place like this myself.

my morning ritual during the trip, coffee and a cigar

The route
http://www.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...35.949106,-93.424988&spn=1.01834,2.469177&z=9

Forecasts called for “20% chance of precip, with a stray thunderstorm possible”

Hw-74 at the elk reserve…it was mid-day so no elk to be seen

The roads were as amazing, this was my first time on hw-123 this year…it was as wonderful as always. I dialed it up a little on the top section. Natalie is a fantastic passenger, I could barely even tell she was there. She would feel me shift weight and just move right on over with me, smoothly.

We did hit some of those stray thunderstorms, one of which we hit on the lower portion of hw-123. We stopped and waited it out for 15 minutes…

notice the makeshift hair tie. This has bad ass biker written all over it

we trekked on and made an emergency route change to avoid more rain. This meant we missed the Oark general store. It was frustrating at the time because I was really looking forward to eating lunch in Oark, but “Backwoods BBQ” found on hw-23 (go east when hw-23n junctions with hw-16) had the most tender ribs I’ve ever had the privilege to plow down. Open thurday, Friday, and Saturday only

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We continued back on 23n to Eureka and stopped for booze and food. The cabin also has a charcoal grill, a porterhouse sounds about right over a glass of wine, mothership wit, and with a view from the back porch :)

life is good, in fact, we’re having such a great time I sent our boss a text to ask if we could have Monday off as well. He agreed, and we extended our trip another day so we would have more time.

Sunday was more about hanging around and exploring Eureka. The owners of the cabin have 30 acres. On this, they have several cabins and a horse stable and offer trail rides. This had Natalie excited, it had been a LONG time since either one of us had been on a horse so we slept in (she did, I preformed my morning ritual on the back porch, when she woke up she made breakfast :) ) and went up the hill just before noon.

our tour guide, “chief”

my horse, boom

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We went to downtown Eureka that afternoon to see the city and do some shopping. It’s an interesting place to explore, very narrow and steep roads and no building after around 1891ish

We went to Ermilio’s for dinner that evening, this is the best itilian food I’ve ever had. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After another night it was time to leave for Tulsa. We had a great time, but were not quite done yet. We stopped by Beaver damn on the way out

then rode out to War Eagle cavern to take a tour of the cave

I had not walked in a cave like this ever before, it was a guided tour that took an hour. It was still retarded hot out, with heat indexes hovering around 110. The cave, however, was a cool 58 degrees.

there’s a lot of history to this cave, as there is in most caves. This is where people lived long ago and our tour guide shared many stories with us.

of course there were bats too!

The cave is right off beaver lake, which has crystal clear water. You could see all these fish swimming and asking to be caught. I’ll be back with my buddy matt, hopefully soon, to do some bass fishing. You can even see a couple in this picture

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we headed on to Fayetteville from War Eagle for one last stop before coming back to reality. US pizza is top notch, they serve several New Belgium beers on tap (though I was too dehydrated to enjoy them this day) and I make it a point to eat there after almost anytime I ride in Arkansas. It’s a great way to finish the day.

We powered home from Fayetteville, we’re totally spent…

and who wouldn’t be in this madness?

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
Damn. Wish I'd known. We were there too. Met up with a few other forum members in the area as well. I agree with ermilio's. It's a must every time we go. We were there the 15th. Glad you had fun.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great pics and story. I am sure you had a great time.

My wife and I love that area. Beautiful scenery and great roads.

I had just bought a new '99 Corvette when we learned there was a huge Corvette gathering in Eureka Springs. We had only had the car a few weeks with around 1000 miles on it when we arrived. There were over 500 Corvettes there. Since you have been there, you can imagine how they took over the town. We also loved the downtown area. We sat on a balcony eating dinner overlooking the main drag watching all the cars and bikes go by.

Here is what a typical hotel looked like that weekend.

They had a Corvette show one morning along the hotel row.

One of the events was held at a state park nearby. As you can see below, there were tons of Vettes. Cool thing about this was as everyone left, they were told they could do a burnout but had to complete it by a certain mark are they would be ticketed. People lined up on both sides of the road and, one by one, everyone smoked them as they left. I told my wife that I liked how these people did things.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
awesome photos of the vettes!

I ride in Arkansas regularly, the roads are amazing. On two different occasions I have been in the hills the same weekend as the corvette gathering. It was always cool to see a line of 8-10 vettes going by, having as good as time as i am, curving on those wonderful hills.

I hope I get to do another trip like this with my girl soon, she is amazing and we have a great time together - the eureka trip has been one of the most enjoyable bike trips i've been on and it was because of the company I had with me :thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts