Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had to get some gas, not knowing that i got some gas with ethanol in it, i filled up. don't know if it was just me but i did notice a drop in performance. hopefuly this will be last fillup with this type of gas.

·
Registered
221 Posts
E10 Gasahol..............YUK!

In my opinion, it's the worst thing to happen to true fans of the internal combustion engine but it was bound to happen sooner or later. The problems I have with E10 are numerous. First off is that because alcohol has a much higher octane rating plants can blend it with lower grade gasoline and believe me, they do. On top of that, alcohol is a solvent and if you're dealing with smaller tool engines that are still carbed and have been running pure gasoline all their life the new E10 will cause problems by loosening deposits left from the gasoline and can clog jets. The fuel has a three month shelf life where is eventually goes into what is called "Phase Separation" which can either be a separation of the alcohol and gas or more likely water. This fuel pulls water into it like a sponge. It's the worst thing that ever happened to the marine industry. You'll also notice reduced gas mileage which is par for the course for something our government has it's hands in. They got all the farmers to grow food for fuel and now we're stuck with it so I'm pretty much over with dreading it. Does it produce more power, I highly doubt it but there certainly will be some chemists answering soon or at least plenty of riders that are more educated than I am. These are only my opinions and understanding and I'm always willing to learn.
Ed

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Alcohol does have a slower rate of burn.this requires a higher compression engine.like the Revo is.Alcohol does not have the same energy in a gallon as gasoline does,therefore it requires more to make the difference up.The ecm's in the V-rod are not capable of making the necessary adjustments,so they will run bad.
The alcohol and biodiesel are not going away,so either make an ecm that can control the Revo's alcohol consumption,or get rid of it.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Just wait, there is a new initiative to allow "E15" - 15% Ethanol. Supposedly for 2007 and newer models, but frankly I don't see gas stations putting in extra tanks and pumps just for that - it will eventually replace E10 if allowed to go through. UGH.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I honestly do not care what my spark ignited engines run on.
It's just the fact that here again,from government controlled business,we have the cart before the horse again.
Cash for clunkers was only the beginning of getting rid of gasoline powered engines.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Living in an ethanol state it's almost impossible to avoid it. I'm not an ethanol backer but have had to learn to live with it. I try and run non-ethanol premium which is getting hard to find so I end up usually running a mix. I find that my V-rod runs just fine on a mix or even a tank or two of ethanol. I make an attempt to only buy the ethanol from the branded stations. I don't notice a decrease in mileage or performance when I do that. When I'm on a trip or in unfamiliar areas and have to buy from non-branded stations I notice a marked decrease in mileage so that at 85 miles on the odo I'm looking for fuel. I would say running down the Interstate I lose about 10-15 miles of range with ethanol. I NEVER store the bike with ethanol fuel or in any other gasoline engine for that matter. I learned the hard way to keep it out of small engines as much as possible.

IMO ethanol is a boondoggle where the energy used to plant, grow, harvest, transport the raw corn/stalks and then process it far exceeds any so called benefit from reducing oil consumption.

·
Registered
51 Posts
only VRod I run is th Destroyer and it uses Racing Fuel, However I do run two carberated V-Twins and have had nothing but problems with the blended fuels. Lost about 5 miles to gallon and am STILL fighting a pop and a spit in both bikes. Still trying to find the right jetting for them to run on the blended fuel.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Lost about 5 miles to gallon and am STILL fighting a pop and a spit in both bikes. Still trying to find the right jetting for them to run on the blended fuel.
I've seen the mileage drop but never the pop/spit. Out of curiosity are they older bikes? I know ethanol will dry out and destroy some older rubber products and certain types of gaskets.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ethanol and carbs don't agree

My brother used to have a 98 Honda Valk with 6 carbs and he used to go to far lengths to not use ethanol. I believe it eats the insides of older rubber parts, like fuel lines, etc, and deposits the gunk in the jets. On the Valkyrie it was a hassel cleaning all 6 jets. With the fuel injected bikes it's not supposed to affect them as much but carbs and ethanol don't mix.

·
(Peter)
488 Posts
My brother used to have a 98 Honda Valk with 6 carbs and he used to go to far lengths to not use ethanol. I believe it eats the insides of older rubber parts, like fuel lines, etc, and deposits the gunk in the jets. On the Valkyrie it was a hassel cleaning all 6 jets. With the fuel injected bikes it's not supposed to affect them as much but carbs and ethanol don't mix.
Yup, Just had to replace or rebuild the carbs in my mower, weed waker, and hedge trimmer over the last three weeks because of this crap.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
All of my older gas engines suffer from the same thing.I cannot find any gas stores that have non ethanol enhanced gasoline.
I'm fixing to make a sediment bowl out of a quart mason jar on my backup generator to trap the excessive water before the carb.
When I can afford one,I'll go with a diesel powered generator.Then I will try to run the diesel engine on filtered transmission waste oil.If this will work,I've been thinking of supplementing my electric in my home like this,or at least my shop.
There was an old man that collected waste transmission oil from the big shop I worked in.He claimed he ran his old 5 cylinder Mercedes on 100% filtered transmission oil.
The shop owner was glad to give it to him,because shops are charged to have waste oil hauled off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
1994 FLH and a 2005 FXSTB
I could see the 94 but the 05 should be fine. One things for sure ethanol will not sit for any length of time without a fuel stabalizer in it. We're not talking months but weeks. It will clean out any gunk in the system when new which can cause all sorts of issue on older machines as well.

I have found that off brand stations sell a particularly foul mix of ethanol that even smells bad. Now I don't advocate gas sniffing but when you're pumping it if it has more of a solvent odor then gasoline odor you can expect all sorts of troubles. Also stations that don't move a lot of product have that ethanol deteriorating in their tanks as well collecting water, breaking down, and flushing any gunk they may still have in their tanks - never assume gas storage tanks are clean. On a recent trip I picked up some ethanol gas where the bikes mileage dropped drastically and it wouldn't even accelerate hard - it had the solvent smell but the odo said 105 miles on the small tank. It took a couple tanks of premium non-ethanol to flush it out.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Just found this on the Autoblog.com website

When the EPA approved gasoline with 15 percent ethanol content (E15) for Model Year 2007 and newer vehicles last week, it set off a wave of criticism that drivers would have trouble at the pump discerning which fuel was right for their tank. After all, everyone from police to thieves have wrongly put diesel in a gasoline-powered car (or vice versa). To remedy the situation, the EPA has now issued a mock-up of bright orange warning label that could be applied to pumps. For the record, the sticker says:

Caution! This fuel contains 15% ethanol maximum. Use only in:
2007 and newer gasoline cars
2007 and newer light-duty trucks
Flex-fuel vehicles
This fuel might damage other vehicles. Federal law prohibits its use in other vehicles and engines.

Like most EPA decisions of this type, the agency has an open comment period that will run for 60 days once the proposal is published in the Federal Register. You can make your comments via email or mail (details here). If the EPA goes ahead and approves E15 for older vehicles soon, as we've heard it will, then this all seems like a temporary "solution" to a problem no one will have, but for now, what are your reactions?

[Source: EPA via Domestic Fuel]

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
It damages injectors too. I absolutely will not run it in my Z32TT.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts