Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my buddy has this error code. Does anybody know what is the cause of this error exactly?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
So my buddy has this error code. Does anybody know what is the cause of this error exactly?
DTC P0502 is "VSS (vehicle speed sensor) voltage high".

The VSS is powered by a 5V source from the ECM (pin #34 up to 2006 and pin #4 after that) and feeds a pulsed voltage signal to the ECM at pin #33.

The high voltage error is usually a bad ground wire from the VSS to ECM pin #10 (this wire was black up to 2006 and black with a green stripe after that) but it also could be:
a short to voltage on the signal wire (white wire up to 2006, black with blue stripe wire after that)
5V source voltage shorted to 12V
Bad VSS
Bad ECM​

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My bike is currently having this issue...

DTC P0502 is "VSS (vehicle speed sensor) voltage high".

The VSS is powered by a 5V source from the ECM (pin #34 up to 2006 and pin #4 after that) and feeds a pulsed voltage signal to the ECM at pin #33.

The high voltage error is usually a bad ground wire from the VSS to ECM pin #10 (this wire was black up to 2006 and black with a green stripe after that) but it also could be:
a short to voltage on the signal wire (white wire up to 2006, black with blue stripe wire after that)
5V source voltage shorted to 12V
Bad VSS
Bad ECM​

Hey, your post might be older but I figured I'd give this a shot...
I have a 2014 HD Iron 883N.
Recently while riding my speedo went nuts and started bouncing and eventually hit "0". It has stayed there since.

I got code p0503. I changed the speed sensor twice...checked voltage to sensor wire and all at 12v....shouldn't this be 5v?

The vss replacement did nothing...is the ground wire, pulse wire, etc from the vss to the Ecm all a wiring harness connector? Can I purchase and replace just that wire? Or do I need a whole new wiring harness on entire bike?

I've ran through every ground, every quick connect, every wire and have checked for cracks and burns even cleaned connections etc...I checked vss wires with volt meter to find 12v which you say should be 5v...so I'm assuming the wires arent damaged since they carry voltage but they may be faulty and need replacement.

Any tips or advice? Can I replace just the harness from Ecm to vss or is it an entire wiring harness type if deal? Part numbers would help if you have them...2014 iron 883n.

Think this would solve the high voltage?

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Hey, your post might be older but I figured I'd give this a shot...
I have a 2014 HD Iron 883N.
Recently while riding my speedo went nuts and started bouncing and eventually hit "0". It has stayed there since.

I got code p0503. I changed the speed sensor twice...checked voltage to sensor wire and all at 12v....shouldn't this be 5v?

The vss replacement did nothing...is the ground wire, pulse wire, etc from the vss to the Ecm all a wiring harness connector? Can I purchase and replace just that wire? Or do I need a whole new wiring harness on entire bike?

I've ran through every ground, every quick connect, every wire and have checked for cracks and burns even cleaned connections etc...I checked vss wires with volt meter to find 12v which you say should be 5v...so I'm assuming the wires arent damaged since they carry voltage but they may be faulty and need replacement.

Any tips or advice? Can I replace just the harness from Ecm to vss or is it an entire wiring harness type if deal? Part numbers would help if you have them...2014 iron 883n.

Think this would solve the high voltage?

Thanks...
First, DTC P0503 (speed sensor signal intermittent) is never set by VRSC bikes and VRSC diagnostic books I have don't explain what could be the possible cause for this error. I could only guess that it has to do with a bad sensor (P/N 74402-05B, same as used on VRSC models since 2005) or problems with the wire connector at the sensor (P/N 72543-07BK for 3-way housing, 72544-07 for secondary lock, 72094-06 for female terminals, and 72096-06 for wire seals), the main wire harness (P/N 69200073 with ABS or P/N 69200072 without ABS), the ECM terminal connectors (P/N 69200475), or the ECM itself (P/N 41000006A).

The only way to replace the wiring for the VSS is to replace the main wiring harness or string new wires outside the harness that bypass the ones inside using new terminals and connectors (the wire routing at the ECM would be difficult). The part numbers for the VSS connectors and terminals I gave above are based on info from the VRSC parts catalog since I don't have the Sportster books and the Sportster parts catalog I found on-line had errors concerning the VSS connector.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts