Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a stock 2006 V-Rod with 5900 miles. The fuel gauge will show full at start up, then show completely empty within a few seconds of start up. The low fuel and check engine lights come on when fuel gauge goes to empty

·
Registered
Black 2007 VRSCD
133 Posts
Hi,

I have a stock 2006 V-Rod with 5900 miles. The fuel gauge will show full at start up, then show completely empty within a few seconds of start up. The low fuel and check engine lights come on when fuel gauge goes to empty
Welcome to the 1130cc forums.

The fuel gauge :( you will find a million posts on that, a million fixes, which for most people none of them work. Then you can try the dealer they will say they can fix it but they can't they will just charge you and your gauge will stop working again or work at random. The VROD gauge has been broken since the first one hit the street. HD has made changes, released new models but I far as I know NONE of them work. So you can do some searching, talk to the dealer then decide what to do.

I read these forums and a few others, I talked to the dealer and a local place and decided no one could really say IT WILL BE FIXED 100%. So I just use the trip meter and at 160 to 180 miles I start looking for a gas station. Out of California and it crap gas I start looking for gas 190 to 200 miles. The trip meter is pretty easy once you get used to using it. It's still annoying looking down at the gas gauge and seeing full after a fill up, drive 10 miles and it's on empty gas & engine light on.

Do some checking wait for other to post maybe someone has a fix that really works? But as far as I know there is no fix when it is broken sorry.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Engine management light shouldn't be coming on because of the common fuel sender issues. There must be another problem for that to illuminate. You need to check to see which codes are showing to learn more.
Read post 4 of this thread if you are unsure how to read the codes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the 1130cc forums.

The fuel gauge :( you will find a million posts on that, a million fixes, which for most people none of them work. Then you can try the dealer they will say they can fix it but they can't they will just charge you and your gauge will stop working again or work at random. The VROD gauge has been broken since the first one hit the street. HD has made changes, released new models but I far as I know NONE of them work. So you can do some searching, talk to the dealer then decide what to do.

I read these forums and a few others, I talked to the dealer and a local place and decided no one could really say IT WILL BE FIXED 100%. So I just use the trip meter and at 160 to 180 miles I start looking for a gas station. Out of California and it crap gas I start looking for gas 190 to 200 miles. The trip meter is pretty easy once you get used to using it. It's still annoying looking down at the gas gauge and seeing full after a fill up, drive 10 miles and it's on empty gas & engine light on.

Do some checking wait for other to post maybe someone has a fix that really works? But as far as I know there is no fix when it is broken sorry.
Thank you for the information, it's much appreciated. I kind of came up with the same conclusion, but hoped someone out there had come up with a solution. I will keep reading up on it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Engine management light shouldn't be coming on because of the common fuel sender issues. There must be another problem for that to illuminate. You need to check to see which codes are showing to learn more.

Thank you for the information. I will read up on post 4.

Thanks!

·
EXCELSIOR
8,554 Posts
The Beast is mostly correct, HD offered 3 different versions of gas gauge sending units and only the later ones sort of worked. The early ones, 02-06, were the most unreliable, especially as they aged.
He though has a later 5 gallon tank bike, you on the other hand with the 3.7 gallon will need to start looking for gas at around 130 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Beast is mostly correct, HD offered 3 different versions of gas gauge sending units and only the later ones sort of worked. The early ones, 02-06, were the most unreliable, especially as they aged.
He though has a later 5 gallon tank bike, you on the other hand with the 3.7 gallon will need to start looking for gas at around 130 miles.
Yes, I forgot about the smaller gas tank on earlier models. I guess it is a lost cause to try and fix the fuel gauge problem?

·
Registered
Black 2007 VRSCD
133 Posts

You are probably right it may be the 'Gas Pump" light that I was seeing when it says empty and it's full of fuel. OOPS :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes, I forgot about the smaller gas tank on earlier models. I guess it is a lost cause to try and fix the fuel gauge problem?
Punt:
I would get the tank close to empty (use trip meter).
put 1/3rd at least can of seafoam in the tank and shake the bike a little.
let it sit for a day -stood up straight level or on a block under stand.
then short ride and fill tank close to full.
add another 1/3rd at can of seafoam.
let it sit stood up level if possible or on a block under stand for a day or 2, shake it a little
- gauge parts may clean-up and function right

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thank you for the information, it's much appreciated. I kind of came up with the same conclusion, but hoped someone out there had come up with a solution. I will keep reading up on it.

Thanks!
I actually did fix mine and it has worked continuously ever since, many here will call me a heathen lying bastard who must has sold my soul in exchange for a working gauge, but here is how I fixed mine.

I bought a garage queen 04 with 7500 miles like you. I contend the entire problem is caused by varnish forming on the sliding main post.
1. Fill with premium gas.
2. Add one third can of seafoam.

Let it sit 4-5 days until the weekend.
Go ride.
When you finish your weekend riding, refill tank and add one third can of seafoam let it sit ride and repeat one more time. It worked for me and this fixed it. A 6 dollar fix.

·
Registered
2008 VRSCD
25 Posts
Yeah, I have been counting on keeping track of miles from the start. Seems to be a minor yet super common VRSC issue, but I always do that from habit with any bike and car anyways (reset trip odometer at each fill-up in case of random gas gauge issues).

FAQ | alteredstatedesign ...is that about the consensus of 100-150mi per 5gallon tank? Mine seems fine in early going, but if (when!?!?) I run into gauge issues, I will probably just use 100 to be safe.

·
Registered
224 Posts
2013 VRSCDX. I'll turn the switch to Accessories while I strap my helmet on. When I'm ready to roll I turn the switch to ON and start as normal.
Since doing this procedure my fuel gauge has been reliable. However, as a back up I always reset the Trip count to zero after refuelling and start thinking about filling up when I hit 100 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't want to burst any Seafoam bubbles, but Seafoam is nothing but ordinary IPA (Isopropyl alcohol). You already get 5-8% ethyl alcohol in every gallon of fuel (or about 6-9 ounces per gallon). So from a chemistry standpoint adding another 2 ounces of IPA to a full tank will really not clean much. It may offer a tad of ionic mixability to the fuel/alcohol phase separation, but that is all. True detergent cleaners are needed that will actually remove the carbon black that coats these senders over time. Chevron Techron is a good choice. Or a pH basic cleaner like GM Top Engine Cleaner. The placebo effect of Seafoam is renowned. Many "notice" a difference but I question whether it is just random happenchance.

·
Hillbilly on a Bike
17 Posts
I don't want to burst any Seafoam bubbles, but Seafoam is nothing but ordinary IPA (Isopropyl alcohol). You already get 5-8% ethyl alcohol in every gallon of fuel (or about 6-9 ounces per gallon). So from a chemistry standpoint adding another 2 ounces of IPA to a full tank will really not clean much. It may offer a tad of ionic mixability to the fuel/alcohol phase separation, but that is all. True detergent cleaners are needed that will actually remove the carbon black that coats these senders over time. Chevron Techron is a good choice. Or a pH basic cleaner like GM Top Engine Cleaner. The placebo effect of Seafoam is renowned. Many "notice" a difference but I question whether it is just random happenchance.
I agree to a point Im not a seafoam fan but Seafoam has some other stuff in there too like naphtha, which acts like a parts cleaner. Back in the day that was used a lot in parts cleaning tanks.
Just my two cents.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I vote Techron for this specific cleaning task. Over time it will remove the oxide plating from the strip. Fuel is what causes this oxide in the first place. Here's some basic info on the matter and why it happens.
Ron

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't say for certain that what fixed mine was this but I will give you a little back story first. I have an '07 VRSCX # 356/1400. I bought it new with 3 miles on it. When I hit about 900 miles, I had the same issue. I could be riding down the road and see a full tank, then I look down and I was at empty with the light on. Took it to the shop, they said they have never heard of that issue and if they can't find anything wrong, they would charge me for their time and not the warranty. Young guy in the Marine Corps at the time and really didn't have the money to give to the San Diego HD dealer. Needless to say, I had the same issue until I regretfully sold the bike at about 36k miles. The guy I sold it to had the same issues, go figure, and for some reason, he changed the stator. and for the next at least 5k miles, there was never a hiccup with the fuel gauge. Worked like a champ and still does. I bought it back and now I have to restore it. I know it isn't a cheap part to replace but as far as I know, it is fixed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts