Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I am pleading to you all here on this forum. I purchased a UK spec Harley 2008 VRSCAW, and trying to ship it back.

I am trying to find the EPA sticker on it, but I am afraid it does not have one. Does anyone know where it is?

Also has anyone shipped a European Spec Harley Davidson back to the states.

I called everyone at Harley Davidson and they are all telling me it will take at least a week to get me the correct form. I was told all I need is a memorandom from a Harley Dealership. I may have to have a friend here in the UK sell it for me. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh the bike and my stuff is getting shipped on Friday so if they bike doesn't go I will have to have a friend sell it.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
isn't the EPA stamp on the mufflers? and a sticker on the side of the lower airbox?

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
It won't work. The VIN will give the game away. Bikes sold in the US have a slightly different VIN than bikes sold outside the US, and this will turn up the instant the owner attempts to register the bike. The bike won't be allowed to be registered.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
hmm - i thought you can sell v-rod's in europe for a tidy sum? maybe better to let it go, and use the funds to buy new back home?

·
Non-stop-rider
889 Posts
hmm - i thought you can sell v-rod's in europe for a tidy sum? maybe better to let it go, and use the funds to buy new back home?
Plus with the exchange won't you come out ahead come time to buy a bike in the states?

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
It will work and you most certainly can import a motorcycle into the US from overseas and register it here. You are on the right track. You need to provide the sticker you mention or written statement from the manufacturer stating it complies with US regs, which a Euro V-Rod does infact meet and exceed.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
:them:

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
It will work and you most certainly can import a motorcycle into the US from overseas and register it here. You are on the right track. You need to provide the sticker you mention or written statement from the manufacturer stating it complies with US regs, which a Euro V-Rod does infact meet and exceed.
and once again the said sticker is affixed to the side of the lower airbox and stamped on the muffler(s). As far as paperwork from the moco, go to the HD Facebook page and post your plea for help their. I can almost guarantee that you will get a response in 24hrs or less.

Given that you are USA armed forces, you can most certainly ship your personal property home and register it later. I'm pretty sure that HD offers special assistance when active duty ship their bikes from HD shop to HD shop. Hell, if you're active duty and returning stateside active duty, I'm fairly certain you have one hell of a grace period before you even NEED to register the bike.
IMHO I think you would be better served selling the bike in Euro, pocketing the money, and purchase again stateside. The Euro models have a CAT installed in addition to being "tuned" down from the USA bikes.

Next time don't wait to the last fark'n minute:spank:

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
and once again the said sticker is affixed to the side of the lower airbox and stamped on the muffler(s).
I think this is only true of US VIN bikes, not ROW (Rest of World).

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I think this is only true of US VIN bikes, not ROW (Rest of World).
The owner must make arrangements for shipping a vehicle. Have your shipper or carrier notify you of the vehicle's arrival date so that Customs can clear it. Shipments are cleared at the first port of entry unless you arrange for a freight forwarder abroad to have the vehicle sent in bond to a Customs port more convenient to you.
Customs officers are prohibited by law from acting as agents or making entries for an importer. However, you may employ a commercial customs broker to handle your entry.

Documentation
For Customs clearance you will need the shipper's or carrier's original bill of lading, the bill of sale, foreign registration, and any other documents covering the vehicle. You will also be required to complete EPA form 3520-1 and DOT form HS-7, declaring the emissions and safety provisions under which the vehicle is being imported. Vehicles that meet all U.S. emission requirements will bear manufacturer’s label on the engine compartment in English, attesting to that fact. For vehicles that lack such a label, the Customs inspector at the port of entry may require proof of eligibility to import under the EPA exemptions or exclusions specified on form 3520-1.

Vehicles that do not meet all U.S. emission requirements, unless eligible for exemption or exclusion must be imported through an independent commercial importer (ICI). EPA will not allow the vehicles’ release to the vehicle owner until ICI work is complete. The ICI will perform any EPA-required modifications and be responsible for assuring that all EPA requirements have been met. Some vehicles cannot be successfully imported or modified by an ICI, however, and in general, ICI fees are very high

As a returning U.S. resident, you may apply your $400 Customs exemption and those of accompanying family members toward the value of the vehicle if it:

Accompanies you on your return;
Is imported for personal use; and
Was acquired during the journey from which you are returning.
For Customs purposes, a returning U.S. resident is one who is returning from travel, work, or study abroad. After the exemption has been applied, a flat duty rate of 10% is applied toward the next $ 1,000 of the vehicle's value. The remaining amount is dutiable at the regular duty rate

MILITARY AND CIVILIAN EMPLOYEES of the U.S. government returning at the end of an assignment to extended duty outside the customs territory of the U.S. may include a conforming vehicle among their duty-free personal and household effects. The auto must have been purchased abroad and be in its owner's possession prior to departure. Generally, extended duty is 140 days or more. Navy personnel serving aboard a U.S. naval vessel or a supporting naval vessel from its departure from the U.S. to its return after an intended overseas deployment of 120 days or more are entitled to the extended duty exemption Conforming vehicles imported under the duty-free exemption are dutiable if sold within one year of importation. Duty must be paid at the most convenient Customs office before the sale is completed. Conforming vehicles so imported may remain in the U.S. indefinitely once a formal entry is made for EPA purposes.

(NOTE: the vehicle must be "conforming" to meet the criteria for the Military to ship it as household goods)

A vehicle must be imported as a nonconforming vehicle unless it bears the manufacturer’s label certifying that it meets U.S. standards. If it is a nonconforming vehicle, the importer must contract with a DOT-registered importer (RI) to modify the vehicle and certify that it conforms to all applicable FMVSS. The importer must also post a DOT bond for one and a half times the vehicle’s dutiable value. This bond is in addition to the normal Customs entry bond. Copies of the DOT bond and the contract with the RI must be attached to the HS-7 form.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AOW if and when I pass through CA I owe you a beer or six. I found the EPA thing stamped on the Muffler!!!!!!!!! I am so relieved.

As for waiting for the last minute, I got ten days to get orders clear out and get out of the country. I will be putting that in then next time they ask me for a mental health assessment, telling them why I think I have anger management issues.

I will also be asking the Harley Dealer in Tampa to switch my headlights. Thank you guys again. I got the run around from Harley all day getting different answers from everyone. Telling me there are no EPA markings on the vehicle, and no help. The dealership I bought it from told me it was going to cost me 150 pounds about $225 to give me a letter saying it is good to go. I will definitely be writing Harley Corporation about that. Awesome!

Rufus the service department guy in Tampa actually got me some more info and basically told me it is good to go. Thank you all again.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
the "last minute" statement was in jest. I understand how Uncle Sam works with giving notice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts