Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may already know the answer to this one, but, are there any aftermarket exhausts out there that have the EPA stamp on them for db levels? Here in Denver they are cracking down and if you don't have that stamp there will be a $500 fine. You know the stamp that came on all our stock exhausts that says "this harley davidson exhaust #####-## meets EPA yada yada yada and so on. Anyways, any aftermarket exhausts out there with that stamp on them?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
vrscd_special said:
I think I may already know the answer to this one, but, are there any aftermarket exhausts out there that have the EPA stamp on them for db levels? Here in Denver they are cracking down and if you don't have that stamp there will be a $500 fine. You know the stamp that came on all our stock exhausts that says "this harley davidson exhaust #####-## meets EPA yada yada yada and so on. Anyways, any aftermarket exhausts out there with that stamp on them?
Not that I am aware of, I don't think as yet the issue has been great enough to force manufactures of aftermarket pipes to pay the extra expense to have them tested but you can bet that if the trend continues in other areas they will. Of course that will mean some big changes in the pipe industry also since there is no way they can pass with 995 of the pipes currently made.

Are they cracking down on cars in Denver also?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh yes, cars to. Anything under 10,000 GVW can not go over 82 db. Here's a thought, I have seen someone that made their own 2 into 1 exhaust using a stock vmodded muffler and the stock headers, anyone know how they did that? If I coul ddo that then I could have the stamp and a moddified exhaust and they couldn't bust me. :laugh: :angeldev: :laugh:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
vrscd_special said:
oh yes, cars to. Anything under 10,000 GVW can not go over 82 db. Here's a thought, I have seen someone that made their own 2 into 1 exhaust using a stock vmodded muffler and the stock headers, anyone know how they did that? If I coul ddo that then I could have the stamp and a moddified exhaust and they couldn't bust me. :laugh: :angeldev: :laugh:
For the stamp to be legal I think they have to be untouched mufflers. If you produce well over the noise limit I doubt they care if it has the stamp or not. I'm sure the stamp is just a way of busting those with loud pipes, most likely if you have quiet pipes you won't get stopped if they have a stamp or not.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
MY VModded Stockers have the Stamp and I have actually gotten out of a ticket when I point it out to certain CHP officers.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was another thought of mine. I am not looking for a set of extremely loud pipes, or for overall performance gains. I will be putting nitrous on the bike and that will give me all the performance I need. I am looking for a nice set of pipes that will get rid of the singer sewing machine like tone and make it sound more like a harley. Don't really care about performace, more so about looks and quality of workmanship than anything. But, I do agree, as long as I am not being abnoxious with the bike then I don't think that anyone will care. Just having that stamp would be helpful if I do get pulled over.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Than you want a set of Vmodded pipes. Loud but not Straight pipe loud and DEEP sounding.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have heard a set and they do sound sweet. But, how do I make my own 2 into 1 exhaust like I saw on here one day? That would be great, then I at least have some foot to stand on if I do get busted for it.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Hmm that I do not know about, call steve a Vmod.com He will know if it is possible.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Max said:
I think that was done by the member powerline. Not sure if steve is doing them now or not.
I have to admit that is a sweet looking 2-1 w/ the factory look. Powerline should market these bad boys.

·
Nucking Futs
1,109 Posts
luxlamf said:
MY VModded Stockers have the Stamp and I have actually gotten out of a ticket when I point it out to certain CHP officers.
Ditto myself in Chicago. I was at the Db limit according to their Db measuring devices that they use like radar guns.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I sent a PM to powerline to see if he is interested in doing the pipe mod to my bike or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts